[Resolved] Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised?

Author
brzilian
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 788
2008/02/29 21:17:55 (permalink)

[Resolved] Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised?

It gets to the point where it asks for the DVD, I insert Disc 1 and it won't recognize it and spits the DVD right back out...

I give up - time to move on to another ROMpler softsynth...

Cakewalk, I'm done with you. This is ridiculous that it took you this long to update this software and it STILL doesn't work!
post edited by Chad Beckwith [Cakewalk] - 2009/12/07 10:08:49

29 Replies Related Threads

fishtuner
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/02/29 23:11:44 (permalink)
    I'm having exactly the same problem.

I tried inserting disk 2 after it spit out disk 1 multiple times. That didn't help either.

Please, someone from Cakewalk, help.

This is very disappointing. I thought I was finally going to have Dimension back and it turns out the installer is still broken.
    fishtuner
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/01 01:39:33 (permalink)
    If you have a Bootcamp partition setup on OSX then here's a work around to the inability of the new installer to read the DVDs:

Run the 1.3 Installer but uncheck the install Multisamples checkbox so that it only installs the plugins. The install will complete successfully without requesting the DVDs. I gave my user account admin privileges to do this since in the past I've had problems with Dimension being unavailable if installed from an account other than the one I use my DAW from.

Now reboot to the Windows partition.

Install from the DVDs onto the Windows partition. The install will ask where you want to put the multisamples. The installer will put a directory called multisamples in the directory you choose.

Let the install finish and reboot back into OSX. Now copy the subdirectories from the Windows multisamples directory into the OSX directory \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\Dimension Pro Content\Multisamples which should have been created by the OSX installation. Note this is the root level Library directory not the Library directory in your user account so once again you'll need admin level access to do this.

Load Dimension into your DAW and everything should work. I've tried this using Logic Studio. All the Dimension programs I've loaded have worked correctly.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/02 00:09:55 (permalink)
    Thanks, fishtuner.
    That one, I'll try.

- zevo

UPDATED: I didn't know the installer update was released, so I'll try this if it fails... was there an email or something? How were we to know it was released (I figured it out now, but...)
    - z
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/03/03 20:46:10
    brzilian
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/03 19:18:17 (permalink)
    Did you wait for the Dimension Pro DVD volume to show up on your desktop before clicking continue?

Yes. The DVD was inserted way before the installer was run. Did a second time and only inserted the DVD when it asked for it...

Can you please provide some of the specifications on your system

Ok, just by the fact that you're asking that question shows me you guys don't have a clue about Mac/OS X software development. The whole reason for selecting a Mac over a PC is reduction in the number of variables when it comes to hardware configs since it is a closed system. Do you guys not simply have every current Mac in your testing labs?????

Its a stock 2.2Ghz Core2Duo Black MacBook (late 2007 w/ Santa Rosa chipset) with the stock 1Gb of RAM running 10.5.2...
    post edited by brzilian - 2008/03/03 19:19:21
    fishtuner
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/03 20:28:09 (permalink)
    Chad,

Thanks for responding.

I tried multiple different scenarios. Initially I waited for the DVD to show up as a drive on the desktop and then clicked to continue. When that failed I re-inserted the disk and hit continue immediately. Neither worked. In my case it took somewhere in the area of 5-10 seconds before ejecting the disk the first time. If I hit the button to close the disk drawer after the first time it would eject immediately. Exiting the installer and retrying resulted in the 5-10 second delay again and then on subsequent tries an immediate eject.

My system is a Mac Pro with 2 2.66 Dual Core Xeon Processors, 3 GB RAM running OSX Leopard 10.5.2. As I reported above the install runs without error on the Windows Bootcamp partition of the same machine so I know my DVD drive is working correctly.

Just in case it has something to do with the problem, when I first installed Leopard I installed Dimension using the original DVDs and the install failed. After reading of other people having the same problem on this forum, I ran the uninstaller which reported that it had completed successfully.

inmazevo
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/03 20:44:41 (permalink)
    I'll walk through this step-by-step in about an hour and report back.

It will be on a 2.16GHz Macbook, running 10.5.2.

Later,
    - zevo
    inmazevo
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/04 13:16:20 (permalink)
    I ran this last night and it worked perfectly.

