Recording my first Grand Piano tonight!

Author
windsurfer25x
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1120
2010/09/09 13:51:23 (permalink)

Recording my first Grand Piano tonight!

Hi all,

Thought I'd look for some input here before I record tonight.. which is going to start in about 5 hours from now. 

I found this article which I found helpful.. http://www.doghousenyc.com/articles/piano1.php

Any one else have some advice?

I was thinking of using a pair of SDC's in an XY position overhead of the pianist and then distributing 4 or 5 LDC's close miking the piano (the room ain't the greatest) 2 near the non-hinged end and 2 or three on the insides of the piano... 

What do you guys think?!

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

5 Replies Related Threads

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Recording my first Grand Piano tonight! 2010/09/09 16:40:16 (permalink)
    I also like putting a mic on either side of the player to capture the player's perspective.  When you're playing the piano it really shakes you. I try to capture that feeling.

I like larger than life recordings. Leave the realism to a live performance in a concert hall.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Recording my first Grand Piano tonight! 2010/09/09 20:20:54 (permalink)
    I wanted to say something earlier... but it seemed like you had it under control.

I just read the dog house article.

I saw this, which is what I had wanted to say earlier:

"Every piano is different. Suggestions for mic positioning are just that-suggestions. Walk around the open instrument while someone is playing, cover up one ear and let the open ear guide you as to where a mic should go. Then make test recordings and evaluate them. Factor this into your time budget-if you don't, you are relying on luck."

I think that covers it.

Personally I like it to sound good in mono. I'm less worried about imaging the player's position and more interested in the room or creating the impression there is a room later.

best regards,
    mike

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recording my first Grand Piano tonight! 2010/09/10 08:00:05 (permalink)
    Next day now: so ..... how did it go?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Recording my first Grand Piano tonight! 2010/09/10 14:43:17 (permalink)
    I thought it sounded pretty good! Sorry got a bunch to do today so I don't really have time for a lengthy response but I really like the sound of the SDC (AT 4021's) XY pair I set up just above the pianist, and my pair of AT 4050's I positioned close to where the hammer's were hitting the strings which I thought really capture the mid's pretty well I also put one LDC in the longer part of the piano more in the "treble" area which got a nice tone too!

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

tls11823
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    Re:Recording my first Grand Piano tonight! 2010/09/11 16:45:53 (permalink)
    I've been recording a friend's grand piano and have tried a lot of advice from a lot of printed and web sources.  In the spirit of experimentation I tried a setup that - according to most of what I've read - shouldn't work, but it really does.  I just set up two condensers about three feet apart from each other, pointed directly at the fully-open lid.  I get a spread of notes all over the stereo spectrum, but it's not just the high notes on one side and the low notes on the other.  (I never really liked that effect.)  But with the method I've been using I get a really full sound that's nicely balanced.  I'd imagine it's a function of the room - a standard living room with the piano in the corner, carpeting on the floor, and nothing really "right" for recording.  But somehow it works better than closed-lid techniques, artist-perspective placements, and the other generally accepted methods.

It just reinforces the old saw that there are no right or wrong ways to record, and that experimentation is the best tool in the box.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1