Reording Problems

Author
ChrisC
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2007/02/01 21:19:17 (permalink)

Reording Problems

Still struggling - I have been working through my MC3 Tutorials and reached the point where instructions are given regarding recording through a (midi) keyboard. I have truly followed the instructions to the letter. The new track records all the notes I play in but, it also adds in notes that I do not. Not just one or two notes, but quite a few and at different pitches from those I am playing in although the instrument seems to be the same piano. There is also a kind of "feedback" through my keyboard as if someone were just "banging" on the lower notes of a piano - it is not melodic at all. I was only recording on one track with just a piano as the insrument.

I have tried it with my keyboard midi settings both "on" and "off" locally. Have used both sound card and midi as outputs, with (for now) just the keyboards as the input source. No difference.

During the first part of the Tutorial both the keyboard and soundcard were used and were also interchangeable as outputs for individual and all tracks. No problems here.

I can record a complete midi file on the keyboard - to floppy - and put it in the computer. MC3 will find, load and play it. I have also been able edit the file(s) in this way. But I want to play and record directly into the program. Later, I want to add a guitar in this "direct" way - but have not got that far in the Tutorials.

I am using a "UNO" midi-USB interface. My computer is old but runs XP and does not seem to have any problems with MC3. My keyboard is a Yamaha DGX 500. Until now, I have had absolutely no problems.

Praise the Lord!

Help, please, all you experts. Thank you very much.

Chris.

14 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Reording Problems 2007/02/01 21:52:38 (permalink)
    Chris - what sound card are you using? if you're using your computer's on board sound card, change your driver mode to MME (there seems to be a rash of this lately!).

OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE = MME
    close MC
    restart MC
    run the wave profiler

try again and let us know if that helps.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ChrisC
    RE: Reording Problems 2007/02/03 13:44:17 (permalink)
    Hi, Beagle.
    Didn't work , I'm afraid. Still recorded the notes I played in, plus lots of others I did not - including some of that "hammering" sound. Also, some of the notes displayed in the Piano Roll were shown as being much longer than those I played.

I'm still able to record on my keyboard (Yamaha DGX500), save it to floppy and then open it up in MC3. No problems, but I don't just want to use MC3 just as an editoring prog.

My soundcard is an onboard. That, too is showing as a Yamaha PCI.

All help, gratefully received!

I pray that my music will help to usher others into the presence of the Lord, and to fight against darkness by better knowing we are not alone. Chris.
    Beagle
    RE: Reording Problems 2007/02/03 17:31:24 (permalink)
    Just to be sure...not calling you ignert or anything....but are you absolutely certain you have the MIDI I/O connectors in the correct I/O ports on the keyboard?

Next thing I might try would be to try ASIO4ALL

download: http://www.asio4all.com
    install it
    then change your driver mode to ASIO
    OPTIONS>AUDIO>ADVANCED>DRIVER MODE = ASIO
    you'll need to restart MC, but you won't have to run the wave profiler this time.

try again and see what happens.

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Reording Problems 2007/02/03 18:45:34 (permalink)
    What channels are you using? Use different channels for each track. Are you turning off the keyboard's 'local' button? In order to send MIDI data to a recording/sequencing program, this should be off, according to the manual. Not doing so could result in doubling of the notes, and other audio artifacts.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    ChrisC
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/05 18:22:38 (permalink)
    Hi Beagle + Greg

1. The ASIO did not work either.
    2. The MIDI leads were connected correctly.
    3. The keyboard Local On and off were both tried. Same problem in either mode.

I have tried restarting the keyboard and computer after changing all settings in both. Same problem.

It seems to only occur when transmitting. The playback plays all the notes perfectly, including the "thumping" ones, and the "extras."

When I view in the Piano Roll, the "thumping" notes all seem to appear at C "0." When I try and play into MC3 the first one or two notes play fine. I can hear them. Then the new notes I play are added to by the thumping ones, no matter where I play up the scales, the actual notes change but the "thumping" ones do not.

I do not believe it is my soundcard as the input is through my MIDI interface which is a USB directly into the computer.

Summary...
    1. Keyboard will record onto floppy and MC3 will read via computer (floppy drive) and play back the file through interface with no problems.
    2. Loading a tutorial file from MC3 - no problem with playbacks, editing etc...
    3. Recording directly into MC3 via interface results in problem. Playback is perfectly identical to what is heard when playing in - including the thumping sound. Everything points to wards the keyboard transmission, but I cannot identify the foundationional issue. I wonder if there would be some strange kind of echoing? any ideas, please.

Thanks guys, I appreciate you help. There is a solution somewhere

I pray that my music will help to usher others into the presence of the Lord, and to fight against darkness by better knowing we are not alone. Chris.
    Beagle
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/05 18:58:44 (permalink)
    You are correct. the sound card and driver mode has nothing to do with recording MIDI. It's difficult to tell sometimes exactly what is going on in these forums, forgive me.

My next suggestion is the USB/MIDI cable. I have seen several Yamaha keyboards that do not like anything except proprietary Yamaha USB/MIDI cables to connect to the computer. Usually they just don't work at all, yours seems to be a little different problem. Can you exchange the USB/MIDI cable for a Yamaha brand cable?

