Recording drums via midi

Author
TITOANDSWAN
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/06/15 17:28:15 (permalink)

Recording drums via midi

Alright I'm new to all of this (Midi, and recording on a PC) so please just humor me a bit. I have an alesis DM5 electric drum kit, I want to hook it up through the midi ports. First of all assuming this is possible, can I arm each track to recognize each trigger seperately for mixing and such later? Will the sound the DM5 sends out be the ones recorded? Assuming these things are possible, is there a way to lay out a tempo map so any imperfection can be quantized easily? Like I said, I consider myself ignorant right now and I need to learn a lot so the more help, the better. Thanks

4 Replies Related Threads

newguy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Recording drums via midi 2005/06/16 16:17:56 (permalink)
    Assuming that you are recording in Midi, read the post from Robo on converting midi to Audio and this will get you started.
    gizmogorilla
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Recording drums via midi 2005/06/17 14:55:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TITOANDSWAN

all assuming this is possible, can I arm each track to recognize each trigger seperately for mixing and such later? Will the sound the DM5 sends out be the ones recorded?

Im a drummer, dont know if this will help you, but you can remap all your midi triggers to be on independant channels which will allow you to seperate each drum on their own. I do that with midiOX, a very usefull tool! All my midi notes come in on channel 10, go through midiOX and each drum gets its own midi channel. This means I can manipulate individual drums and record individual drums as well. It also means you will need a lot more midi channels to record your drums but it adds a LOT more ability to tweak your drums on an individual basis. Hope that helps

G
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Recording drums via midi 2005/06/17 23:54:46 (permalink)
    Using the drum map, each MIDI drum is in it's own line (track, channel, whatever it's called) and can be individually adjusted in several ways. You can manipulate the dynamic qualities of your percussion line to a great degree. I just learned this a few weeks ago, and have found it helpful, since my kick drum was always coming out too loud. Greg
    TITOANDSWAN
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Recording drums via midi 2005/06/18 18:43:11 (permalink)
    Okay, well it seems I've got the program receiving my drum tracks on the drum map, but i still can't hear it. Is there some setting on my PC or in the program that I am missing, that may be muting the tracks?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1