Recording drum techniques

Author
RIZZY0
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 74
2006/05/29 12:24:04 (permalink)

Recording drum techniques

Hi all just wanted to get some advice on how I can limit the amount of snare bass and toms getting in the overhead mics or any general mic isolation tecniques. Any other tips for recording drums would also be appreciated. I'm recording into sonar 5 se. I'm currently building my drum mic collection.

18 Replies Related Threads

Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/29 14:09:22 (permalink)
    you can use the kick/snare/toms in the overhead mics to build the "main" sound of your kit and then reinforce that sound with close micing to get the punch you want. i tend to look at overhead mics as "whole drum set" mics instead of just cymbal mics.
    it all depends on what sound you want and also what kind of music. i have made some pretty cool recordings for blues & jazz with just 2 overhead mics and an extra mic for the kick drum. very open and natural sounding but for a rock & roll sound you are going to probably want a lot more "close-mic'd" drum sounds in there.
    i hate gating drum mics. you can experiment with placement of the mics to try to alleviate whatever bleed is causing the problem. usually in my experience it is a hi hat into snare bleed or vice/versa, but changing the mic placement can do wonders for that. just get your head down next to the mic and look out over the element to "see" what your mic is going to hear.

The Poodle Chews It.

RIZZY0
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/29 14:34:03 (permalink)
    hey thanks for the advice. I'm kind of a rocker I like the real hi end shimmer for cymbals with a real meaty bassy snare as well with the bass drum. My dilema (if you can call it that) is that when I eq the snare I can get that fat sound with some eq and reverb when I go to eq the cymbals I eq them a little in the hi frequencys to give them the real nice shimmering sound but the snare thats mixed in with the cymbals adds a bit of the highs to the over all sound of the snare and I lose a little meat. I do a little more eqing to get a better balance of what I want. I've been pulling the overheads a little further away from center and raising them a little higher but that doesn't do as much as I'd hoped
    Clydewinder
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/29 16:01:54 (permalink)
    if you are losing the "meat" of the snare, check the polarity ( people call it phasing ) of the mics. try inverting the snare mic with the phase button ( little zero with slash through it ) or both overheads. also i find it easier to start with the overheads, get them as close as you can to what you want, THEN add kick, snare, etc... using each spot mic/close mic to reinforce the overall sound. i find that a good sounding drum kit recorded and mixed this way always sounds as good as it does when standing in front of it. sometimes a touch of compression or the "cakewalk tape bus" effect plugin on the overheads can do wonders. i would also use low cut filters on all of the mics except the kick and maybe floor tom set around 75 or so ( experimentation there of course )

The Poodle Chews It.

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/29 22:06:41 (permalink)
    I tend to go ahead and let it bleed. My reasoning is that it is easier to EQ and gate later but if I've mucked up the sound with EQ on the way in, it means I have to call the drummer back in and re-track.

I use band pass EQ to find the snare frequencies and cut them out. Then I blend the close mic snare track in with the O Heads. I often have to flip the polarity on the snare track to get the low end of the snare back because of phase cancellation. Sometimes it helps to physically nudge the OH tracks till they are in line with the snare track instead of changing the polarity of the snare track. Really, you're more or less doing the same thing when you do.

When I'm blending the snare track with the OH, I will attenuate the highs on the snare track because I know I'm going to get them back in the OH track. So basically I'm just using the snare track to add what the OH track is missing.

Also, experiment with a multi band limiter on your OH track instead of crazy EQ settings. Use the make up gain on the bands like the attenuation of an EQ. You might be pleased with what you hear.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    RIZZY0
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/29 23:09:38 (permalink)
    Thanks dave and clyde the great thing about my sit. is that I am the drummer but I will give your ideals a try ecsp with the phaseing and the multiband limiter. The only thing is I like such different things on my snare than on my cymbals. The other thing I've noticed if anyone has suggestions is when I mix the bass drum I get it sounding really big and good in my studio headphones but when I play it on a regular stereo or walkman headphones it loses all the size and sound real thin. Any suggestion on how to monitor it so it has a better balance in the studio monitors so that it still sounds big on a regular stereo
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/05/30 12:14:54 (permalink)
    Make sure you don't have a polarity problem. Flip the polarity button on the track. Phase cancellation doesn't show up in headphones like it does in air.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    xdavidandrewx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/01 17:08:56 (permalink)
    Man thanks that is an awesome way to look at it and will really help so pretty much use the close micing to insintuate your drum set sound just add to it not to give your complete sound

