Recording problems with SONAR LE / Edirol UA-25

Author
awanata
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
2009/05/26 05:32:29 (permalink)

Recording problems with SONAR LE / Edirol UA-25

Hi!

I got Edirol UA-25 / Sonar LE recently. The problem is that I can not get Record-function working.
I have tried Sonar LE sample files like Downtown.cwp. I added an audio track for recording but all I get is a dead line when I arm the track and start recording.

Midi Devices:
Inputs: EDIROL UA-25
Outputs: Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth and EDIROL UA-25

These are the only alternatives given by Sonar LE for Audio Track:
Input: Stereo EDIROL UA-25 IN L
Output: EDIROL UA-25 OUT L

Sonar plays both audio and midi tracks ok.
Any idea how to get Record working?

Regards,
Awanata

3 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Gold Member
    • Total Posts : 4354
    RE: Recording problems with SONAR LE / Edirol UA-25 2009/05/26 06:20:49 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum, Anwata!

Two things I want you to check:

1) If you can see the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth then you're running SONAR in MME driver mode. MME driver mode is an older mode designed for backward compatbility but it is slow (has high latency) and not suitable for realtime processing or playing of softsynths. It is the only mode that gives you access to the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, but there are many alternative and better synthesizers that can be used instead with one of the two newer and low-latency modes: WDM/KS and ASIO. I recommend you try either of the other two modes and use other software synthesizers.

2) The Edirol UA-25 has three sample rates selectable by a small switch on the back-lower-right side: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz. In the 44.1kHz and 48kHz sample rate positions it can play and record simultaneously under software control. But in the 96kHz position there is a second switch (back-top-right side) that selects playback or recording--in that mode you have to manually select whether you want to record or playback. This device will do 96kHz but it is not a convenient implementation. I recommend you just us the 44.1kHz or 48kHz unless you really have to have 96kHz (and if you really need 96kHz then you probably need a different audio interface more suitable for the required tasks).

So, basically, switch to ASIO or WDM/KS mode and don't use 96kHz--that might help the problem you're experiencing.
    awanata
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Recording problems with SONAR LE / Edirol UA-25 2009/05/26 08:47:53 (permalink)
    Hi and thanks!

1. I have Options -> Audio -> Advanced -> Driver Mode ASIO
    Options -> Audio -> Drivers show:
    Input drivers: EDIROL UA-25 IN L
    Output drivers: EDIROL UA-25 OUT L

2. I am using 44.1kHz, EDIROL´s advanced switch set "On" (advanced mode) as the manual instructs.

And the Record function does not work. Recording activates but I get only silence, ie. straight line.
    The driver´s set up is based on the Edirol´s Owner´s Manual. The only thing which differs is, that in driver´s section
    manual says "Midi Music Play Back" (page 27) "EDIROL UA-25 MIDI OUT". My Windows XP shows EDIROL UA-25" instead.

In Sonar LE I have to use Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth to be able to play midifile (downtown.cwp).
    Midifile does not play if I set EDIROL UA-25 as midi output, ie at the top of the output list (Options -> Midi devices -> Outputs).

Hmmmmmm,
    Awanata
    techead
    Gold Member
    • Total Posts : 4354
    RE: Recording problems with SONAR LE / Edirol UA-25 2009/05/26 14:14:08 (permalink)
    Yeah, the Edirol UA-25's MIDI out won't be much help as a target MIDI device for MIDI tracks in SONAR unless you have a hardware synthesizer connected to it.

Another thing I thought you should check is the front-panel button labeled "Digital IN" on the Edirol UA-25. That switch will cause the analog inputs to become disconnected and swap in the digital/optical inputs (on the back) instead. So, if you're not using the digital/optical inputs on the back of the unit but you have the digital input switch engaged then you won't get any audio.

So make sure the digital IN switch is not pushed in (if it is you should have a red light turned on next to it).
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 4.6