2005/02/14 00:01:11 (permalink)

Repost - Head First / mix help PLZ !!!

Reposted / Remixed below.

post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/17 07:52:15

12 Replies Related Threads

stuartsmithmusic
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 970
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 00:24:12 (permalink)
    ahh new underhills rock on!

i found the mix a little to phat.

the bass and kick were mushed togther. and it was really hard to hear the defination between the bass notes.

its sounds like the bass is louder than the vocals in sections too.

the acoustic guitars need to be louder. to IHMO

hope this helps dude.
    lockwiz
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 00:26:42 (permalink)
    I already emailed you, but wanted to post it here also, great job, love the lead guitar part!
    Excellent song Dave, catchy and memorable melody, bet I have listened to this song more than anyone so far.

Jeff (J C McDonald)

Hmmm, signature goes here...Doh!!!
    Paul Russell
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3892
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 06:35:25 (permalink)
    Hi Dave

it's not very often that we get to comment on an Underhills number, so I'll treasure this moment.
    Song: well written, with some great hooks and guitar lines, especially towards the end.
    Mix: just a tad too much 80Hz where the bass and kick are meeting. The bass is muddy and needs clearing up a bit. That's the tough part. (I use three compressors and a gate on my bass parts to knock them into shape). It also helps to convert the phrases into groove clips so that you can tighten up the timing easily (oh such simple cheats).

Very much looking forward to hearing the next mix.

Paul Russell 
    Calamity Studio and on Facebook

rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 08:37:43 (permalink)
    i found the mix a little to phat.

Stu...
    Yeah...didn't hear it last night, but definitely do now. I was doing the headphone thing late last night...
    Kick needs to be tamed a little and the bass definitely needs more work. I'm not digging the DI sound from my bass players rig...may have

bet I have listened to this song more than anyone so far.

Jeff...
    I bet you haven't. My 4 year old knows every word to this song since it's been playing throughout the house for the past 2 months. Thanks for the nice words...

it's not very often that we get to comment on an Underhills number, so I'll treasure this moment.

Paul...
    Yeah, I know. The help for my OCD re: my music is on it's way. We've got about 6 that are almost to the point this one is at, so they will start filtering in around here soon. You use a gate on your bass guitar ??? I've never tried that...

Thanks all

DarrylCoy
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 09:07:18 (permalink)
    David,

This mix is much better. The guitar riff before the verse sits good now.

The bass guitar seems a tad hot in the verse and the acoustic guitar seems distant. Everything sits prettly nicely in the chorus sections.

The song structure is good for a live version, but it might be too long for radio play.

Cool ending. Good song writing skills. Darryl
    rossipsu1
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 10:26:02 (permalink)
    The bass guitar seems a tad hot in the verse and the acoustic guitar seems distant.

Yeah, I was carving out some midrange in soundforge last night and it seems to have thrown off the instrument balance a little. I'm noticing the same thing here. I'm probably gonna have to submix bus the main EQ settings within Sonar and then tweak from there. Was hoping to accomplish something post mix...

Thanks...
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 11:09:14 (permalink)
    David,
    As noted, too much junk in basement. I remember really liking the bass tone on the first version posted, it had a little less woof and more mid-range grind. Another mix issue is the ride cymbol on the openning and chorus, I'm hearing a pronounced tap and less sizzle, might want to notch out that tap.

This is a really snappy song, it has quality and I think it sounds radio friend. But that means reviewing the arrangement.

Please read the following as imho, and with a sense of humor. From a radio play perspective there are some dead spots:
    - The git riff at 0:20 is cool and is definitely the hook, however when it comes back between verses you could reduce it to two passes and thus save 10 secs per.
    - Another spot is 2:45 - 3:12, the low key solo should either have more expression or be reduced, the solo that follows cooks nicely.
    - At 4:08, another solo? Are you guys a jam band? <g> This part could be truncated, since there's another rip-roaring one at 4:40
    - At 5:15 the last note sounds, it then fades for 15 sec. wow.

I realize it's pretty late in the day to work the arrangement, but sometimes you need to hear all of the components to get the perspective. Did I mention that it's a catchy tune?
    rossipsu1
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 11:43:42 (permalink)
    Ed...

thanks for the indepth comments...good stuff here. I love this stuff...

Arrangement: This arrangement actually stems from the arrangement of the song from our live set. This is how I looked at it...put it down the way it was written, and then if it sounds good and is filled sonically, there shouldn't be any issues to remove sections at a later date. If anyone wanted to put this on the radio, I'd assume they'd have to whack this down by 2:00 and would probably need Milli Vanilli to do voice overs.

- The git riff at 0:20 is cool and is definitely the hook, however when it comes back between verses you could reduce it to two passes and thus save 10 secs per.

That's actually a very good idea. It would have to be digitally whacked and put back to together, but it may be worth trying out.

- At 5:15 the last note sounds, it then fades for 15 sec. wow.

I usually let my mastering guy handle all my fade ins and outs...he **** slaps me if I try to do it myself.

At 4:08, another solo? Are you guys a jam band? <g> This part could be truncated, since there's another rip-roaring one at 4:40
    This is one of our jam songs...guess it's showing

As noted, too much junk in basement. I remember really liking the bass tone on the first version posted, it had a little less woof and more mid-range grind. Another mix issue is the ride cymbol on the openning and chorus, I'm hearing a pronounced tap and less sizzle, might want to notch out that tap.

Definitely looks like I have some work to do tonight. Sorry honey, Valentines day is cancelled...you can thank Ed.

Thanks...

post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/14 11:52:16
    sfripp
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: New Underhills - Head First / mix help !!! 2005/02/14 12:00:14 (permalink)
    I like it! The lady does have a fat rump on her! but that's already been mentioned. I'll be queing for the update!

E6600 Core2Duo, 2gigC4 corsair,
    Asus P5B, LynxII, 3xWD250Gig SATAII
    BFD, Dimension Pro, Z3Ta
    rossipsu1
    REPOST- Head First / mix help PLZ !!! 2005/02/17 07:39:24 (permalink)
    I like it!

Tx Shaun...

OK...Remixed.

This is #6.

I resampled the kick and reamped the bass (actually, Jim did...I am forever in his debt). Seems to have cleaned up the bottom end, although the kick may be a little too prominent.

Also removed the keyboards this time through...wasn't quite working for us. Brought up the harmonies and lead vocals a tad and scooped the harsh midrange out a bit.

Head First

Let me know what you guys think...I think I'm almost there.
    post edited by rossipsu1 - 2005/02/17 12:54:27
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: REPOST- Head First / mix help PLZ !!! 2005/02/18 13:43:08 (permalink)
    Ok, so the mix is nicely balanced and eq'ed, this is good. You said it is still to be mastered, right?
    This is good because it's missing a certain je ne sais quoi: punch, sheen, air ...
    Not sure what; just that little something extra to make shine. I wish I knew how to do it myself.
    rossipsu1
    RE: REPOST- Head First / mix help PLZ !!! 2005/02/18 16:23:14 (permalink)
    Yeah Ed, I hear ya...I'm not even happy with this mix anymore.

I'm like 3 mixes past it and have decided to wait to post again until I get what I'm happy with. I'm having issues with bass guitar...the DI'd tracks I am working with are creating a very tough challenge. Thinking about getting them retracked...

I'll repost this thing when it's done and I'm happy with it, but no more of this in between stuff.

Thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1