Thanks
    mannex
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/04 12:04:15 (permalink)
    when i record my drums i use only cheap mic to put in my drums but its not sound so good.I've tried to put BBE Sonic Maximizer effects on my drum then its sound great.

Drum mic should be the best way to record drum.Im looking forward to buy it.

God Bless
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/05 02:58:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RIZZY0

hey thanks for the advice. I'm kind of a rocker I like the real hi end shimmer for cymbals with a real meaty bassy snare as well with the bass drum. My dilema (if you can call it that) is that when I eq the snare I can get that fat sound with some eq and reverb when I go to eq the cymbals I eq them a little in the hi frequencys to give them the real nice shimmering sound but the snare thats mixed in with the cymbals adds a bit of the highs to the over all sound of the snare and I lose a little meat. I do a little more eqing to get a better balance of what I want. I've been pulling the overheads a little further away from center and raising them a little higher but that doesn't do as much as I'd hoped

RIZZYO,

Once you've gained a comprehensive understanding of using various EQ tools, you'll be more able to find the sound you're looking for...

You need to learn the basics of low-pass and high-pass filters, shelving, and parametric EQ...As you get more familiar with those concepts you'll be able to tailor your drum sound to your liking once it's "sitting in the mix"...BTW, knowledge of the above mentioned EQ techniques also applies to getting the rest of your tracks to "sit" properly...As you get more familiar with all of the capabilities EQ has to offer, you'll probably find yourself doing more "cutting" than "boosting" on many of your tracks...

It's a lot to learn, but you'll REALLY be glad you did!

Regards,
    Papa
    RIZZY0
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/05 06:48:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info papa,
    I have been working alot with the eq but up until now its only been graphic eq so im spending some time using the parametric which is quite a bit different but a lot more versatile. I'm definitely in the ballpark of cutting a lot more and just boosting the frequencies I really need. What I don't understand is what these low shelf and hi shelf controls are I can hear what they do in real time but as a general rule I'm not sure what they are, as well as the different types of curves in the parametric eq. I've just been so use to the graphic eq but the parametric opens up so much more sonicly I just have to learn what all the "extra controls offer"
    bso
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/06 01:18:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZZY0

Hi all just wanted to get some advice on how I can limit the amount of snare bass and toms getting in the overhead mics or any general mic isolation tecniques. Any other tips for recording drums would also be appreciated. I'm recording into sonar 5 se. I'm currently building my drum mic collection.
    I think the best solutions to isolation Problems are..... # 1. Don't hit the drums hard. #2. If you can't help yourself AND you hit the drums hard.... then only hit one at a time.
    papa2004
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/06 02:44:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bso

I think the best solutions to isolation Problems are..... # 1. Don't hit the drums hard. #2. If you can't help yourself AND you hit the drums hard.... then only hit one at a time.

bso,

RIZZYO is a "rocker"...

Not hitting "the drums hard" isn't an option, nor is hitting only "one at a time"...Rock drum tracks are, by their very nature, going to have some fairly intense bleed into the other tracks of the kit...This can be very advantageous to the overall sound by selectively using the proper shelving, band-pass filters, parametric EQ's and noise-gates on the individual tracks...

Just my 2¢ worth...Please feel free to further explain your ideas...

Regards,
    Papa
    da_ardvark
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/09 15:40:01 (permalink)
    I just gate 'em and be done. I've never had any complaints and never had to call the drummers back in.

