Helpful ReplyRemome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence .

Author
Unknowen
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
2016/10/27 16:17:42 (permalink)

Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence .

I really don't get how to use Remove Silence...
I know that there are other ways to remove background sounds but the only one I know how to EQ and that just gets messy.

So on a drum track in this case (Tom). I can here other things going on but there's a lot of db space between the tom hits and the random other stuff. Could I use Remove Silence and just keep the tom hits? How would that look in the Remove Silence dialog box?

Also other ways to get rid of the random stuff for be great as well...

Peace!

Hay look,
Somethings are not locked in stone... lol 3/18/2019
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/27 16:51:07 (permalink)
I'm thinking you don't want to 'remove silence', you want to 'remove noise'   I'd use volume automation, take the unwanted stuff down until you can barely hear it, but not so abruptly that it sounds unnatural.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
mikedocy
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1157
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/27 17:00:10 (permalink)
Put the Sonitus gate on the tom track and adjust the threshold so it only turns on when the tom hits.
Set the attack as fast as it goes, the Hold to 50 mS, and set the Release to 200 mS or what every sounds good without cutting off the tail of the tom too abruptly.

Unknowen
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/27 17:44:47 (permalink)
jamesg1213
I'm thinking you don't want to 'remove silence', you want to 'remove noise'   I'd use volume automation, take the unwanted stuff down until you can barely hear it, but not so abruptly that it sounds unnatural.

I know a lot of you folks use automation and that makes sense. I hate to Automate. lo. But thanks for the knowledge.  It all helps me build the picture of what the heck I need to do.  :)

Edit. Yeah the advice on the sound stopping abruptly is defiantly great advice on why not to use remove silence. thanks!

Hay look,
Unknowen
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/27 17:45:51 (permalink)
mikedocy
Put the Sonitus gate on the tom track and adjust the threshold so it only turns on when the tom hits.
Set the attack as fast as it goes, the Hold to 50 mS, and set the Release to 200 mS or what every sounds good without cutting off the tail of the tom too abruptly.

I think I will try this before automation. ;)

Thank you both!

Hay look,
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/27 18:02:04 (permalink)
you'll hate the results.
get busy learning automation,
seriously,
the shortest distance from point A to Point B

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 02:36:26 (permalink)
mikedocy

If you intend to be using this technique a lot, I would recommend obtaining a suitable expander-gate plugin, such as this one:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/ProChannel-PC4K-S-Type-Expander-Gate

The Sonitus Gate isn't bad, but it won't give the same results as a decent expander-gate.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 03:13:58 (permalink)
There is only one really excellent tool for that and it' s the scissors

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 08:19:15 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
There is only one really excellent tool for that and it' s the scissors

I agree, but maybe employ a fade before cut?

I do agree with the OP automation is a pain, but to get that professional sound, a lot of people are using it.  I have just started to get into that and making EQ holes to free up my mixes.

Also proper gain staging as described by Graham at the Recording Revolution:
http://therecordingrevolution.com/5-minutes-to-a-better-mix-proper-gain-staging-part-1-of-31/

Groove3 has some great drum recording videos as well.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 08:52:25 (permalink)
To remove the noise and garbage in a track I will use 2 things. Both work extremely well.

First is the volume automation envelope.  I add the nodes manually and zoom in so that I can get surgical precision. Whether the automation is sloped to ease in or out, or if it's vertical for instantaneous changes, depends on the circumstance. I use both.  There's often a lot of work involved because each event requires setting 4 nodes and adjusting them accordingly.

Second thing I use to remove noise it the PROCESS AUDIO> MUTE .  I move the track I need to the top of the track view and enlarge it so I can see where I need to mute.  I drag the mouse on the time line to select the area.... the track is already pre-selected at this point. The track turns grey where I dragged the mouse on the time line and I hit MUTE.  I listen to the result to be sure I got it right. If not, I select UNDO and reset the area on the time line and try again.   Most often I use this particular method for cleaning up vocal tracks where I need to remove a breath or lip smack milliseconds before the vocal phrase starts. Perfect silence in this situation never hurts. And when the mic "opens up" in the track a few milliseconds before the vocal starts, it's never heard since either the music playing masks it or it's so close to the start of the vocal, the human ear/brain can not detect the sound that quickly.