- Mount the .dmg and run the installer... don't put the DVD in the drive yet
    - Click through and select options (vst, au, etc... and select to install the sound library)... don't put the DVD in the drive yet
    - When prompted for a multisamples directory, pick one (I chose my external drive)... don't put the DVD in the drive yet
    - Submit and install... don't put the DVD in the drive yet
    - The installer will load the instrument and settings first... don't put the DVD in yet
    - Once the installer is finished loading the instrument and settings, it will prompt for the first Dim Pro DVD... insert it and wait for it to mount, and then click ok
    - Wait for it to complete (I got the spinning ball the whole time, and didn't do anything else on the machine while it was loading from DVD)... it should spit out the first DVD and prompt you for the next one... insert it and wait for it to mount, and then click ok
    - It will tell you when it's done... accept the dialog and wait for the installer to finish

FWIW: I walked through every directory and subdirectory from the patch browser and selected at least one item to load, and all loaded fine (no missing samples).

Following that, you should be able to install both Expansion Packs... at least, they worked fine for me (Exp 1, followed by Exp 2).
    I haven't walked through the Expansion Packs via the patch browser to check for missing samples. I'll do that tonight.

Take care,
    - zevo
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/04 14:51:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: brzilian

Did you wait for the Dimension Pro DVD volume to show up on your desktop before clicking continue?

Yes. The DVD was inserted way before the installer was run. Did a second time and only inserted the DVD when it asked for it...

Can you please provide some of the specifications on your system

Ok, just by the fact that you're asking that question shows me you guys don't have a clue about Mac/OS X software development. The whole reason for selecting a Mac over a PC is reduction in the number of variables when it comes to hardware configs since it is a closed system. Do you guys not simply have every current Mac in your testing labs?????

Its a stock 2.2Ghz Core2Duo Black MacBook (late 2007 w/ Santa Rosa chipset) with the stock 1Gb of RAM running 10.5.2...

I realize you're frustrated, but a bad attitude toward the guy who's trying to help you is self-defeating. It also makes you sound like a boorish jerk who thinks he's somehow better than those around him.

A little kindness and respect goes a long way around here, and presents you in a much better light.

--kwgm
    inmazevo
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/03/04 16:25:38 (permalink)
    +1 kwgm...

Not to mention that reality disagrees with the advertisements and assumptions that Apple and Macs equate trouble-free computing because of the closed-ness of the system.
    Requesting system specs is still valid, Mac or not.

"It just works" is an add campaign designed to hit home users... While it is relatively true in that case, it doesn't translate to power users like DAW and video folks (ie - US). Apple frequently breaks things (including themselves) with application interaction with new operating systems and OS patches, and their continous hardware upgrade path.

I, too, understand the frustration, but Chad's a good guy and asked a valid question. Take a breather: it will work out.

- zevo
    mcl
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/04/05 07:28:18 (permalink)
    I have raised a ticket with support but I have the same issue.

Not loading the DVD until the 1.3 installer asks for it, I get the same result as the first poster - the DVD is immediately ejected.

Yes I waited until the DVD was fully mounted. I have two superdrives, both are opened when the DVD is ejected.

If I dont get a quick response from support I think I will try the windows install workaround. I have Vista on bootcamp.

Just made the switch to the Mac. Busy re-installing all my music software at the moment. So far, only DimPro has presented any problems.

System Profiler:
    Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
    Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 2
    Total Number Of Cores: 8
    L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
    SMC Version: 1.25f4
    Serial Number: CK81013PXYL

Mike CL
    mcl
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/04/06 16:14:16 (permalink)
    Being somewhat impatient to get DimPro working, I went for the workaround.

Installed from the 1.3 installer without the sound library. Then installed the instrument on an XP Pro VM (Fusion). Copied the files over. Job done.

Mike CL
    Cary
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/04/20 12:04:16 (permalink)

I tried it step by step and it didn't work for me. Cakewalk, please correct this problem. In addition I installed Rapture in Leopard, and it never asked for my authorization code. I haven't got my whole studio up and running yet, so I haven't been able to check to see whether or not Rapture is functioning. I have a PC right next to my Mac, so as far as installing Boot camp and XP, that's out of the question. I bought a Mac to run mac programs not Windows. I want to be able to load Dimension Pro directly into Leopard.

