Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
edpdx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2010/08/13 04:00:48 (permalink)

Recording individual midi/audio tracks

Please Help!

I have a Yamaha keyboard that let's me record my playing on separate tracks, without blending everything together. So, if I record, say piano first  and strings second, it will let me hear each one on its own track. Is that possible with Sonar? The reason why I want to be able to do this is because, I want to start recording on top of each sound and be able to hear them each one on there own.

Thanks!

edpdx

30 Replies Related Threads

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 04:18:21 (permalink)
    Yes, of course you can. It's fundamental that any DAW can do that.
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 04:21:40 (permalink)
    Can you please, walk me through?
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 04:33:41 (permalink)
    Hi,

Do you mean that your keyboard is multi-timbral and you want to record each patch
    (piano, strings) on a different track in Sonar?

May help if you list your keyboard and audio interface.

Eric.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 04:57:20 (permalink)

I record on the fly, so it is important that I record midi and audio at the same time, with each individual sound and take.

- Let's say I open a VST plug in and select one sound and record what I play(midi and audio) - Track 1

- Select another sound and record midi/audio again on - track 2

But this is where I run into trouble. In order to record the second take, I need to listen, to what I played first, in order to get a feel and record on top of that first idea/sound . When I hit record - on the second track, it blends the old and the new take together on audio track 2.
    I want track 1 and track 2 to have there own separate audio data not blended

Thanks

strikinglyhandsome1
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:00:46 (permalink)
    If you only have track 2 armed to record but it's still blending 1+2 then you must be 'recording what you hear'
    What soundcard do you have and does it have that setting?

edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:05:25 (permalink)
    I have an external Sounblaster. How do you change the settings?

Thanks!
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:17:18 (permalink)
    You will have some sort of pop-up mixer window. You can probably access from the start menu in windows if you look for creative or soundblaster or you may have an icon to click in your tray at the bottom of your PC. You need to find that regardless of whether this is the problem or not just so you know what settings you have available. It may also be under windows sounds. Have a search or read what came with the soundblaster.
    post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/08/13 05:18:22
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:25:43 (permalink)
    I already know how to work the mixer window on Sounblaster. I am thinking that I could route, track 1 to my laptop internal speakers and record the new take on Sounblaster, to keep everything apart  but so far, it won't let me do it.
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:33:14 (permalink)
    Ok, so I manage to work something out. Using Asio drivers I activated, my internal soundcard and external soundcard and routed - track 1 to the internal soundcard and - track 2 to the external soundcard, and it works, trouble is, that I want to be able to hear everything through my headphones, without having to wake up everyone this late at nigh, since - track one is set to the laptop's speakers and I cannot hook up 2 headphone sets.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:46:21 (permalink)
    It really shouldn't be that complicated. It can all go through Sonar and out of one set speakers or headphones or both etc. Unfortunately I've not used a soundblaster card in a long, long time so I'm unfamiliar with its inputs and settings etc. They do however work like normal soundcards and you can record and listen like everyone else.

You need to check the settings associated with the soundblaster and the inputs on each track in Sonar and the general set up. There should be no problem in using Sonar the way we all do.
    post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/08/13 05:47:26
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 05:59:55 (permalink)
    I finally have figure it out! The problem is that whenever you make any changes to Sonar, you have to either restart Sonar or reboot your computer in order to have any changes take effect. I had already tried to re-route the outputs but it never worked because I did not do the step mentioned above.

Thanks you everyone for your input

edpdx
    http://macjams.com/artist/edpdx
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 06:53:26 (permalink)
    I don't think you've figured it out, sorry. It seems to me you're totally confused. And remember that ASIO drivers can only use one soundcard at a time unless they're similar ones.

Read the manual (on your Sonar DVD) and do the tutorials to get an idea what Sonar is about.

Also your explanation about recording midi and audio simultaneously from your keyboard using VSTs is odd, to say the least.

The fact that you had to ask if Sonar can do multitracking (!!!!!) indicates you haven't done even one page of your homework.
    You have no idea of what kind of a beast you've engaged to

Anyway, don't let me discourage you! We've all been beginners. Enjoy making music, but don't expect the forum to spoonfeed you with the most elementary functions that you're expected to find out yourself.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 07:58:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Kalle for your help! Are you always this negative?  Why would you say, that it is odd for someone to record midi and audio at the same time? It may be that you can memorize all the notes that you play, when you are composing on the fly?

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 08:18:47 (permalink)
    Edpdx, Kalle is giving you very sound advice. As to recording audio along side MIDI its not that uncommon. On the other hand your response about memorizing all the notes is a little nonsensical. Maybe you really don't know what you have when you record MIDI.

Because you are using a very poor sound card for your recording in Sonar its no wonder you are having trouble doing so. However that card is quite capable of recording both and allowing a previous track to be played back without recording it on the new track.  Here it would greatly benefit you to learn how to do this with that card. You will need to read its manual and learn how to route audio with its software mixer. 