I have used both of these methods with great success.... and even used them to remove a "pop" in a track without it being detected.  Zoom in and do what's needed. Then zoom back out.

BTW: I don't think I have ever used the "remove silence" function. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 10:29:02 (permalink)
Also consider using the Drum Replacer.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 11:13:21 (permalink)
Guitarhacker
To remove the noise and garbage in a track I will use 2 things. Both work extremely well.

First is the volume automation envelope.  I add the nodes manually and zoom in so that I can get surgical precision. Whether the automation is sloped to ease in or out, or if it's vertical for instantaneous changes, depends on the circumstance. I use both.  There's often a lot of work involved because each event requires setting 4 nodes and adjusting them accordingly.

That's very similar to what I do.  Can you not achieve the same result by simply cutting the space between events and then zooming in and drawing volume slopes before and after the event?  Probably not using the correct terminology...but nodes are not used.  

The problem I had with nodes is changing their values proved to be tediously difficult.  Maybe Sonar improves this, I'm stuck on Home Studio II.  Do you find placing nodes is easier?

Guitarhacker

I have.  Cakewalk calls it the "record" button. 

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/28 13:06:48 (permalink)
Guitarhacker

to me this sounds at least as cumbersome as going in with the scissor and just cut the parts where toms don't play and then fade the clips (of course checking by ear).

plus it leaves automation for later purposes ... which is volume automation of the track with respect to the overall mix ... and trimmed audio clips are less error prone (or have you never accidently selected and modified the wrong automation line?)

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Unknowen
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/10/29 01:25:17 (permalink)
So much about automation... :) I used automation with Sonar 4-8... yawn, tweaking tedious and there's just something I hate about it. :) lol

I want to keep things simpler then that. its not lazy it's just me looking for something else.
I'm kind of back to the "remove silence" option, then I can push up the tom tracks and use the overheads and room mic to fill-in the organics of the live sound. If I could set the remove silence right the full track cuts all at once and I can move on with something consistent. Come on, I have to try it... :)

Using eq this evening worked well on the laptop and I came close:) I'm ReRecording with a new drum mic setup and new tuning next week. Getting close but I want the toms where they "are not" right now and when I push them up I get the rest... Still need to try a gate. I have a few gate here now to look thru.  No rush... right... ;)

Thanks to all for all the ideas, they are important things to know, that feed the flames of creation. :)

Peace!

Hay look,
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/08 08:29:13 (permalink)
Voda La Void
Guitarhacker

That's very similar to what I do.  Can you not achieve the same result by simply cutting the space between events and then zooming in and drawing volume slopes before and after the event?  Probably not using the correct terminology...but nodes are not used.  

The problem I had with nodes is changing their values proved to be tediously difficult.  Maybe Sonar improves this, I'm stuck on Home Studio II.  Do you find placing nodes is easier?

Guitarhacker

I have.  Cakewalk calls it the "record" button. 

Now THAT's funny... "Cakewalk calls it the RECORD button....." 

I don't find nodes to be a problem.  I insert the envelope and it shows as a solid straight line in the track based on the default starting volume level.  I simply click on that line to add my nodes. If I'm looking to alter a since note/noise event/or anything else, I can simply zoom in to the point where there's space visible between the event and what surrounds it. Placing the nodes is easy at that point... then I zoom back out as needed.  

Since most of the things I do involve bringing an instrument in or out.... the zoom really isn't needed for that. If I'm cleaning up a noisy vocal track, yeah, it helps to zoom in a bit so precise placement is easier to achieve. I refer to it as surgical editing. By having nodes, I can easily go back to this track and if I need to bring that edit up or move it down further, I can simply grab the horizontal line and drag it up or down.