ChrisC
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/13 11:29:35 (permalink)
    Have not purchased new cables - limited budget. Perhaps when I can, that may solve the issue. However, I remember that I have had a similar problem with the old Cakewalk Program (years ago now,) and at that time I had, if I remember correctly, a similar problem. The cables I used at that time were directly into the joystick port. It put me off the whole thing. My friend (at the time) set up a whole studio arrangement and he started out with a Yamaha keyboard. Think he purchased a workstation after a while, but he did have success with the Yamaha. Strange, huh?

You may be right Beagle. It could be the interface, could be the keyboard. What is disappointing is the fact that MC3 virtually promises ease of use, simple, etc, etc. and then these issue arise. It is disappointing and confidence in the product has waivered. Neverthe less, I will not give up. Paise the Lord.

57Gregy
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/13 23:05:13 (permalink)
    The vast majority of people are able to load and use the Cakewalk programs with very little trouble, certainly not like what you're describing. I would try changing the USB/MIDI cable first, when you can. Have you tried using the keyboard into another computer similarly equipped? What a question! How many of your neighbors are set up with CW on their computers? Forget I wrote that.
    What are your computer's specs?
    Are you setting up the channels and patches in MC so each track is set to a different channel?
    My Yamaha can record a song internally. If yours can, try recording something on the keyboard, setting up a track in MC to record MIDI, hit record in MC and play on the keyboard, see if the results are any better.
    If not, it seems as if your keyboard and MC are not speaking the same language.
    Greg

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

ChrisC
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/14 14:31:38 (permalink)
    Sounds like I am going to have to try a new (Yamaha) cable. I will post the results as and when.

With regard to Gregs suggestion.... When I tried to record, I followed the manuals instructions to the letter. I only used 1 instrument, and that was the piano from the keyboard. I did not set up the patch in MC prior to trying to record. The manual doesn't tell you to, either.

What I did was to go into the program, selected "new" then selected "midi only" (on the first attempt) and "16-channel midi" on the second attempt. I then "armed" just the first track, and started recording. Then, I got the results I spoke about above.

I have not tried recording on the Yamaha, and then "sending" it to MC. I will do so and report back on the results. As you probably know, Greg, the Yamaha DGX500 allows you to save a file in it's own format, and MIDI. I am going to try it both ways and see what happens. From what you guys are telling me, my "problems" seem to be unique -ish. I really appreciate all who are trying to help. Thank you.

Beagle
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/14 17:59:48 (permalink)
    saving it in anything other than MIDI will not help you. MC doesn't talk yamaha proprietary format, just MIDI.

sjfoote
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/14 19:29:48 (permalink)
    And if you save it as a "song" on the Yamaha, I doubt that it will transmit the MIDI when you play back the recorded song. My Yamaha owner's manual states that there is no MIDI output when playing a song that has been saved to its memory - and I have verified that there is no MIDI output.

no better, just older
    ChrisC
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/17 19:00:20 (permalink)
    Beagle - I was unclear. I meant to save it in "Yamaha - ese" and try and transmit into MC. Sjfoote is correct. It does not transmit as midi. Although I have not tried it, you should still be able to record into MC as an "audio file" should you not, through the soundcard?

ChrisC
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/17 19:25:21 (permalink)
    Further update. I decided to go back through the whole interface situation. I removed all Hardware and software profiles and programs. I checked that they were not availale through MC to confirm. All good. Then I went to M-Audio's website and checked up on the Midisport-Uno (the interface) it specifically tells you not to load the software when using XP. However, if you put the software CD in, it tries to install regardless. Unless you read the help file, you would not know. I am at fault here to a degree. Did not read the instructions!

Once I had let Windows do it's own recognizing of the inerface, some things changed. I tried recording again and this time had more success. The "thumping noise" - the bass line notes, did not appear anymore. However, I still had other notes showing in Piano Roll that I had not played, and all the notes were shown as just long blocks with hardly any visible breaks. On playback the notes played in some places, and not in others. I got frustrated enough to call M-Audio - their website is not very helpful - and a "tech" told me that the "Midisport - Uno" is not compatible with Yamaha as Yamaha keyboards, etc, tend to constantly send info out. This is what causes the double and "elongated notes." The tech' suggested that I use a different product called the midisport 1X1 as this did not have the same problems with the Yamaha products. I do not feel happy about this and am returning the Uno unit and will try to source a Yamaha interface. I am told that the UX16 is the one to get.

I spoke to Yamaha Tech. Support too, eventually, and they confirmed the "constant send" operation of most products of this nature - with an interface which does not understand "Yamaha - ese" it is highly likely to result in double notations or more.

Sorry if this is long but, being a Brit' (over here) please understand that we will use 10 words where 1 would suffice!

Everything is pointing to the interface, which is what Beagle and a couple of others have suggested almost from the outset of my problems. The confusing thing has been just how highly all the guys who use it talk about MC and I could not understand why my version was not complying with my desires of it. Now, it seems that the software is not the problem. Getting the Yamaha interface will (God willing) overcome this.

Thanks, everyone, for the guidance to date. As things progress, I will update you all.

57Gregy
    RE: Recording Problems.... 2007/02/17 22:41:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for filling us in. Often, someone will post a problem, and never check in to see what solutions are offered, or whether any offered solutions worked. Perhaps someone in the future, with a similar set up, will read this and know what to do.
    Good luck.
    Greg

Greg 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1