Recording electric Drums with Midi

Author
taylordylanharry
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2017/09/12 19:59:10 (permalink)

Recording electric Drums with Midi

Hi,

I have Sonar X1 Producer and am trying to record my Roland TD-11 drum set using midi.  I have a Scarlett 2i4 midi interface with a Roland UM-ONE midi usb cable that I am using for the connections to my computer.  

If I just use the UM-one midi to usb connections and I can get the software to recognize and record each instruments as individual tracks as I play my set but there are latency issues.  I adjusted the buffer size, still had issues and read that I should get a new sound card or go through another midi interface to resolve this issue.  Now I am going through the Scarlett 2i4. The issue now is I can't get the software to recognize the drum set, or I am doing something wrong with assigning inputs or creating my drum templates for these devices.  

I am new to midi recording so there could be many mistakes I am making along the way.  Any information on my setup and troubleshooting or recommendations for how to record an electric drum set would be much appreciated.  

Thank You

2 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Recording electric Drums with Midi 2017/09/12 21:10:00 (permalink)
    Hi, and welcome to this forum.
    Make sure that your 2i4 is selected as MIDI input (when SONAR is open) in Preferences (P) MIDI.
    And that you select the 2i4 as MIDI input on your MIDI track / Instrument track.
    MIDI itself does not make sound, so you will have to assign a Vsti / soft synth to play back your MIDI.
    This video might be of help, unless you think it is too long / tedious. 
    It goes through setting up, and using soft synths in X1.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Recording electric Drums with Midi 2017/09/12 22:13:14 (permalink)
    You should not have a problem using the USB output of the Roland to your computer. If you have latency try bypassing all effects. That will probably be the cause of the latency. 

As well you should be able to also use DIN type MIDI connection, there should be no difference other than having the Scarlett involved, but that system should not cause a lack of communication. All midi notes will be transmitted and received. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1