Recording separate audio tracks

Author
rwojtyna
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/10/13 13:31:22 (permalink)

Recording separate audio tracks

I want to record multiple separate audio guitar tracks? The first is the accompaniment and the others are solos. When I create the second track the first track mixes with it onto the second along with the metronome. I only want to "hear" the first track as I record the second, but not combine them? There was a way to do this with Windows 95 and 98.

I am using Home Studio XL 2002, DELL PC, Windows XP Home, Creative Audigy2 Sounder Blaster.

I have tried setting Calkwalk "Recording Options - Recording Mode to Overwrite (Replace)" and "Loop Recording to - Store Takes in Separate" Tracks. I have also tried turning off the "Wave" source in the Creative Surround Mixer.

6 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/13 14:06:14 (permalink)
    Sigh. We definitely need that FAQ sticky.
    Turn off the "What you hear" channel in the card capture mixer.
    post edited by boten - 2005/10/13 14:14:51
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/13 16:01:25 (permalink)
    This problem is one of the most common items on this forum. I'm not sure if this is the same thing as latency, which is easier to search on. The solution for me was to :

1) Go to options/audio/input monitoring - unhighlight everything

2) understand how to change settings on the Windows mixer. Uncheck 'What you hear' if that option exists. Make sure you have the recording options set for mic/line in.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/13 21:03:26 (permalink)
    This problem is one of the most common items on this forum. I'm not sure if this is the same thing as latency, which is easier to search on.

No, they aren't the same. This problem is incorrect routing. It is the exact same thing as plugging two guitars into a mixer and recording the main output, and asking why the two guitars are being mixed together in the recording.

Latency, on the other hand, is the amount of time it takes from the point sound hits your system to the time you hear something out of the speakers. Too much latency makes it impossible to play.
    rwojtyna
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/14 10:11:21 (permalink)
    OK Thanks to all.

I want to add that I am plugging my guitar directly into the Line In2/Mic 2.

So far I can now record separate tracks, but I can't hear the first track as I record the second.
    When I turn off the "What You Hear" and Input monitoring, then I can't hear the first track playback.

richy1rich
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/14 20:29:40 (permalink)

So far I can now record separate tracks, but I can't hear the first track as I record the second.
    When I turn off the "What You Hear" and Input monitoring, then I can't hear the first track playback.

Exactly.

With Soundblaster cards, you must use input monitoring. This may cause unacceptable latency. If so, you can try ASIO4ALL and see if it helps. The only other option is to get a mixer, and use that for monitoring.

Issues like this are why people repeatedly say that Soundblaster cards are not really designed for home recording, despite the advertising.
    rwojtyna
    RE: Recording separate audio tracks 2005/10/14 20:59:23 (permalink)
    Yes. Thanks.
    I am listening to you and I think I get it.
    It seems to me that performing musicians would commonly want to play acoustic tracks, much like we did with 4 tracks, and mix them down. I think that most of low end PC services today cater to digital and not acoustic audio.

richy1rich
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1