Retail version not picking up sound output

Author
mattyduk
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/05/20 15:12:24 (permalink)

Retail version not picking up sound output

Hi, tried the trial version last night.

My sound card has a standard 3.5 sound output and also a spdif optical. On trying the trial version there was a drop down of two entries for option/audio settings and I was able to pick the spdif one fine (which is connected to my avamp). Everything worked fine, so I decided to spend out on the full version which I installed tonight, along with the 2.5.1 update.

However, now when I go into audio to try and select which output of the soundcard it should use, they both read the same (i.e no spdif) "Audio HD Digital Integrated Soundmax". If I select one then I get sounds through the 3.5 phono jack. If I select the other I don't get anything.

A bit unhappy at the moment as the package appears to be a bit broken :(

10 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 15:55:44 (permalink)
    Maddy,

you need to tell us which soundcard and drivers. Under audio Options there is a device and in/output channels. I'm not at my music computer, but somewheres you pick drivers, too (this one only has a realtek card). Probably under device. Pick device and shut down P5 and see if that opens up more i/o channels.

Also be advised to switch your justify settings if you can't hear anything.

Let us know if that helps, if not, be a little more specific.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    mattyduk
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 17:26:18 (permalink)
    Hi. thanks for the reply. I've been into the Options/Audio section. On the Audio device I/O selection, the drop down has two entries, both the same "Audio HD Digital Integrated Soundmax (1 in 1 out) Directsound". The sound card is an onboard motherboard (ASUS).

Selecting either one, then coming out of P5 and then going back in doesn't make any difference, it always selects the 3.5phono output.

In the trail version, two audio devices were list, each different.

I cannot adjust the justify settings as it is grayed out

For the sake of sanity, I'm going to reinstall the trial version and prove to myself that they are different.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 17:31:20 (permalink)
    I think most who encounter similar issues resolve them by installing ASIO4ALL and then using those drivers that appear in P5 instead...
    post edited by xylyx - 2008/05/20 17:50:54
    mattyduk
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 17:44:23 (permalink)
    ok, an update.

Installed the trial version. On the Options/Audio, again I get the two devices, named the same(I was mistaken originally, as I did see something differnent in the trail version between the two - as follows), BUT, this time I have another two drop down boxes Select Input Channel, and Select Output Channel !!!. In the output channel I can now select my SPDIF and this works fine. In addition the justify option is now enabled.

and just gone back to the retail version and the select input and output channel drop downs are missing and the justify option is disabled.

Therefore I can summise that the retail product is faulty or an earlier version.

Wil ASIO4ALL sort this out ?

If this can't be fixed, then time to get my money back I'm afraid :(
    xylyx
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 18:02:24 (permalink)
    Give it a try, it's free and it seems that others who have had similar issues have managed to get P5 working with their soundcards via this method...
    mattyduk
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 18:05:35 (permalink)
    and another update. I installed ASIO4ALL, and I'm half way there

Basically if I set the audio device to ASIO4ALL I get audio through the speaker (3.5). If I then select the second identical sound card device, then restart Project 5, I can get the sound through spdif.

So thanks for that, but it's very very hacky. I still don't understand why I don't get the input and output channel options at all in this 2.5.1 retail product. I'll give a go for a few more days, but first impressions aren't that good so far.
    post edited by mattyduk - 2008/05/20 18:31:25
    xylyx
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/20 18:13:51 (permalink)
    It's not a hack, asio4all is just acting as an asio driver on behalf of your soundcard...many people use this with numerous different sequencers and there seems to be little negativity surrounding them overall. As to why your proper sound drivers don't show up, I don't know...I guess you could try contacting tech support, but whether it will be worth the time and advance you any in resolving it is a different matter. Probably better to give the asio4all drivers a chance...

It is stuff like this though that shows why Cake should have released a 2.5 demo...it's odd that they never did get round to doing it.
    mattyduk
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/21 03:58:14 (permalink)
    sorry, by "hack" i meant it's just not very obvious to someone who just bought it off the shelf and expected the product to function like the trial. Anyway, thanks for your valued help. Now if only Project 5 came with those nice accoustic guitar sounds that they put on their youtube demo videos :)
    candlesayshi
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 694
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/21 09:11:15 (permalink)
    Sorry to go way off-topic for a sec, but apparently Image-Line now includes ASIO4ALL with the install of FL Studio 8. I just that that was kind of cool of them when I read it.

Anyway....

Carry on.
    xylyx
    RE: Retail version not picking up sound output 2008/05/21 13:39:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mattyduk

sorry, by "hack" i meant it's just not very obvious to someone who just bought it off the shelf and expected the product to function like the trial. Anyway, thanks for your valued help.

No problem. You're right that the drivers should work without needing to install asio4all and it's strange that some people have encountered this problem with 2.5 when it wasn't present in 2.0, this is why it would be better if Cakewalk had released a demo of 2.5 so that potential customers could have been aware of this before buying. Anyway, hopefully the asio4all drivers will see you right and get you working with the music side of things, rather than the tech side...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1