Results of Online Project

Author
studio1000b
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 40
2007/02/14 10:26:59 (permalink)

Results of Online Project

Hi Everyone,

4 members of this forum including myself, worked on this song. The title is "Home to You"
The song is dedicated to everyone who has ever served our country in the military, and made it out alive. The song is reflecting a soldier's incredible feeling of knowing he is alive and going home. The members who worked on this song are:

jamesg1213 - James (Lead Guitar)
rbowser - Randy (Strings and Piano, and BGV's)
fep - Frank (Lead Guitar)
studio1000b - Jeff (Acoustic, Bass, Vocals, Drum Programming)

Hope you enjoy our work.

Here is the link:

Home to You

15 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 10:43:18 (permalink)
    Glad to hear this finished project, I was wondering how it was progressing. I listened to it several times. Solid song, but on my cheap speakers at work, this is my impression: Jeff's vocals could come up front some, and the bass and lead guitar parts are low in the mix too. The vocals sound fine, just too low. Backing vox are good, and strings. Drums are real quiet. Some of this can no doubt be attributed to the speakers. The piano stands out the most. The playing throughout is flawless.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 12:02:38 (permalink)
    Hey Jeff,
    excellent tune and a huge, full sound which you got to sit very well without any feeling of cluttering.
    The performances, all around were fantastic and the backing vox sound amazing.
    Cool stuff.

Mark. Do not trust those speakers for they lie.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 12:21:40 (permalink)
    Nice job guys...
    Kind of a Glen Cambell/Jimmy Webb vibe to me
    Minor nits...Piano seems a little loud in parts at the beginning...
    Background vocals seem a tad late the 1:03 section
    at the climatic 3:08 section drums get sort of buried.

RLD
    airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 12:46:47 (permalink)
    Hey Guys - congratulations on this collab effort! I really enjoyed listening to this very nice tune. It sort of reminds me to an 'Eagles' classic ... with a touch of 'America' in it. Super.
    I agree - the drums are too distant in the mix. The leads may come forward too. Bass is barely noticeable. The piano (though well performed) is too dominant. Vocals are superb. The arrangement between the different tracks of BGVs and the BGVs and Lead Vox, are outstanding. Very well done.
    The song's structure is beautiful. Well done on the fade out. Who actually wrote the song? You Jeff?
    Thanks for sharing this great song; it sounds like it was worth all the effort and that you guys had fun.
    Heinz.
    post edited by airmeki - 2007/02/14 13:09:38

msharps
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 13:19:29 (permalink)
    Congratulations you guys, this is fantastic! I love the lyrics and arrangement of this song... and the performances were outstanding.
    As I was listening, I was imagining scenes of soliders traveling home with great anticipation of being reunited with their loved ones...
    this would make a great movie soundtrack! I agree with Nick (opaque slogan) that the mix has a nice full sound. It does seem to me that the
    drums could come forward a bit in the mix.

This is so great to see collaborations with others here... so much talent being put to good use!

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
    Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 18:40:47 (permalink)
    Disregard my earlier post. I just listened to this on better speakers at home, and what a difference. Jeff's vocals are immediate, right up front, like he's in my living room. The piano sits very comfortably in the mix. The guitars are clear and vibrant. Strings add a subtle texture and depth. Backing vox are right where they should be. The drums could still use just a little punch, but other than that it's a great mix. Instrumentation is dead on. A smashing success.
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 21:51:26 (permalink)
    Really liked this one guys. Definitely has that Jimmy Webb feel, and that's a good thing.

I would agree with the piano being a little too dominate. It is beautiful playing, but needs to go in the back a little bit. Also, bring up the drums a little bit. There is something at about 7-9 seconds that comes in loud and sounds distorted, but goes away just as quickly (maybe its me).

The words are fantastic, they hit home, and anyone who has ever been in the military or similar experience can identify with it. Wonderful vocals.

One of the best things about being involved in home recording is getting to hear all the great stuff that is created. Those who are stuck listening to 'main stream' radio don't realize what they are missing. Thanks guys!!

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/14 23:02:32 (permalink)
    Well, cheers all around for a truly fantastic collaboration. Great production, playing, and mixing. Beautiful sentiment - everything about this piece just exudes professionalism and heart. So well done, you should all be proud. A wonderful accomplishment and a fine example of how successful a collaboration can be. Listening in headphones the piano does seem to jump up in in volume from time to time ... none the less, the instrumentation and arrangement is just gorgeous and so well done. Congratulations.

Bill
    sojourn
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/15 00:19:18 (permalink)
    Great job everyone involved. The results of your work are amazing. I too feel the drums could come up a bit but, that is probably just the rocker in me. Nice work
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/15 13:28:53 (permalink)
    This was such a fun, successful collaboration. Thank you all for listening and appreciating Jeff Allen's fine song.

These guys were just great to work with--Jeff, James and Frank. When the dust cleared after Jeff's original post suggesting an online collaboration, we were the guys still left standing, and we dug right into the work.

Keeping those emails flying, and using "Box" for putting up our works-in-progress made for really smooth team work.

We decided Jeff should do the mix since he wrote the song, and there were many versions of the mix before we all thought it was time to play it for an audience. It was the most complicated mix Jeff has worked on and I know it was tough making some decisions. A big decision was how loud the strings should be. It's a very full arrangement which could have dominated and thrown the mix off, so they were moved way back for the warm background wash as they were intended.

I think we all agree that, like with all mixes, other choices could be made, but that what stands now is working pretty good. Maybe the drums could be more present, maybe the bass could be too--there's no definitive answer, I don't think.

I think RLD could be right that somehow one portion of the BG vocals slipped out of synch about a minute in. Not sure if Jeff agrees, but I'd been noticing that too.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the BG vocals! Maybe I've found a better niche for myself as a singer, since I know I'm not lead vocalist material.

I hope this project provides inspiration for other folks here who haven't tried the online collab thing before. Even with a minimum of technical know-how, it is So do-able, and so rewarding.

Publicly thanking "The Band"--we're awesome, dudes!

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/15 14:25:10 (permalink)
    I'll join in thanking all you guys for the very nice comments. It's a great song, and was a pleasure to work on. The guys were a breeze to work with too, I hope we can do it again sometime.

Like Randy says, online collabs are to be recommended, you can't fail to learn from them, and they are surprisingly easy to do.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/15 15:53:00 (permalink)
    Really nice track, well done by all.

I noticed most things are mixed wide-stereo which gives it a big wall of sound; alternatively, some of the instruments, particularly the piano and the acoustic could be narrowed up a bit and placed on either side of center. This may give a more open and intimate sound, if that is of interest.
    Drumz
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Results of Online Project 2007/02/15 18:41:20 (permalink)
    Wow, you guy's really got me on this song. Listening to it choked me up big time. It is a song that I wish I had written.
    I agree with others that the drums could come up a bit.

You should put this song on Neil Young's site. I think it would do well there...http://www.neilyoung.com/lwwtoday/index.html

Sonar 8 PE, Windows 7 32 bit, Intel w/H55 chipset, Intel Core i5 3.2GHz,2x Seagate 500GB SATA,4GB DDR3/1333, Presonus FP10, Roland TD 20, Mapex Maple, Paistie, and a bunch of other noise making stuff.
    studio1000b
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Results of Online Project (Remix) 2007/02/20 08:32:41 (permalink)
    This is a remix of the previously posted song. The Drums and Bass have been brought forward a bit.

Home to You
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Results of Online Project (Remix) 2007/02/20 11:09:58 (permalink)
    Well done guys, Very nice and smooth. Really like this one

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1