Recording question

Author
bwong365
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2005/09/01 15:03:25 (permalink)

Recording question

Can I first record a track, then record another track while the first one is playing, without including the first one in the second one. Ex) a rhythm guitar track followed by a solo?

4 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Recording question 2005/09/01 15:40:39 (permalink)
    Absolutely! You can record as many separate tracks that your computer will handle. But, make sure your sound card is set up properly or the tracks will bleed into one another. Make sure that your soundcard is set to only record from whatever source you are recording into. For example, if you have your signal going into the "line in" port on your sound card, then you should have the sound card set to only record from the "line in" port.

For a stock soundcard, double click on the little speaker icon in the system tray at the bottom right of the screen. The "Volume Control" panel will pop up. Hit OPTIONS-->PROPERTIES, then select the RECORDING control button. Make sure all the boxes in the bottom part of the window have check marks in them, then hit OK.

Now you should see a box with a bunch of sliders in it. In our example, we have our instrument plugged into the "line in" port - so, make sure that the box below the "line in" slider is checked and that the master and line in sliders are all the way up. Now, you can close the box and your tracks shouldn't bleed into each other.

If you are using a SB card or an after-market card, you may have a different Recording Properties interface. Find that and make sure you have "What You Hear" or anything similkar to that turned off in the recording section. Only select whatever port you want to record from.

Jeff
    bwong365
    RE: Recording question 2005/09/02 01:55:50 (permalink)
    Ok, now how do I solve the problem of not being able to select "line in"? I click on it and it doesn't check, just blinks. I muted stereo mix on volume properties and it doesn't record anything. I then tried changing the input monitoring option on music creator and it still doesn't let me check the box.

Ben:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1GB RAM
    ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    ATI All In Wonder Pro 9800
    Windows XP Home
    Music Creator Pro24 2004
    bwong365
    RE: Recording question 2005/09/02 02:01:18 (permalink)
    Sorry, I guess I solved my own problem. It turns out that my S/PDIF-Out option on asus's "sound effect" needs to be on digital only and not digital+analog. I don't even know what that is, but I fiddled around with the options and solved the problem.

Ben:
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    1GB RAM
    ASUS A8V Deluxe Motherboard
    Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
    ATI All In Wonder Pro 9800
    Windows XP Home
    Music Creator Pro24 2004
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Recording question 2005/09/02 02:21:14 (permalink)
    You fixed it so I delete my suggestion, except for a friendly warning that the
    Realtek '97 Audio integrated soundcard

May cause you further headaches in the future.

If you search this forum you will see nothing but unhappy owners.

Glad to see you running. Good Luck!
    post edited by millerbill - 2005/09/02 02:30:21
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1