Helpful ReplyRecording real drum kit

Author
Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
2016/11/22 09:27:34 (permalink)

Recording real drum kit

I may need to learn how to record real drums instead of using Toontrack like I've been using for years.

the drums will be set up on a stage in a small rectangular shaped church sanctuary (carpeted floor), with a pony wall immediately beside them and the exterior wall of the church about 6 feet from that. behind them is an interior wall that goes to the ceiling, so they're kind of nestled in a corner.  there is no drum cage, they are otherwise open.  for recording, I could pull them out to the center of the stage if it makes more sense to do that.

I don't have a lot of mics to use.  I can probably get a dynamic kick mic.  I have 2 small pencil mics (CAD C-9) and I have 3 large diaphram mics including a Shure KSM44, an MXL-V67M and an AT-2020.

I have a MOTU Ultralite MK3, so I have plenty of channels to use, but not a lot of mics.

I'm currently thinking I'd hang the KSM44 and the AT-2020 over the drummers' shoulders, getting a kick mic and putting one of the pencil mic's at the snare.  

does that sound reasonable?  is there anything else I should be considering?
post edited by Beagle - 2016/11/22 16:22:33

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 10:28:01 (permalink)
that'd be a good setup for a studio,
but i think NOT for a live production,
especially in a church.

drummer needs to play lightly, 
and be well miced and mixed.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 10:58:18 (permalink)
As always, it depends.  The rest of the band, drummer and spot.  I would think I'd try the corner - that should provide some shielding against the band bleed (tho maybe not).

Dynamic on the kick and probably the AT on the snare - both close.  Then I'd probably try to catch the rest of the kit, esp. the toms, with the pencil mic(s).  I would hope you'd catch enough brass with bleed - I usually do.  But of course keeping out band bleed is a bigger priority.  Be prepared to make the band work long (tho not hard) to get your mics up. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Beagle
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 10:59:41 (permalink)
Thanks bats, I should have made it more clear - this would be just for recording drums for a couple of songs, I wouldn't be leaving the mics for live.  the church is small and I'm not mic'ing the drums for live at all.

Beagle
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 11:01:40 (permalink)
AT
As always, it depends.  The rest of the band, drummer and spot.  I would think I'd try the corner - that should provide some shielding against the band bleed (tho maybe not).

Dynamic on the kick and probably the AT on the snare - both close.  Then I'd probably try to catch the rest of the kit, esp. the toms, with the pencil mic(s).  I would hope you'd catch enough brass with bleed - I usually do.  But of course keeping out band bleed is a bigger priority.  Be prepared to make the band work long (tho not hard) to get your mics up. 

Ah!  another thing I left out!  This would be recording the drums only with the drummer using a scratch recording of the band playing of the song in his ears, there will be no band recorded at the same time - at least at this time for these recordings.
post edited by Beagle - 2016/11/22 11:48:06

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 11:19:56 (permalink)
Sounds like a plan. If you have lots of distant Mics, you might use a tool like Melda auto align to handle phase.

Use a Mic cable to measure distance from center of snare to each pencil SDC. Keep the distance equal for both. This will help with phase.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Beagle
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 11:46:53 (permalink)
gswitz
Sounds like a plan. If you have lots of distant Mics, you might use a tool like Melda auto align to handle phase.

Use a Mic cable to measure distance from center of snare to each pencil SDC. Keep the distance equal for both. This will help with phase.

great tips, Geoff, thanks!

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 13:36:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2016/11/23 09:37:34
i'm curious how the church ambience will work out for you. please take the time and let us know afterwards.

as regards micing a drum kit with only a few mics - this may be very helpful (yes it does work nicely even if the mic placement seems odd): http://therecordingrevolution.com/the-glyn-johns-drum-recording-method/

make sure you a have really good pair of overheads. if in doubt, borrow some and try alternatives (definitely worth the effort). work with the mic placement - it pays back. and if done properly, it can save you all the phase align work (apart from engaging some phase switch)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Beagle
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/22 15:44:00 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
i'm curious how the church ambience will work out for you. please take the time and let us know afterwards.

as regards micing a drum kit with only a few mics - this may be very helpful (yes it does work nicely even if the mic placement seems odd): http://therecordingrevolution.com/the-glyn-johns-drum-recording-method/

make sure you a have really good pair of overheads. if in doubt, borrow some and try alternatives (definitely worth the effort). work with the mic placement - it pays back. and if done properly, it can save you all the phase align work (apart from engaging some phase switch)

Interesting approach, he has, Rob, thanks for sharing!  