My system:
    Mac Pro 2.8Ghz x 8
    OSX 10.5.1
    4GB RAM

Cary

post edited by Cary - 2008/04/20 12:26:44
    replica88
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/15 19:00:23 (permalink)
    man this really sucks. i just shelled out $250 for this program today and find it won't install!?!? WTF? What are the benefits of PAYING for legal software again, remind me? I see there's still no real fix posted after a month of people complaining. Great. I guess I should just go return the software... obviously Roland doesn't care about making it work.
    Cary
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/18 13:37:20 (permalink)
    I emailed tech support and within a week I was given a link to a working installer for Leopard. Its probably been updated on the site now. (at least I hope so). Last night I got Dimension Pro and Rapture installed and all is working perfectly.

Thanks to Chad for helping me out.

CA
    post edited by Cary - 2008/05/18 13:57:54
    replica88
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/18 21:23:18 (permalink)
    IT WORKS!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/19 16:11:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cary
    I emailed tech support and within a week I was given a link to a working installer for Leopard. Its probably been updated on the site now. (at least I hope so). Last night I got Dimension Pro and Rapture installed and all is working perfectly.

Nope. I just tried installing DimPro on OSX 10.5.2 and it failed. So I tried re-downloading the Leopard installer from the support page and it seems to be the same one. I ran it anyway and got into the endless "Please insert Dimension Pro Disc 1 to continue" loop.

I tried following inmazevo's instructions and no-go.

So now I'm on hold waiting for tech support to pick up. 8 minutes and counting.

System Specs:
    MacPro3,1
    Dual Quad Core Intel Xeon
    2.8 GHz
    2 GB Ram
    320 Gig HD for OSX 10.5.2
    250 Gig HD for XP SP2 formatted NTFS which I boot through bootcamp (hmmm. Might this be a clue...?)
    500 Gig HD for other stuff, formatted NTFS
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB
    23" Cinema HD Display
    19" AG Neovo F-419 Display
    MOTU PCIe 424/2408 mkII audio interface
    MOTU midi express 128

On hold for 15 min and counting...

Edit: I tried un-mounting the NTFS disks before installing, didn't work.

26 min.
    post edited by tarsier - 2008/05/19 16:43:12
    replica88
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/19 16:43:13 (permalink)
    Hi tarsier,

I'm not convinced that what's on the site is the same as what Cary got, and what I subsequently got to work. The link I got took me to some newsgroup or something, not the support site, and the file was named precisely "Dimension Pro 1.3 FULL.zip", unlike the file names i see on the support site. I have a feeling there is some confusion about which file is the right one. Unfortunately I can't find the email from which I found my link... maybe Cary can help? I'd just post the damn zip file for you, but they'd probably sue me.
    tarsier
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/19 18:00:28 (permalink)
    Well, after 54 minutes on hold, they finally answered the phone. The support guy was friendly and outlined the problem: Some DimPro disc 1s have a different label. His solution was to burn a new disc 1 with just the "Install Data" folder from my original disc 1 and the proper disc label which he emailed (Dimension Pro 1). I tried that, and it didn't work either. I even tried it again, just in case I didn't get it right.

So, 54 minutes on hold, 2 minutes talking to support (pretty bad ratio, there) about 45 minutes of DVD burning to make 2 coasters and DimPro still isn't installed under Leopard on my machine.

Guess I'll try the install-under-windows and copy the sample data method.

Grumble, grumble, grumble.
    brzilian
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/19 20:19:35 (permalink)
    Freakin' PATHETIC!

I recently wiped my MacBook HD and reinstalled Leopard (wanted to get rid of the preinstalled stuff I never use). All my softsynths have been reinstalled (KLC-DE, KLC-AE2007, FM8, Kore Player), but DimPro will not be reinstalled. Instead I plan on investing in some new stuff (Logic Pro 8, some Kore Soundpacks and Pianoteq).

Not wasting anymore time or money on Cakewalk product.
    Cary
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/20 00:15:48 (permalink)
    The link that was sent to me directly downloaded the file, so I don't know where it came from. Replica88 got the same file name as I did. Sorry I can't be of more help. They really ought to update the site, but maybe there's more testing to be done??? Email tech support and maybe you'll get the same response I did. It would be irresponsible of me to post any links here.

CA
    post edited by Cary - 2008/05/20 00:36:13
    tarsier
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2008/05/20 11:13:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cary
    Email tech support and maybe you'll get the same response I did. It would be irresponsible of me to post any links here.

Yeah, I didn't want anyone to post any unofficial links.

My situation is now resolved. Once I got a hold of Willy at tech support he was in prompt email communication and sent me the updated file. It is still being developed which is why it hasn't been publicly posted, but it fixed my problem.