First you will need to turn off "what you hear" in its mixer. Its been so long ago that I used a CL card that it slips my memory as to the steps involved.

Best
    John
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 09:47:25 (permalink)
    My intention was not to sound rude or offensive. I apologize.

The thing I was wondering was your using a VST when recording audio and midi simultaneously. 

" - Let's say I open a VST plug in and select one sound and record what I play(midi and audio) - Track 1"

I understood this so that you thought you could record the audio of the VST in realtime with the midi, which can not be done.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 10:57:24 (permalink)
    I understood this so that you thought you could record the audio of the VST in realtime with the midi, which can not be done.

Actually, it can be done with the "what u hear" input selection on the Soundblaster routing output back to input, but then you run into the issue of re-recording previous takes on each new track as the OP is experiencing.

edpdx, the conventional way of using soft synths is to only record the MIDI. Strictly speaking, soft synth parts can remain as MIDI tracks until you are ready to export the finished mix. If your CPU is getting over-loaded, you can bounce or freeze soft synths to audio, which are "offline" processes that render audio much faster than real-time recording. There are other situations in which you might want to render MIDI to audio before the final mix-down, but I don;t think you've described a workflow that would necessitate that.

So you should use a single soundcard, turn off "What U Hear", and just record MIDI to individual MIDI or Instrument tracks.

edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 13:49:04 (permalink)
    Kalle! No offense taken :) You are right! I should read more. I record for fun, so from the beginning, I purchased whatever, I could afford(External soundblaster).

Back then I had a Home Studio and I did not want to read a whole lot, since it was overwhelming. I started to mess around with the external soundcard, and realize that I could record midi and audio at the same time, trough the 'what you hear option', I set mi VST output to the external soundcard and recorder it as input on the audio's input option and bingo, I was in business.

I now get everyone's frustration on my approach! Brundlefly explained how it actually works.

Thanks!
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 14:08:33 (permalink)
    And that's exactly it. You don't get to just jump in and start recording with any DAW. Each one has a very steep learning curve. Once you get the basics they all share similarity's and functions.
    So it's very much worth you time to do both jump in and try stuff but read, read, read. and a little posting here when you don't understand or get in a jam. Everybody here goes through it.
    The most common problems are related to the sound card and signal path.
    I didn't know that CL made a USB sound card? At first I though you were talking about an Audigy series which is PCI with a front panel break out box. I have one of those and It actually can make very good 24/48 audio recordings. I used the digital inputs and outputs. It had terrible MIDI latency issues so I bought something else. Unless I used MME for MIDI it was at least 12 MS delay or worse.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/08/13 14:09:36

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 14:18:33 (permalink)
    It is called Creative Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External Sound card - 96 kHz - 24-bit, and I do not have any problems with latency and records pretty well. Initially I bought it because of its ability to play Soundfonts but have I found other ways to play them know.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/13 14:57:28 (permalink)
    If you ask me I don't think this has anything to do with sound card options...

You stated you want to record separate tracks for separate patches or channels (Piano/Strings/etc) and then be able to hear back what you played and record a new track... you stated using a VST plug-in are you reffering to a soft synth or midi or audio effect?

Regardless

So here is what I would do.... Open a 16 channel MIDI session with soft synth(Virtual Synth) preset from the Sonar Preset menu when creating a new session... Now you have 16 tracks of MIDI.

Add your audio tracks.

Select your source (MIDI input via keyboard and patch- 1 is default for piano,etc) Go through all your tracks and tell them what channel and what patch. Assign the inputs to your audio tracks.

Now arm you audio and MIDI tracks that you want to lay down first (say MIDI 1 and 2 so you have Piano and Keys or one track at a time or however you want to do it-you can layer up to certain amount of notes- or whatever)

Then un-arm the first track (or how ever many tracks you just recorded) and arm the next MIDI track you want to record to....

Record while playing back everything... the ONLY thing you will record is what you have armed... if you have 2 tracks running off channel 1 it might re-record the data(MIDI triggering) you have assigned to channel 1.... so make sure you are using another channel.

You should not have any problems blending old with new if you have a separate track and the original MIDI track is not armed.

Then you should have 16 separate tracks of MIDI to mix as you see fit.

edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 01:19:49 (permalink)

Beating a dead horse!

Please bear with me.

- Began using a VST plug-in and recorded midi and audio(what you hear/Green) at the same time - like I have always done or known.
    - I then bounce the midi data to track to create a second audio track(Pink). - New learned approach

But as you can see the two takes are slightly different. There is something off, when bouncing to tracks.
    I understand the concept behind MIDI but I do not want to loose any details when recording.
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 01:35:43 (permalink)
    Hi, Edpdx - Coming in at the end of this circular argument of a thread - Something that may help in response to your last post here:

"...There is something off, when bouncing to tracks..."