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 07:08:31 (permalink)
If you have time (and patience!) try each method here in your space.
http://recordinghacks.com/2010/04/03/drum-overhead-microphone-technique-comparison/

Then pick the one that sounds the best to you!
Bottom line is there is no one correct way to record drums.  Success has been found with and without "Room" mikes that set back from the drums.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
gswitz
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 09:48:38 (permalink)
fwiw, I rarely use XY or ORTF when mic'ing drumz. I almost always space them out, and yes there can be phase issues related to spacing them out. But, I mic each drum in the kit closely and then use MAutoAlign to handle phase problems for the drumz. Spacing them out is a big help for me. It makes it easier for me to play with the stereo spread later. I see it as near mic'ing a set of cymbals... sure they get all the drumz too but overheads get so much sizzle ... also, I close mic every drum, so I have a lot of control there.

I think if you aren't close mic'ing any of the drumz, lowering the mics so that they are kinda equi-distant from the drumz and the cymbals might help get a fuller drum sound.

If you can at least mic the snare, that will help, but the idea put out by Rob is really a great one. You've got a mic on the snare... not a low mic coming in from the side will really help you capture the toms!

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 13:12:26 (permalink)
patm300e
http://recordinghacks.com/2010/04/03/drum-overhead-microphone-technique-comparison/

this makes excellent reading.and if you never mic'ed a drum kit, you should take the time to do this exercise by yourself well ahead of the actual recording session so that you can walk away and listen back with a fresh mind. your drummer will love this, he gets to hear his kit in many different ways and you can get a feeling for what sound he likes and what blends best with the backing tracks. it is super helpful to have a sound concept in mind when tracking as opposed to relying on the mix to fix it.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 13:41:09 (permalink)
patm300e
If you have time (and patience!) try each method here in your space.

Then pick the one that sounds the best to you!
Bottom line is there is no one correct way to record drums.  Success has been found with and without "Room" mikes that set back from the drums.

Interesting reading.  I use the spaced pair method.  One should also notice that the closer the mics are to the toms, the more tone you seem to get out of them, and less box.  At least that's what my ear is telling me.  The clip for "recorderman" gives this away.  That technique puts the mics closer to the kit.   Listen to any of the other clips, and compare it to that one and those toms sound punchier and a bit deeper.  It's subtle, really, but still fairly clear to me.  

The other thing to take away from this...in my very humbled opinion, is that if all you have are overheads to mic a drum kit, then why bother?  It sounds like crap.  Boxes and trash can lids far, far away...  Close mic'ing is imperative to good drum sound.  You have to get close to those shell heads unless you have a perfectly dead room.

I'd love to be wrong about that, but I can't imagine any amount of EQ'ing that's going to fix those clips and magically transform them into a good drum sound.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 14:29:34 (permalink)
Voda La Void
The other thing to take away from this...in my very humbled opinion, is that if all you have are overheads to mic a drum kit, then why bother?  It sounds like crap.  Boxes and trash can lids far, far away...  Close mic'ing is imperative to good drum sound.  You have to get close to those shell heads unless you have a perfectly dead room.

don't quite agree as it all depends ...
first of all on the style of music it needs to blend with. for aggreessive metal you are probably better off closing mic'ing and layering the hell out of it, BUT for other genres 4 properly placed mics can be all you need for perfect blend AND good sound - given you got a good sounding kits, good pair of OH mics and a good room. for the most recent project we had several pre-tracking sessions just for the drum sound. we ended up cutting 14 mics (8 close, 6 OH/room) but the actual kit sound for a song comes out of 4-5 mics (quite similar to what Glyn Johns did ages ago), the other mics we use to shape the kit ...

BTW, the room is reasonably dry, but not dead (RT60 ~ 300 - 500 ms) ... don't think I could have done it in the churches we have round here (massive ambience in those old halls), so I'm curious what Beagle will share later on

Voda La Void
I'd love to be wrong about that, but I can't imagine any amount of EQ'ing that's going to fix those clips and magically transform them into a good drum sound.  

IMHO, EQ can never fix it, EQ can only take away if there is too much of it.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 16:18:42 (permalink)
I remember watching an recording session with the rolling stones at I think at Columbia. ??? but I cound be way off on that.
Anyway they had a wood board cover over the top of the kit. drum kit.
and if you have seen any early Hen house videos they had moving blankets in closing the kit.
That sad I No this... you don't want to pick up the room (Church space) there are too many things tat can go wrong. You need some try of barrier around the drums. list your mics and I or others as well can create a setup template.

