Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
pdarg
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2265
2008/03/26 15:12:22 (permalink)

Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins

This question may have been asked before, but I wanted to start a thread on it again, and investigate this issue a bit more.

What’s the best/highest quality/most professional reverb option out there for DAW-based sound production? Up until recently, most of the buzz has still been that hardware outclasses the plug-ins in this regard. However, now we have new options – not only with software, but with newer hardware units that can be plugged into DAW hosts via USB or FireWire.

I am looking for various educated opinions and recommendations on this, and ways that people are connecting hardware reverb to Sonar. I am currently using Sonar 7 Producer and the PerfectSpace plug-in for reverb.

Thanks in advance!

46 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Mac
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 15:18:33 (permalink)
    Really like the BREVERB by Overloud... expensive, though.
    The Wizooverb W2 is nice for 99 bucks.
    Heard Altiverb is really nice as well.

Sorry, but I do not use any hardware reverbs. The convolution stuff seems to sound the best (to me, anyway).

RME FireFace 800, 3.4GHz quad-core AMD-64, 8 Gigs RAM Sonar X2a Producer, Fav. Plugs: Ozone 5 Advanced, Waves, Sonnox, Melodyne, Voxengo, SSL Native, Drumagog 5 Platinum
    plectrumpusher
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 15:33:50 (permalink)
    Theoretically, there should be no contest when you look at the fact that a rack unit is using all that processing power dedicated to the DSP. I worry about going through the added AD/DA conversions though, and I personally get worried about USB and firewire routing too; Some companies are having a devil of a time with there sound card F/W implementations , and I've even read about certian DAW's having issues with internal PCI cards like proco or duende.

I was reading a rack unit manual , and this reverb processor had a pre-delay and a delay that controlles the onset of the tails . I never thought about the fact that when you apply predelay in most reverbs , your probably also delaying the onset of the early reflrctions also . This unit gives you the ability to still have the early reflections occur immeadiatly and then delay the onset of the tails . For the ultimate tweakability and customizing to find a signature sound , your not going to touch a rack unit like that!!!
    post edited by plectrumpusher - 2008/03/26 15:52:32

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 15:53:15 (permalink)
    The only real difference between "hardware" and "software" reverbs is where the processing happens - in an outboard dedicated DSP or in the box by your CPU. (Unless you have a "real" hardware reverb like an EMT plate.)

Obviously, moving the processing out of the box relieves the load on your computer and allows the designers to use more CPU-intensive algorithms. Theoretically, that could open the door to higher-quality effects. Sometimes, it does. The high-end Lexicons are about as good as it gets.

However, IMO, this advantage is not worth it if it requires an extra conversion. It's really only worthwhile if the outboard hardware accepts a digital inputs and provides digital outputs. Only if you never leave the digital domain will you get the performance benefit without the quality hit. But even in this close-to-ideal scenario, you'll still have to deal with the added latency.

If:
    - you just want high-quality reverb, and
    - you add reverb only after tracking (so that latency is not a problem), and
    - you don't have 2-3 grand burning a hole in your pocket
    then just stick with Perfect Space and start cruising the 'net for impulse files until you find some you like.

But if you have the bread, pick up a Lexicon PCM96. Get me one too, while you're at the store.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    DH123
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:19:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

However, IMO, this advantage is not worth it if it requires an extra conversion. It's really only worthwhile if the outboard hardware accepts a digital inputs and provides digital outputs. Only if you never leave the digital domain will you get the performance benefit without the quality hit. But even in this close-to-ideal scenario, you'll still have to deal with the added latency.

This is simply not true. The added Conversion is negligible an often sounds better adding that tiny bit of distortion. Running SPDIF can be a pain in the neck sometimes getting everything to clock together. True about the latency being a Pain but it's something you only need to figure out once if external inserts work for your soundcard.

Something just isn't "right" with convolution reverbs. They sound great solo'd but they get blurry in a mix (to my ears at least). With the Lexicons you could pile on verb and it never got lost.