OTOH, my records haven't sold
    Freakwitch
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/10 17:05:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, I definitely recommend spending time with mic placement so that the "overhead" mics provide the foundation for the entire kit sound. Most days, I use 6 microphones for a drum kit: a top overhead mic, a side overhead mic, a front mic. These are usually condensers depending on what I have available. Much of the time I use Rode NT5s for the top and side mics, and a Rode NT1 for the front mic. Phasing issues are vital for these three mics, spend time and make sure they are (to the extent possible) equidistant from both the kick and the snare drums so that when you bring them up and pan them left and right, the kick and snare will be in the center.

I then will put a kick mic inside the drum for some "thwack", and a snare mic as well. The 6th mic I use is a "crotch mic," which is usually an SM57, placed between the kick and the snare, pointed at the drummer's crotch. This mic is GREAT for mega-squishing and for some nice effects.

This approach works well because you can get a very balanced sound out of the 3 overhead mics, and supplement them with the others as needed. But spend time with mic placement, and have a good sounding kit in a good sounding room.
    APC3
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1228
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/10 22:25:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bso

ha!ha!ha!...are you #$%@ing kidding me! obviously missed he is playing rock, huh? I play my kit very hard alot, and so do most rockers, just watch Daney Carey from Tool and Pigmy Love Circus play sometime. Playing drums hard is how alot of that rock sound is formed on drums, ask any rock drummer.

Anyways, if your a Bonham(Zeppelin) fan at all, Future Music mag. Oct. 2005 has an awesome artical talking about all kinds of ways his set was recorded. One album was recorded with 3 mics, one in front , one behind him and one overhead. Once he recorded his drums in a mansion at the bottom of a spiral staircase in a gigantic foyer, recording his drums with only overheads 10' above his kit. Remember to experiment as much as possible, at the same time definetly try all the advise these guys are offering, except not hitting your drums hard.

RIZZY0
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/10 23:21:04 (permalink)
    Thanks Man that seemed a little wierd to me ecspecially being that I noted myself as being a rocker. Maybe they were joking, any ways I had heard about the many ways Bonham had his drums recorded. I'm starting to make a little progress in my recordings as they say baby steps first before you run.
    papa2004
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/11 03:51:56 (permalink)
    I once recorded a drum kit in the bathroom of a studio that was housed in an old municipal fire station (complete with the original pole that was used to slide from the 2nd story down to the first floor)...The bathroom was huge (four "stalls" plus four "urinals") with a high ceiling--I'm guessing the dimensions were approximately 14'W x 18'D x 12'H...

We set up the kit so that the drummer's throne was backed up to the partition of the first stall (the "rear"--no pun intended--of the room)...I set up an overhead (U87 or TLM 170--I don't recall for sure) inside the first stall extending over the partition at a point approximately 6' directly over the drummer's head with the capsule positioned at an angle of approximately 10-15° toward the center of the kit...I set up another mic (I'm pretty sure this one was a U47) directly in front of the kit about 18" off the floor and 5' or 6' away from the front rim of the kick...Then I set up a pair of Coles 4038's (that much I do recall because I have an undying love for them ) facing the front wall, about 5' from the wall and 8' apart, at a height of about 8' with the capsules aimed slightly toward the respective corners of the walls...

Anyway, the sound was enormous and very "Bonham-esque" for the song we were working on...Unfortunately, the studio was shut down (that's a REALLY long story) not long after that session and I never had the chance to do a final mix on it...I'm also sad to report that I've never found a bathroom that sounded that good since then...

One thing I've learned, as the years have gone by, is that recording drums presents a challenge at times but a little imagination and willingness to "break the rules" can result in some amazing stuff!

Regards,
    Papa
    BluerecordingStudios
    • Total Posts : 916
    RE: Recording drum techniques 2006/06/11 12:39:45 (permalink)
    Some years ago I use eight mics, now I using four or five. When you create great setup, it sounds great. Less mics - less problems and greater compact feeling of drum kit. But dont forget, understand of drum sound is rather as section of multiple instruments as a single instrument!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1