Next they may have those portable  coat racks on wheel... I would use them filled with coats or hang blankets on them. The main Idea is not to keep the drums in , its to keep the reflections getting to the mics. First behind the drums to start. Then the sides.
You know that in the mix if the delay is bad you wont be able to mix the drums into the mix.
if you have some gobos... I bet
if you want more ideas or help.
Maybe this will be of help to you and its just my two cents... sounds like fun! Good luck!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/23 17:28:33 (permalink)
Oheads alone can and do work very well. It does depend on the genre of music a bit though. Say for Jazz a well setup Ohead sound is hard to beat. The only thing is the kick is pointing out the front and not up like all the other drums are so a pair of Oheads and a kick mic can actually do the job. (3 tracks folks)

It does depend on a few factors though. One is the quality of the drums. I have a Sonor kit and really they are up there as one of the best sounding drum kits period. Once tuned real nice a pair of OHeads can sound stellar. The room needs to sound pretty sweet too.

Also depends on the player too with Oheads. A real nice sensitive drummer who not only does not play loud but really knows how hard to hit everything in the kit, cymbals included for a perfectly balanced sound.  Someone like Steve Gadd can do that. And me of course!

I also like the close miced sound too. With care you can do both and get an excellent blend.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/24 20:29:20 (permalink)
If you've got a great drummer and a great kit... a snare, kick and 2 OH mics should cut it...carefully placing the OH so the cymbals don't dominate.  Grab a stereo pair of room mics too.  Don't worry about mic brands or types.  Look for your performance and the sound of the drums initially.  Let the drummer get your "mix"

If they're so-so drummers... mic as much as you can.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

MBGantt
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/25 22:38:34 (permalink)
I will start by saying that I haven't done a lot of drum recording but the best work I have ever done is with a couple of condensers backed away from the drums. If you have a good room (and a church can be just that) then that is where a lot of the sound is going to come from. I usually do one off to the right and one off to the left for each stereo channel. Experiment a bit with distance and add a kick or snare mic (panned dead center) if you need more of those and keep it simple. I find I screw it up any other way!
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 10:24:14 (permalink)
The genre that Reece is trying to record drums for is our band Scandalous Grace.  Sean has a Pro Engineer friend out in CA that said our songs were really good, but suggested that we track with a real drummer, instead of using midi drums.  

If you want to hear the style, we have 2 songs up on the songs forum.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
ChuckC
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1488
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 11:13:52 (permalink)
With What you have Beagle, try the kick mic, 1 pencil on the snare (facing away from the hats!) 2 large diaphragms as OH in a spaced pair about a foot above the cymbals, maybe to the inside to get the toms too.  Phase relation to the snare is important.   The other LD as a mono center room mic.   Listen and then augment if needed with the other pencil.  You may need to mic the ride or floor tom with the other pencil  You may not.

ADK Built DAW, W7, Sonar Platinum, Studio One Pro,Yamaha HS8's & HS8S  Presonus Studio/Live 24.4.2, A few decent mic pre's,  lots of mics, 57's,58 betas, Sm7b, LD Condensors, Small condensors, Senn 421's,  DI's,  Sans Amp, A few guitar amps etc. Guitars : Gib. LP, Epi. Lp, Dillion Tele, Ibanez beater, Ibanez Ergodyne 4 String bass, Mapex Mars series 6 pc. studio kit, cymbals and other sh*t.
http://www.everythingiam.net/
http://www.stormroomstudios.com
Some of my productions: http://soundcloud.com/stormroomstudios
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 14:03:00 (permalink)
ChuckC
With What you have Beagle, try the kick mic, 1 pencil on the snare (facing away from the hats!) 2 large diaphragms as OH in a spaced pair about a foot above the cymbals, maybe to the inside to get the toms too.  Phase relation to the snare is important.   The other LD as a mono center room mic.   Listen and then augment if needed with the other pencil.  You may need to mic the ride or floor tom with the other pencil  You may not.

If you are depending on the Oheads to capture most of the drum sound, it so depends on the player.  If the drummer is one of these types that smashes the life out of cymbals (and many are) then it is not such a good way to go.  You may need all the close mics and just a trickle of the Oheads in order to end up with a reasonably well balanced kit sound at the end.  If the player is able to keep the cymbal balance right in line with all the other drums (many aren't) then you can do it.