I've not heard one Reverb plugin that sounds as good and an el cheepo Lexicon MPX-100. I'm talking about in a mix, not solo'd. Then again, I've not checked out the TC Powercore or UAD plate so maybe I just need to swim in a bigger pond . . .
    rosabelle
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 261
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:21:06 (permalink)
    But if you have the bread, pick up a Lexicon PCM96. Get me one too, while you're at the store.

Too bad they aren't shipping yet.
    aj
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1084
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:27:23 (permalink)
    Maybe I'm missing something but I had always understood that convolution was effectively the ultimate reverb because you were truly emulating the sampled space. Since convolution can also mimic the behaviour of speakers and preamps as well as a reverberant space, it would seem that you need only find the right impulse response. I believe someone has recently posted links to some plate reverb responses, for example, and in theory a convolution reverb can emulate any other kind of reverb. Until CPUs became powerful enough to do convolution in real time, all reverbs were a compromise based on algorithms which were limited by available CPU power.

This would imply that plugins should, these days, always outclass external devices unless CPU power is an issue.

Now, interestingly, you should also be able to create your own impulse responses. For example, put a signal through a hardware reverb and then your convolution reverb should be able to emulate it precisely. So if there's a hardware product you like, rent it, sample it and then use your convolution reverb to emulate it perfectly.
    DH123
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:33:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: aj

Maybe I'm missing something but I had always understood that convolution was effectively the ultimate reverb because you were truly emulating the sampled space. Since convolution can also mimic the behaviour of speakers and preamps as well as a reverberant space, it would seem that you need only find the right impulse response. I believe someone has recently posted links to some plate reverb responses, for example, and in theory a convolution reverb can emulate any other kind of reverb. Until CPUs became powerful enough to do convolution in real time, all reverbs were a compromise based on algorithms which were limited by available CPU power.

This would imply that plugins should, these days, always outclass external devices unless CPU power is an issue.

Now, interestingly, you should also be able to create your own impulse responses. For example, put a signal through a hardware reverb and then your convolution reverb should be able to emulate it precisely. So if there's a hardware product you like, rent it, sample it and then use your convolution reverb to emulate it perfectly.

Concolution reverb is like a sample of a snare drum. You hear the same sound every time you hit it. It's perfect, but it the same every time. The Lexiconish reverb have a randomness to they that make them sound more alive. You don't hear the same hit every time.

Kinda make sense?
    DaneStewart
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 717
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:40:25 (permalink)
    There is another choice...
    Get another CPU used for about $400.
    Use a program called FX TELEPORT to connect your 2 PC's via Ethernet.
    Load the FX onto the 2nd computer, and follow FX TELEPORT's instructions for caclulating and then compensating for any new latency.
    A bit of a set-up, but you should only have to do it once.
    This allows you to use maximum CPU draw reverb plug-ins without killing your main DAW.

BUT, if you have a good multi in/out audio interface, using an external reverb is killer. I use my Lex PCM-70 and Ensoniq DP-4 for this all the time and I have no issue at all with the D/A/D thing...IT SOUNDS GREAT.

To thine own self be true. ~TheDane
    Dr. Mac
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 618
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 16:55:29 (permalink)
    +1 for FXTeleport. It's nice to have an extra LCD to monitor what's happening on the remote machine (although not absolutely necessary).

RME FireFace 800, 3.4GHz quad-core AMD-64, 8 Gigs RAM Sonar X2a Producer, Fav. Plugs: Ozone 5 Advanced, Waves, Sonnox, Melodyne, Voxengo, SSL Native, Drumagog 5 Platinum
    plectrumpusher
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:23:45 (permalink)
    Just to be pedantic (and for the sake of the discussion ) While Intel might include SSE and other multi-media extension , the Processor is designed with a wide range of different programming that might need to be parsed. The chipset in a Lexicon (including the processor) were designed with on thing in mind ; DSP. I also really doubt wheter any plugg designer is going to get quite as ambitious with their algorythums lest the reviewers brand it a CPU pig.
    I don't argue that ITB reverbs have improved allot , or tha convo reverbs are'nt great, but for real serious DESIGN of reverbs , and reverbs that morp and modulate, I'll take a rack.

