Replacing my Audiophile 2496

Author
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
2011/02/03 00:09:42 (permalink)

Replacing my Audiophile 2496

I have a M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496.  When I was using XP, it was great.  When I went to Windows 7/64 bit I began having lots of problems with it.  A brief look on the M-Audio forums shows that there are problems with the drivers, which haven't been updated since 2009, and are not likely to be updated any time soon.

I haven't decided whether to go with PCI or USB intefaces.

Being able to run solidly in Win7x64 is a top priority, as is having a SPDIF input.

5 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Replacing my Audiophile 2496 2011/02/05 10:35:54 (permalink)
    I'd recheck the drivers, give them a bit longer.. ask them to confirm they are doing an update.. IF they can be bothered to reply..

they seem to be updating a lot of drivers at the moment.

my experience.. I've dumped m-audio because of their slowness in updating drivers.. and their support or lack of has REALLY put me off them as a company.. they have had 3 strikes regarding my business.

I bet they knew full well there was issues with the ozone (and other) drivers.. but left folk without drivers for 3 months.. I noticed I had issues with it after a win7 updates.. they updated the drivers 2 weeks AFTER I bought new replacements.. so that made matters even worse.

I can tell you to discount the saffire 6 as that doesn't have spdif. (I have one, so I don't mean that in a negative light)

the cakewalk unit does have spdif..  what else do you want, many outputs ? inputs?
    and budget

if you wanna switch it between pc's then USB is well handy.. also new interface pci-e is the new flex. but you can still get pci things also.

post edited by Fog - 2011/02/05 10:37:54
    mumpcake
    Re:Replacing my Audiophile 2496 2011/02/07 00:48:24 (permalink)
    One of their managers posted on the forums something like
    "We'd like to do the 64 bit drivers, but it's a monumental task".

There was a time I couldn't keep up with their driver updates (not that I ever seemed to need to).  They completely missed releasing drivers for Vista while it was available.  They did release a Win7/64 driver in  11/2009.

In addition to SPDIF, I only need 2 analog inputs and outputs and I don't want to spend more than $200.
    post edited by mumpcake - 2011/02/07 00:51:21
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Replacing my Audiophile 2496 2011/02/07 02:39:31 (permalink)
    One of their managers posted on the forums something like "We'd like to do the 64 bit drivers, but it's a monumental task".

He should have added, "and we will make more money selling the latest interface than by supporting the obsolete one. Oh and you can be sure the old one will be obsolete without new drivers. And we fully expect old customers to forget about the fact that we only support our cheap hardware for a couple of years and new customers not to find out until their new hardware gets old too."

If you are lucky you spent less than $200.00 on your audiophile. In the fast-moving world of obsolescence-by-design, a lot of people have been burned for a lot more when the hardware manufacturer decided they had spent enough on keeping their old stuff working in today's modern world of the future.

I remember early MS DOS when there were no general driver models, and each application developer had to write the drivers for each peripheral that it would interface with. If you wanted to use a certain printer with a word processor, the word processor had to be written with that printer driver. We really need a new level of abstraction in driver models so that peripherals are no longer so tightly bound to the OS.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Replacing my Audiophile 2496 2011/02/07 07:01:31 (permalink)
    hehe, yep they do make new money.. BUT if their support has been cruddy customers go elsewhere .. 3 times avid / m-audio let me down.. they should be renamed w-audio as in WAIT .. 1 month for reason 4 (as they were the uk distro) ... no reply for izotope ozone rego issue .... no drivers for m-audio ozone , no decent reply via email or their forum and then 2 weeks after buying new equipment , 3 months after it stopped working.. new drivers.

I run a 1010LT but thats not in 64 bit land YET.. but if it's not playing ball it'll get replaced by an RME or something.

yep companies have a "legacy" period to support drivers.. but it's like a fair few of them count down the days.

I just had , well having this stuff that work perfectly fine in a landfill , even though a company does need to sell you new tech.
    mumpcake
    Re:Replacing my Audiophile 2496 2011/02/07 23:54:13 (permalink)
    On one hand I have had mine since 03, so I do feel like I got my money's worth out of it.

If the delta series was actually a legacy product, I could cut them some slack.  But you can't call a product 'legacy' if you are still selling them.  There is simply no excuse to be selling a product that does not work with the latest operating system after it has been out for more than a year and a half.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1