Reggae Resources

Author
foxwolfen
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8256
2009/07/05 14:40:46 (permalink)

Reggae Resources

Hi gang,

I have formed a new.. what do I call it... project? with a couple of Caribbean acquaintances of mine when I discovered that one of them can actually sing Reggae and is going to perform some songs at the upcoming Reggae Fest here. They liked a lot of my beats and the singer wants to work with them, and they liked the fact that I have a studio set up here with my MPK (which is an MPC with a keyboard - MPC is what most DJs use around here).

So, I need to find more resources for producing reggea and hip hop beats (more toward the theory side if possible). Any kicks in the right direction is welcome.

TIA
Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum

11 Replies Related Threads

Legion
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1986
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 08:20:29 (permalink)
    Rule no. 1: when kick or snare is hitting - nothing else is to be heard at all

Only really good thing is to have referece tracks you like. Most recources around ragga/hiphop are pretty bland and in not to few cases misguiding as the "hip hop producers" posting don't really seem to know much but have big egos...

Computer Music has had two specials that were OK but not good about hiphop and one good on dub, don't remember any ragga/reggae though. Modern beats has what seems to be a hip hop-pop centred production part that actually seems good (as are their samples) ( http://www.modernbeats.com/hit-talk/ ) and there's pretty much about beatmaking on www.warbeats.com (FL-studio centred) though there's almost nothing on mixing and what is is pretty basic. Gearslutz also has a forum about hiphop but it seems to be pretty ego-infested (as their mastering-forum) but you can find some real gems there. Also be sure not to forget to search Sound on Sounds archives, they have great in depth articles about the creation, recording and mixing of some major label tracks. Oh, to the opposite of what I thought I think I came up with some descent resources, happy hunting!

Anything special you're investigating as of now?

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 08:34:25 (permalink)
    Do you have a taste for what sort of Reggae your project will explore?

I like the old Motown influenced stuff... Toots thru Tosh so to speak, which of course is radically different from the modern genres of Reggae.

It might be helpful to figure out what sort of sound you are in to.

best regards,
    mike

Legion
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 08:54:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I like the old Motown influenced stuff... Toots thru Tosh so to speak, which of course is radically different from the modern genres of Reggae.

best regards,
    mike

True indeed, "reggae" in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and now the 21th century are totally different genres. Hiphop has changed a lot as well and has plenty of subgenres but the fundamentals are more or less the same and even though they are very different musically (and lyrically) hiphop has not had the dramatic changes in mentality or "feel" (in lack of a better word) that reggae has.

Sadly very reduced studio equipment as it is... ASUS G750J, 8 gb RAM, Win8, Roland Quad Capture.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 09:00:18 (permalink)
    There's a good selection of dub midi's here which use some fundamental reggae rhythms which are worth having a look at as Ragga, Dancehall and various other offshoots are all derivations from these.

http://midi.dubroom.org/

Check out Sure Dreads, Melodic Reggae collection for the best examples...they are pretty fundamental midi files but because of that they show clearly how all the various elements fit together for reggae music as a whole not just the beat.

Again you'll find many of these elements working in the same way in some of the more modern outgrowths and derivations of the style.

A good article here too on constructing various common reggae beat patterns and how they differ from a straight 4 rock beat.

http://studio.dubroom.org/tutorials-makingdubwithcomputers05.htm

Again it's pretty fundamental stuff but it's a good start toward rolling your own style and it gives some good grounding in the roots of these styles.

http://studio.dubroom.org

Itself is worth a good browse as there's quite a bit of good stuff to be had there.

btw Legions 'Game Over' is a good example of how closely related, Roots, Rock Steady etc are to modern Dancehall note the 'Skank' is occuring there with a synth pad rather than a muted guitar...its mostly the sounds that have changed but the fundamentals have remained
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/07/11 09:20:19

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 09:22:35 (permalink)
    Thanks.... you just gave me an idea!

When I was in the Bahamas a few years back...I met an up and coming artist who was in the studio working on his first project...... we became friends..... I need to get in touch with him.... and see if we can collab on some island music!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    foxwolfen
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 11:15:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

best regards,
    mike

I guess that is the real question, eh? I am thinking that Reggae has changed so much over the years, that I may be able to explore new territory. I would have never in a million years considered anything I did so far as hip hop or reggae, but Rawley (Barbados), Delon (my best man - from St Vincent) and Adrian (Washington DC) all sat here thinking it was great. I looked at them like they were crazy.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    foxwolfen
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 11:24:19 (permalink)
    Legion - Good references indeed. Thanks L. If I can come up with something half as good as your stuff, I will be happy. Very happy

Jon - Thank you my man. I had hopped you would respond as you seem to have a lot of the techniques down. I have bookmarked all the links.

Herb - You will have a blast. Its a very different way of making music (at least for me).

Composers Forum
    julibee
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2826
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/11 23:21:41 (permalink)
    Lookout, man. I'm hot on the tracks of JonBouy's links. (OK, well, I WILL be. One of these days.)
    Mmmmmm. Toots. Dennis Brown. Jimmy Cliff...

She who must be obeyed. ***New and Improved with a Scarlett 8i6!***
    Soundcloud     www.juliannamcduffie.com
    Legion
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/12 18:05:01 (permalink)
    This thread got me so fired up I'm almost finished with the basic music and song structure of a reggae song now (only finishing it, lyrics, recording, mixing and polishing to go ha ha ha...). It's been a few years since my last reggae riddims but sitting and reading here some music started playing in my head and I just had to put it into my DAW

foxwolfen
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/12 23:12:21 (permalink)
    Summer... reggae... bbq... what more could a person ask for?

Composers Forum
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    RE: Reggae Resources 2009/07/14 11:14:57 (permalink)
    Glad I stumbled onto this thread! Thanks for the links JonBouy.

All the best,

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1