If you haven't got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart.......Then you are just an old sour fart!!
    pdarg
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:33:47 (permalink)
    I am really wondering if it is worth it to get something like a Lexicon MX300 with USB and use that for DAW reverb instead of the Perfect Space plug-in.

Actually, I have some very good impulses that I use with Perfect Space (Lexicon impulses), but something in my memory makes me think that the ol' hardware reverb I used years ago (MIDIVerb II) sounded a bit more pristine. Perfect Space does some good things, but I am still wondering if I am missing an opportunity with the new hardware.
    plectrumpusher
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:34:06 (permalink)
    A little something to illustrate the point

However, the last forty years have shown that computers are extremely capable in two broad areas, (1) data manipulation, such as word processing and database management, and (2) mathematical calculation, used in science, engineering, and Digital Signal Processing. All microprocessors can perform both tasks; however, it is difficult (expensive) to make a device that is optimized for both. There are technical tradeoffs in the hardware design, such as the size of the instruction set and how interrupts are handled.

DSP GUIDE

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:36:22 (permalink)
    1. Convolution plugin (ie: Perfect Space or Pristine Space) with good IRs
    2. Magix VariVerb Pro

This combination covers all my reverb needs... and sounds great.
    Unless you're talking a $2k+ hardware reverb, the above plugins will likely sound better.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    plectrumpusher
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:37:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pdarg

I am really wondering if it is worth it to get something like a Lexicon MX300 with USB and use that for DAW reverb instead of the Perfect Space plug-in.

Actually, I have some very good impulses that I use with Perfect Space (Lexicon impulses), but something in my memory makes me think that the ol' hardware reverb I used years ago (MIDIVerb II) sounded a bit more pristine. Perfect Space does some good things, but I am still wondering if I am missing an opportunity with the new hardware.

I would'nt use USB in this case !!! It has a rocky track record, I'd prefer the extra AD/DA conversions to using usb!!!

plectrumpusher
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:41:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

1. Convolution plugin (ie: Perfect Space or Pristine Space) with good IRs
    2. Magix VariVerb Pro

This combination covers all my reverb needs... and sounds great.
    Unless you're talking a $2k+ hardware reverb, the above plugins will likely sound better.

I generally agree , although , if the usual computing model continues , and rack units come down in cost and find a dependable, all digital interface method, I definatley hear a little extra mojo in those upper echelon lexicons and TC electronics reverbs.

Did'nt top end lexicons used to top $10,000 !!!!!!!

post edited by plectrumpusher - 2008/03/26 18:00:08

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:44:44 (permalink)
    I definatley hear a little extra mojo in those upper echelon lexicons and TC electronics reverbs.

I agree...
    But I don't hear that mojo in their $350 units.
    IMO, unless you're talking the likes of M2000 or better... or PCM70 or better, you're better off using some of the best plugin reverbs.
    post edited by Jim Roseberry - 2008/03/26 18:04:08

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:51:58 (permalink)
    I use Perfect Space and a Lexicon PCM-90 (Card-upgraded) to a 91. The 90 sports a dual stereo engine in some of the algorhythms and combined with Lexicon IR's in perfect space.. I'm all set. One thing that I do love about IR's in general is that I can load up a lot of different IR's such as real EMT plate IR's. It's a great combination. I still use a Lexicon PCM-41 and a Roland Space Chorus for delays too. One thing that I find though is that I can get through 98 % of a production just using the DSPFX that came with Sonar 2 and a few freebie Kjarheus. I only use the outboard or processor intensive stuff on final mixes.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 17:58:04 (permalink)
    Just so you guys know, the cheap MX series do not pass audio through the USB (afaik), the USB is used to control parameters through the Editor program. They do have S/PDIF though. (I have a 200)

Also, they do NOT have PCM model series sound. I would rate them closer to the Yamaha SPX series in sound quality.

plectrumpusher
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 19:55:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveJL

Just so you guys know, the cheap MX series do not pass audio through the USB (afaik), the USB is used to control parameters through the Editor program. They do have S/PDIF though. (I have a 200)

Also, they do NOT have PCM model series sound. I would rate them closer to the Yamaha SPX series in sound quality.