(many drummers play the cymbals way too loud. You only have to caress a cymbal to get the sound out of it. They are LOUD! Also many drummers hit the snare WAY too hard as well. It is just so unnecessary. The snare drum is also a very LOUD drum and does not need to be hit anywhere near as hard as many drummers think. The only drums that you need to use power with are the toms and the kick in order to get a great drum sound. But it is very hard to control your power like that as you move over all the surfaces in a drum set)

In ChuckC's example I would go dynamic on snare and kick and condensers on OHeads.  Spaced pair Oheads won’t sum to mono all that great so you may want to factor that in.  (nice stereo image though)  A foot above the cymbals may be too close.  (for a cymbal smasher that is!)  Try 2/3 feet for example.  A near co-incident pair above is also nice too as it keeps the centre image a little weaker eg the snare which you may want also but it will sum to mono better.  Also measure the distance from the snare to the Oheads.  The sound will arrive at the OHeads a little later compared to the snare mic. eg 3 feet above would be 3mS.  So you may want to try sliding the Ohead sound 3 mS early for example in playback and the overall sound will change on the snare when you do this.  Not essential but it can have an effect too.

If the ceiling is very close to the drums, sound can bounce off the ceiling and come back down and mess with the OHead sound too.  (for the worse usually)  Some sort of sound damping above the kit is also nice if you can arrange it.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 17:23:38 (permalink)
hi, if you like to read about drum recording....perhaps you like Val Garay's articles below.
He worked on records sold 120 million times of many famous artists and he's sharing his experience/knowlegde...how awesome is that ?

http://www.valgaray.com/d...ton-of-a-track-part-i/
http://www.valgaray.com/drums-the-skeleton-of-a-track-part-ii/

tfbattag
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 422
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 19:40:53 (permalink)
Something that I have found to be very useful when the resources are available is to close-mic along with room mics in different locations or using different room-mic techniques. If you are working with a genre or style that doesn't really need the close mics, don't include them in your mix. If there are any issues with the natural or room mics, you can always mix in close mics to taste (kind of like cooking). I find that regardless of the genre, it's nice to have a variety of tracks to choose and mix from. I don't always use all of my close-mic tracks, but it's nice to have them when you need them.

Thomas Battaglia
:wq!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Intel DP35DP, Q6600, 6GB RAM, Win7Pro x64; RME HDSPe RayDAT; RME ADI8-DS x2, RME ADI-2.
Sheanes
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 19:56:21 (permalink)
another tip Val Garay gave was, to make sure overheads are placed equally distance left and right from the kit, so the signal is recored in the middle of the spectrum.
This together with making sure the overhead tracks, and close make tracks excactly line up on the timegrid, gives you maximum push/power of a kit.
If the tracks drift away from eachother (time and position) you loose power and the kit can sound weak.
Sheanes
Re: Recording live drums 2016/11/26 20:00:52 (permalink)
and he promoted 'bleed' in one of his vids, he said 'bleed is your friend' and demonstrated how indeed the kit sounded much stronger/better with bleed. So that seems to be something not to worry about anymore.

gswitz
Re: Recording live drums 2016/12/01 10:53:48 (permalink)
I'd love to hear how the recording came out.

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Recording live drums 2016/12/01 12:05:09 (permalink)
the room probably has more impact on the sound than the recording technique.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Recording live drums 2016/12/02 09:10:40 (permalink)
batsbrew
the room probably has more impact on the sound than the recording technique.

And that's kind of where I was going with my comment above.  If you've got sound bouncing off the walls and all this reflection, OH's only are going to sound like crap.  I've never heard otherwise.  Close mic'ing is your best bet to rescue some tone and get something usable in a room like that.  

In a dead room, or at least a well treated room, OH's can do their job.  No issue there.  They can and do sound great in that context.  That's what I'm working on right now, myself, fixing the room.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Re: Recording live drums 2016/12/02 13:39:28 (permalink)
Voda La  
That's what I'm working on right now, myself, fixing the room.  

The best investment ever

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER

Beagle
Re: Recording live drums 2016/12/05 16:36:22 (permalink)
Thanks, everyone - I haven't done it yet, I'm only considering doing it for a future song project.  may not be for several weeks, if at all.

I appreciate all of the responses, tho!

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1