Requesting feedback on "Because"

Author
NC2
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 61
2005/02/28 16:12:11 (permalink)

Requesting feedback on "Because"

I'd love to get some feedback regarding the mix and EQ'g on this song. My brother is playing guitar, and we programmed in a sitar as well. The song orignally was a coda to a another song that has yet to be finished. Thought that this song has enough merit as a compositon on its own to be worthy of a post. Tell me what you think.

Because (It's way down at the bottom of the page)

I record & compose with my brothers. Give a LISTEN here. Studio set-up in my profile. Visit My BLOG.

6 Replies Related Threads

My Cats Pet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/02/28 18:18:25 (permalink)
    Nice stuff!

Good points worth special mention:

- playing is top notch, real nice.

- great vibe.

- sound quality is crystal clear, wish I could get mine that good.

My only (not negative, lets say "critical") comments are that the panning separation of the instruments is jarring at times (although sometimes it works). You may want to either pan them a bit more to the center (while keeping the essential left/right separation of the instruments). One other way to solve this, and something I think would add to the sound, would be to leave the current panning and add something with a deeper end sound droning throughout the song (like the sitar but deeper and without stop) that is placed center in the mix.

Overall not really much negative to say. This is a great little piece in the genere that is in. Good work.
    NC2
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/02/28 19:16:41 (permalink)
    Thanks my cat's pet. Your feedback is much appreciated and noted. I will be taking another look at it soon. Your point about another more constant drone (or pad I guess?) is interesting. I hadn't though of that. Panning could use a little more nuance as you say. Thanks again.

I record & compose with my brothers. Give a LISTEN here. Studio set-up in my profile. Visit My BLOG.
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/02/28 19:25:29 (permalink)
    May the Lord forgive me for saying it, but a digiridoo would be a great foundation for most of this song and might tie the wide panning back a little bit to the center. Actually, left is fine, right is a little out of bounds.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    NC2
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/02/28 23:29:27 (permalink)
    ... a digiridoo would be a great foundation for most of this song and might tie the wide panning back a little bit to the center.
    Now blindog this is very interesting! Please tell me more. I am fascinated by this suggestion, but don't really know what you are getting at. Please describe more of what you are thinking.
    post edited by NC2 - 2005/02/28 23:37:43

BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/03/01 00:08:03 (permalink)
    First, it should be noted that a digiridoo played properly, and with the right song and instrumentation, can provide an awesome foundation. In every other situation, it drives me absolutely bonkers. (My apologies to the digiridoo players.)

The issue with the song in my opinion is not too much space, it's too much empty space. The digi "drone" would fill a low-to-low-mid space that would tie the wide panned sitar and guitar (both mid-to-high spectrum) together. The drone would accentuate the twang of the sitar, and yet provide a foundation that everything could sit on. Now, a really good digiridoo player is best, but with a random flanger, the right pad, and a spash of reverb you can emulate the digi sound pretty convincingly (except to a digi player). The point is that it doesn't have to be loud, it just has to be the jello in the sonic spectrum in the mid-to-low range, panned center - like a bass - and back just far enough to make people think "what exactly was that?".

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    Fat Dog Studio
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Requesting feedback on "Because" 2005/03/01 00:22:24 (permalink)
    Okay........ I think I will go flush my mixes down the toilet. Your mix sounds incredible.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1