Sorry for the usb diss'in, can't help myself!!

Has anyone else read that many mfrg. implementation on some boxes of S/PDIF is only 18 bit?? How about using ADAT optical ???

bunnyfluffer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 20:12:50 (permalink)
    again a question of taste and budget. I own a PCM91, it's nice to have - but ultimately not needed. I like the reverb(s) better in the Eventide Eclipse (much newer box) and the unit has a lot more range. The 91 is dated so it's about time they have an update with the PCM96 which I bet will rock.

all of this said - I find myself using reverb plugs from my UAD-1, or perfect space (when not used on a buss), and sometimes even the Pantheon... I use reverb in most cases sparingly, so it doesn't have to be out in front.

But in those applications where reverb is a big part of the sound/atmosphere (eno, lanois, dead can dance, etc), I still tweek till my hearts content running through a chain of Eclipse -> D-Two -> PMC91... and then to mold it - the SPL Transient designer. I'm not looking for sounds other people have so I'm an oddball doin' it my way...

BOTTOM LINE:
    99% of the time, plugins are great for reverb and if I didn't have my hardware boxes I'd be fine. But if you're gonna buy hardware get the good stuff or you will be disappointed - I think - with any hardware reverb under $2,000 list.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 20:23:49 (permalink)
    Three little letters:
    C S R

(Classik Studio Reverb, by IK Multimedia. As sweet and smooth as you like, and EXTREMELY deep and configurable.)

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    LKane
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 20:47:55 (permalink)
    Have really been paying attention to this thread. For some reason my convolution reverb wont open in s7.2 so I am limited to the standard easy to get plugs. I think the Pantheon is verrrrrrry thin. I think The mpx200 which I own is slightly better but not by any means in the same neighborhood (read continent) with the pcm 60 or above. My first knock-me down-slap-my-face lexicon experience was with a lex 200 (not mpx, the circa 1985 three rack space beast). I don't know if it was 8, 12, 16, or 18 bit but it sounded amazing. Some years later for a live rig I bought the little LXP-1 and had to use it on an old Roland vs1680 session. I listened to that 18 year old session last week and you know what? it had that big lex sound, and from a 300 dollar old box-go figure.
    I honestly think that for a lot of things the thickness of a reverb is more important on some instruments and certain voice trax than the silky high end shimmer of some of the inside the box plugs (by thickness I don't mean low mids boost I mean genuine width/substance of sound). This thickness seems hard to find in the budget plugs. Now, ad/da issues to me aren't critical in a reverb because my personal take is that if you notice the reverb there might be too much. I feel that good reverb usage is like cologne. It's easy to put too much on. As to hardware latency you dial that away when you set predelay , don't you?, and unless you render with a audible stream you have to track the effect before mixdown anyway and you can time correct there as needed.
    POINT IS - don 't be afraid to use the hardware if its the only way you can get a substantial enough sound who cares if it's not in the box and add some shimmer with pantheon or even antress or waves if you have it. Someone on Gearslutz today said the alesis wedge which is cheap is super thick, maybe I'll pick one up.
    pdarg
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 20:51:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bunnyfluffer
    BOTTOM LINE:
    99% of the time, plugins are great for reverb and if I didn't have my hardware boxes I'd be fine. But if you're gonna buy hardware get the good stuff or you will be disappointed - I think - with any hardware reverb under $2,000 list.

Excellent advice. Thanks.
    pdarg
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 20:52:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: subtlearts

Three little letters:
    C S R

(Classik Studio Reverb, by IK Multimedia. As sweet and smooth as you like, and EXTREMELY deep and configurable.)