Quite often I will insert nodes on parts that I'm not sure if I want them in or not. By having the nodes in place, I can use them as volume controls for those parts. You can see that in the picture below in Track 7. 

As with many things involving Cakewalk and recording in general, I have found that there are often several equally viable ways to accomplish something. So what I'm saying is.... this is the way I do this. They way you described is equally viable as long as it works the way you want it to and the listener can't tell there was an edit.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Jimbo21
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 696
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/08 16:55:11 (permalink)
If there isn't a lot of tom hits in the song, cutting around the them is a good way to go. I do this unless there's a lot of toms, in which case I go the gate route.

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/08 17:35:27 (permalink)
PC4K, Sonnitus or another gate/expander is mostly how I do this kind of thing. Usually for removing background hiss from choppy guitar tracks. For longer periods of noise I automate the volume.

The way to prevent the volume automation conflicting with the fader-set volume when it comes to mixdown is to take the track with the automation on it, turn off all effects on the rrack then bounce it to a new track. Move the fx etc. over to the new track or duplicate the settings and problem solved. If you're sure whatever processing is going on on the "source" track is what you'll be keeping it's even easier, just leave the fx on and bounce the track to another then mute, archive or (maybe a bit dangerously) delete the original.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/08 23:26:03 (permalink)
Remove silence should work properly. It doesn't. Cakewalk knows this.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/10 11:10:02 (permalink)
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
Guitarhacker

to me this sounds at least as cumbersome as going in with the scissor and just cut the parts where toms don't play and then fade the clips (of course checking by ear).

plus it leaves automation for later purposes ... which is volume automation of the track with respect to the overall mix ... and trimmed audio clips are less error prone (or have you never accidently selected and modified the wrong automation line?)

Nothing cumbersome about it at all.

Just Click & Drag in the lower half of the track (Edit Filter set to Volume), move to the top half of the track (cursor changes) then just click & drag up/down. All 4 nodes are created automatically.

And, the envelopes are all ready and waiting for when you want to adjust the volumes of different sections.

I do this all the time.

"have you never accidently selected and modified the wrong automation line?"

Nope. For a start they are all colour coded and a quick glance at the Edit Filter serves as confirmation

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
David
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/11 09:47:31 (permalink)
http://www.wilkinsonaudio.com/product/debleeder/
 This works very good on kick and snare

David F

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/11 11:06:39 (permalink)
Jonesey's comment about drum replacer came to mind for me too. You can isolate transients pretty nicely and use that result to drive the tom. If you can isolate a good existing tom hit for the replacement sample, the result should be close. I have never gotten too deep into drum replacer, but think all of the above applies.

Gate is also a good choice if remove silence falls short.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/11 11:06:46 (permalink)
Dupe.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/18 17:24:51 (permalink)
It may be tedious but I like to cut the blank spots, set the fadeout of each hit & bounce to one clip.

I do this for every audio clip with long blank spaces.
sven450
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 945
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/26 09:38:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kev999 2016/11/26 16:26:07
Just change smart tool to mute tool and drag along track for all non-tom sections.  very, very fast and easy.  Much quicker than volume automation in my opinion.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
Roland Octa-Capture            
Win 10 
i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
Some songs
Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
Originals:
 https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
Sheanes
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 684
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/26 20:07:42 (permalink)
Hi P-drift, just today saw a video but a veteran pro recording engineer (Val Garay) about bleed.
He says 'Bleed is your friend' and as long as the bleed lines up with the other instruments in your mix, don't worry about it.
He also demonstrated how indeed the version with bleed, just sounded better than the one with it removed.

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Remome unwanted drums and cymbles, I would like to use Remove Silence . 2016/11/27 07:17:32 (permalink)
In some cases but it all depends on the bleed.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1