Recording a guitar in Sonar X1

Author
Gerry1943
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2012/05/15 13:43:59 (permalink)

Recording a guitar in Sonar X1

I plan on purchasing an electric guitar.
I am using M-Audio Fast Track Pro with my current system.
My question is as follows: By connecting my guitar in one of the mic/inst jack of Fast Track, will I be able to record in Sonar the same way it happens with my keyboard which is connected on the back of
Fast Track. Or will I need to place a microphone in front of an amplifier.

Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

SToons
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 478
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/15 14:40:00 (permalink)
    It appears from the specs that the M-Audio will suffice, no need for micing an amplifier. Of course you still have that option. Lots of decent amp modeling software out there too.
    Ace.trouble
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/15 19:41:54 (permalink)
    I have the M-AUDIO Fast Track Ultra, the bigger brother of the unit you're using. They make solid interfaces.

And yes, just like "SToons" said, you can just plug your electric guitar straight into the interface.

The industry standard for amp modeling software is Native Instruments' "Guitar Rig". I use that, but also started using Peavey's "ReValver" amp modeling software.

I'd recommend you to go with one of the two (or even both if you can afford it). I like "Guitar Rig" best for clean sounds and semi-distorted guitars and it also features a great FX section.
    "ReValver" on the other hand really delivers in terms of authentic sounding metal and punk sounds (more than "Guitar Rig" IMO), as Peavey included modelings of some of their own amps (6505, JSX, Triple XXX etc.)

When you're ready to record your guitars in SONAR you just insert the amp modeling software inside the FX bin of the desired track(s).
    wardcheese
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/16 00:29:43 (permalink)
     I'm a sonar newbie too, and I use the fast track pro with no problems at all. I just wish it would give my headphones more volume. For guitar, I got the guitar rig with my sonar, but I actually like the scuffham s-gear amp sim better. not as flashy but the tone itself is richer, more ... well, just better. (IMHO, of course.) they do a free 15 day trial, so see if you like it. w
    Boydie
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/17 04:52:55 (permalink)
    +1 to what everyone else has said but I would like to add 2 important points

1 - You will only be able to record AUDIO from a guitar plugged in to the soundcard

I think this is what you mean anyway, and apologies if I am teaching grandmother to suck eggs, BUT when you mentioned

"will I be able to record in Sonar the same way it happens with my keyboard which is connected on the back of
    Fast Track"

I wanted to clarify in case you were recording your keyboard via MIDI

You will NOT be able to do this with a guitar plugged in (without a guitar synth, special pickup etc. - there is basic pitch to midi conversion possible within Sonar but it is pretty basic)

i.e. you will be able to record audio that can be played back (with effects added etc.) but you will not be able to change instrument sounds etc.

2 - I had been using SONAR for years with my MAUDIO Fast Track Ultra and I was never really happy with the Guitar Rig sounds, even though everyone else was raving about them?

A few weeks ago I discovered that whilst recording I had the direct monitoring enabled within the sound card - which meant I was always hearing the unaffected guitar along with guitar rig

I now MUTE the monitoring on the sound card, which thanks to low latency within my system enables me to get an authentic guitar/amp tone whilst recording - which helps the performance no end!!!

Good luck

Boydie
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/17 11:10:21 (permalink)
    Yes Latency or Round Trip Latancy ( RTL) Which is what makes a big differance, you cannot use Guitar RIg if your round trip latency is not up to it, I owned a Fast track pro and it had very pour RTL. You'll hear a delayed sound of around 12 to 25 ms depending on your computer specs.  

Of course you can plug a guitar into any interface but it will be dry. I use a mike on my amp , Not a fan of digital guitar tones.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Gerry1943
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:Recording a guitar in Sonar X1 2012/05/19 23:01:32 (permalink)
    Thank's everyone. Much appreciated.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1