I just downloaded the demo - thanks.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 21:06:22 (permalink)
    I use the Waves IR-L, and their sets of 24//96 quality IR files, and it sounds great. I really can't see how a hardware device is going to sound enough better to be remotely worth it, not to mention four of them (I run generally three or four reverb busses with different IR files.) I use the Plate 140 IR plus some snare, drum, and vocal plates and they sound very nice.

As to the 'they always sound the same' thing. I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind that. There's only one wave form coming into the reverb, no matter how many instruments are run through it. The wave form gets more and more complex, but it's still just one wave form. The convolution algorithm is reacting like a real space would, or like the sampled hardware plate reverb would, etc...

And of course there are even higher quality ones than IR-L out there, but not for us SONARites unfortunately, like Trillium Labs TL-Space. But so much of it has to do with having really high quality IR files, and there is often a dirth of them. That's one of the big advantages of the more expensive ones like IR-L or TL-Space, they manufacturer goes out and gathers super high quality IR files for use with their product, and makes a lot of difference.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Stevie B
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 21:40:14 (permalink)
    Ive always been told that if your in the digital domain then it all sounds equally the same. verses AD/DA convertion. but with all these new converters getting better and better its hard to say Ive always liked the wamth of tubes but then again lots of companies have got the saturated tube sound down pretty well in the digital world. I guess it really depends on what effect you useing and you dont need tubes for delay and reverb and phase, Im sure youll still here the pros say when there doing a final mix they pefer external tube compression over digital and when it comes down to guitar most perfer twin tube miked and marshall tube miked over digital. Eventide is probablly the best of external effects units you can buy as far as external digital effects so. I actually prefer the use of both its all relavent its what suits the sound the best at the time. My college audio recording teacher said be willing to take chances and try thing out of the ordinary. thats how youll discover what you like and dont like.
    bitflipper
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 22:05:30 (permalink)
    quote:

Too bad they aren't shipping yet.

Any day now. But I have heard them, and they sound amazing.

My Stuff
    attalus
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1687
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 22:26:54 (permalink)
    I think many are still waiting for that million dollar sounding ITB reverb, hopefully they'll come soon. My current favorites are CSR and Wizooverb 2. I've heard alot of great things about TC Powercore reverbs, you may wanna take your search there.
    post edited by attalus - 2008/03/26 22:45:05

A wise man learns from his experiences, a wiser man learns from everyone elses experiences.
    bitflipper
    RE: Reverb: Hardware or Plug-ins 2008/03/26 22:30:05 (permalink)

quote:

This is simply not true. The added Conversion is negligible an often sounds better adding that tiny bit of distortion. Running SPDIF can be a pain in the neck sometimes getting everything to clock together. True about the latency being a Pain but it's something you only need to figure out once if external inserts work for your soundcard.

Something just isn't "right" with convolution reverbs. They sound great solo'd but they get blurry in a mix (to my ears at least). With the Lexicons you could pile on verb and it never got lost.

I've not heard one Reverb plugin that sounds as good and an el cheepo Lexicon MPX-100. I'm talking about in a mix, not solo'd. Then again, I've not checked out the TC Powercore or UAD plate so maybe I just need to swim in a bigger pond . . .

Is too true!

Sorry, I'm just feeling argumentative today.

The degradation from the extra conversion may indeed be small, but I've never heard anyone describe quantization distortion as a desirable effect. I stand by my standard advice, which is: once it's in the digital domain, keep it there.

And SPDIF isn't the only way to move digital data. The tc Powercore is one example. But you're right, SPDIF can be a pain sometimes. I'd rather use ethernet or firewire.

But I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say that "something just isn't right with convolution reverbs". I'm trying to imagine what that means. I've heard classic reverb units alongside convolution reverbs, and the digital imitations are pretty close - not perfect, but close. Considering the huge price difference, it's close enough for me.

My Stuff
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1