Yes, I see the difference in what you've circled there.  Yes - there's something off, but not just when bouncing to tracks.  That teeny variance could happen when exporting audio directly also.

The Something which is "off" is MIDI itself, simply speaking.  You will detect small differences in the playback of any synth you can name, every time you play a project.  Who knows what all the reasons are for that?  It doesn't matter, because it's just The Way Things Are.

But here's the good news - It doesn't matter. 

For that first note you've circled to be 1/100th louder in the .wav form than in the MIDI track is something that No Ear On Earth would notice or care about it.  If you as the engineer can't stand how it's not what you intended - then fix it with a volume envelope, or destructively change the amplitude of that note.  But I guarantee you--the work won't be worth it.  You're being too Tight with your grasp on your music.

More good news - You can try several different ways to record your MIDI, and depending on the synth you're using, some will be more accurate than others.  You don't have to try just Fast Bounce or regular speed bounce--You can record in real time with the audio playing.  With that option (available in the bounce dialogue) you can sit with your ears glued to the speakers/headphones and you'll notice right away if something isn't being played right.  Odds are it Will be played right in real time.  But if you do notice something you don't like, just push Escape - answer the pop up and say Yes you want to keep how much is recorded that far - And then simply start a bounce again, from the point where you stopped, or logical place close by.

---There's some stuff to help you out.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    edpdx
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 01:46:21 (permalink)

I guess it does not matter if there is not going to be detectable difference.

Thanks for the explanation Randy.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 06:32:57 (permalink)
    Well I think its not so random as Randy is saying. It really matters what synth one using to show this discrepancy. For example if its a drum sampler such as Battery then its very possible for two takes from the same MIDI data giving slightly different results simply due to it being able to have a random function for velocity. 

MIDI is very reliable when it comes to playback of the very same notes played the very same way depending on the sophistication or not of the synth used for the sounds. The less sophisticated the synth the more likely the sound will be the same on repeated playback. Then it also depends on what is being used with in a synth. If a sound is being modulated via tempo and the ilke. There are a lot of reasons for MIDI data to not produce the same sound on repeated play but not due to any inherent instability in MIDI. 

Best
    John
    rbowser
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 12:29:30 (permalink)
    Excellent, John.  I over-simplified things in my response. 

You're right that the built-in randomization of playback in drum samplers like Battery and EZDrummer is a perfect example of how different passes at the same MIDI track are going to result in slightly different recordings - because that's the whole point of those humanization features. 

And with pitched instruments, there may be a scarcity of volume data which starts playback at a different level we intended when we're starting a recording from anywhere but the start. 

I've also noticed unpredictable slight variances from MIDI data to audio like in edpdx's screen shot, sometimes due to things I'm unable to nail down.  But they are variances so slight as to not matter. 

Lots of reasons our recordings may be a bit different than what we expected, and the degree of that kind of randomization varies from synth to synth.  Last night when I wrote my post, I just simplified the matter to "Yeah, MIDI isn't totally consistent."  The MIDI machinery itself works as solidly as ever, and as smoothly as it needs to.

Thanks for the post.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 12:31:18 (permalink)
    There are a lot of reasons for MIDI data to not produce the same sound on repeated play but not due to any inherent instability in MIDI.

I would agree if the OP were comparing one offline rendering to another, but he's not. He's comparing a real-time recording (albeit presumably a digital loop-back, not analog) of a soft synth driven by live MIDI input with an offline rendering from recorded MIDI.  Even with soft synths, there is some delay and jitter in the real-time transmission of MIDI and the synth's response to it that you won't have with offline rendering. This can cause small phase differences in a synths's built-in effects processing and in the interaction between signals from overlapping notes that would easily account for small variations in amplitude peaks.

Also, although it may not be a factor here, it should be kept in mind that what you see is not necessarily what you get in SONAR; the waveform display is a very rough approximation of the sample values in the audio file, and will vary from one zoom level to the next, and maybe even with things like track color. The visual representation of audio is useful for some things, but I wouldn't put too much stock in such a tiny difference in the displayed peaks, especially at such a low zoom level.

rbowser
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 12:37:33 (permalink)
    "...the waveform display is a very rough approximation of the sample values in the audio file, and will vary from one zoom level to the next..."

Another excellent point - Yes, I've certainly noticed that.  Thanks, Brundle.

RB

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 14:13:58 (permalink)
    If you look up reviews on that sound card it is seems to get mostly good and better comments from people using it with DAWS. ( better than my Audigy). So just a follow up on that point. It seemingly should function just fine, no different than any other entry level device. It's design was for giving surround sound for Gamers with laptops. MIDI should be 100%. Digital in/out means it could be all you needed if you use a digital mixer.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Recording individual midi/audio tracks 2010/08/14 14:40:33 (permalink)
    better than my Audigy

Most audio cards will be better than a game card. No? Sound Blasters are game cards. Creative makes EMU cards geared for audio recording and Sound blaster cards are geared for gaming.

Let the games begin
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1