Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/12/18 17:23:36 (permalink)

Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver

Stupidly, I did not realise I was installing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver with Cubase. While this does not seem to be causing any conflicts with my Quad Capture drivers at the moment I rather get rid of it but there does not seem to be an uninstall option. Someone here posted it need a registry hack to get rid of it.

Any ideas? This thread on KVR seems to point in the right direction but its a bit like the blind leading the blind https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=393887

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

5 Replies Related Threads

Resonant Serpent
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver 2017/12/19 03:19:36 (permalink)
    Uninstall it from the program list, then delete the ASIO folder in your Cubase install. That's what worked for me.

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver 2017/12/19 03:46:40 (permalink)
    I tried a Cubase demo earlier this year.  This generic Steinbug ASIO driver seemed to cause a conflict with my dedicated audio interface ASIO driver as far as Sonar was concerned.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver 2017/12/19 10:23:52 (permalink)
    FWIW, There's no actual "conflict" caused by the Steinberg ASIO driver.

If you install a second ASIO driver, it can "bump the original driver out of selection" in Sonar or other audio application.

You can go into the Registry and effectively remove ANY unwanted ASIO driver.
    Remove the unwanted ASIO driver entries in the following locations:
    • HKLM>Software>ASIO
    • HKLM >Software>WOW6432Node>ASIO
    In my case, I have a Helix... and I don't want to use it as an audio interface (it's connected via AES/EBU).
    Just remove the Helix ASIO entries... and it'll no longer show up as an option in any audio application.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    ZincTrumpet
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re: Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver 2017/12/19 11:49:46 (permalink)
    I have a Steinberg interface (UR242) which comes with it's own Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver. 

Cubase Elements still installed the generic ASIO driver! You would think the installer would at least offer the option to not install it or even notice that you have an official Steinberg interface and ASIO driver 

At least it hasn't caused any conflicts.

The Magix low latency driver was more annoying as it somehow became the default driver for Sonar without me doing anything. It was easy enough to switch back to the official one for my interface though.

Thanks for the tips on removing the generic Steinberg driver.
    IK_Multimedia
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Removing Steinberg's Generic Low latency ASIO driver 2017/12/19 19:25:20 (permalink)
    ZincTrumpet
    I have a Steinberg interface (UR242) which comes with it's own Yamaha Steinberg ASIO driver. 

Cubase Elements still installed the generic ASIO driver! You would think the installer would at least offer the option to not install it or even notice that you have an official Steinberg interface and ASIO driver 

At least it hasn't caused any conflicts.

The Magix low latency driver was more annoying as it somehow became the default driver for Sonar without me doing anything. It was easy enough to switch back to the official one for my interface though.

Thanks for the tips on removing the generic Steinberg driver.

I ran into the same thing when I recently rebuilt my studio machine and installed Cubase 9.  I had the Steinberg MR816 drivers installed and working so I figured it would see and use those since there's supposed to be such emphasis on integration...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1