So from my point of view: Almost an hour on hold on a long distance call: Bad. Once they picked up the phone: Good service, prompt turnaround on email followups and an ultimately solved problem: Good.
    BB King
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/08 11:31:04 (permalink)
    Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I am having this exact same problem.

I am using the 1.3 DimPro installer, but still, everytime it is time to install the samples, I am asked over and over again to "Please insert Dimension Pro Disc 1 to continue". I am using MacOS/X 10.6.1 and I do NOT have Windows installed (so the bootcamp workaround is NOT an option for me).

Is there a way to fix that?

Thanks.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, Mac OS X 10.6.1, 12 GB RAM
    Logic Studio 9.0.2, Ableton Live Suite 8.0.9
    NI Kore 2 + Komplete 6 + Maschine, Rapture, Dimension Pro
    Ecler EVO5, M-Audio Profire 610, Novation Remote SL61
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/08 20:05:47 (permalink)
    BB King

I am using the 1.3 DimPro installer, but still, everytime it is time to install the samples, I am asked over and over again to "Please insert Dimension Pro Disc 1 to continue". I am using MacOS/X 10.6.1 and I do NOT have Windows installed (so the bootcamp workaround is NOT an option for me).

Thanks.

Hey BB King,

Check your PMs.

- Chad
    BB King
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/09 22:47:48 (permalink)
    chad

BB King

Thanks.

Hey BB King,

Check your PMs.

- Chad

Hi Chad,

thanks for that file, it did the trick! But, if I may inquire, why is this file not available on Cakewalk's web site ?

Thanks!

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core, Mac OS X 10.6.1, 12 GB RAM
    Logic Studio 9.0.2, Ableton Live Suite 8.0.9
    NI Kore 2 + Komplete 6 + Maschine, Rapture, Dimension Pro
    Ecler EVO5, M-Audio Profire 610, Novation Remote SL61
    claesbrandt
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/21 01:45:44 (permalink)
    Could either chad or BB King post that file here or somewhere on the net, so we can get this to work, please :) ? Or can I get it via PM?
    claesbrandt
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/21 05:25:06 (permalink)
    fishtuner

If you have a Bootcamp partition setup on OSX then here's a work around to the inability of the new installer to read the DVDs:

Run the 1.3 Installer but uncheck the install Multisamples checkbox so that it only installs the plugins. The install will complete successfully without requesting the DVDs. I gave my user account admin privileges to do this since in the past I've had problems with Dimension being unavailable if installed from an account other than the one I use my DAW from.

Now reboot to the Windows partition.

Install from the DVDs onto the Windows partition. The install will ask where you want to put the multisamples. The installer will put a directory called multisamples in the directory you choose.

Let the install finish and reboot back into OSX. Now copy the subdirectories from the Windows multisamples directory into the OSX directory \Library\Audio\Plug-Ins\Dimension Pro Content\Multisamples which should have been created by the OSX installation. Note this is the root level Library directory not the Library directory in your user account so once again you'll need admin level access to do this.

Load Dimension into your DAW and everything should work. I've tried this using Logic Studio. All the Dimension programs I've loaded have worked correctly.

You can also install dimension pro into a virtual machine with windows, where you have shared the folder .../Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Dimension Pro Content/Multisamples. This way the windows installer can put the multisamples directly into the folder on the mac and saves you a lot of time instead of having to copy the data from one partition to another after installation. And you don't have to leave your mac :) When done, remove the folder share, so windows cannot access the multisamples and uninstall dimension pro from windows. It is important to remove the share first, as the uninstaller otherwise will remove the multisamples from mac. I tested this and it works perfectly.

Just to make it easier for yourself later, put the installed multisamples in a package and keep it for next time you need to install dimension pro on mac.

Thanks for the excellent workaround fishtuner. And Cakewalk needs to fix this properly.
    samleemd
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/11/30 00:00:27 (permalink)
    Chad,
    I'm having the exact same problems trying to load DimPro into my MBP.  Can you PM me or post whatever file you sent to BBKing?
    bennie524
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/12/04 23:32:42 (permalink)
    samleemd

Chad,
    I'm having the exact same problems trying to load DimPro into my MBP.  Can you PM me or post whatever file you sent to BBKing?

Same here.  I'd love a copy of that file, if you still have it handy.  I'm really surprised they don't have it up in the download area.
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Dimension Pro Leopard Installer Update Doesn't Work - Why am I not surprised? 2009/12/07 10:06:30 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

That updated download is now featured on the 1.3 update support page here:

http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=20080131

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1