Reverb Time

Author
garvolt2002
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 76
2010/06/24 04:35:13 (permalink)

Reverb Time

I was reading when setting your reverb time you have to divide the BPM by 60 is that the correct way?

25 Replies Related Threads

reader1
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 605
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 05:12:56 (permalink)
    what's bpm? bussines process management? or
    beat per minute?

no, certainly not. you have to know what is reverberation.

its time that takes signal intensity decay 60db
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 05:53:53 (permalink)
    I've never heard of such a rule. Perhaps the "rule" is for some particular purpose?But then again, I'm no expert. The best way is to adjust the reverb time so that it sounds good. Many reverb/delay units can automatically follow the project tempo.

Also, it depends on what kind of instruments are being reverberated.
    A drum hit is totally different from an arpeggiated synth passage.

I believe many use reverb when they should use delay.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 07:44:37 (permalink)
    I was reading when setting your reverb time you have to divide the BPM by 60 is that the correct way?

Hi,

I've only seen that formula used to sync an LFO or delay time to the song tempo, not reverb time.

And not used it for a few years now as all effects softsynths have the ability to automatically sync to
    tempo.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 13:35:10 (permalink)
    reader1
    <snip> its time that takes signal intensity decay 60db

Actually, the time it takes for a sound to decay by 60 dB is the RT60... reverberation is an entirely different thing, though RT60 is associated with reverberation<G>!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 21:21:55 (permalink)
    wst3

reader1

Actually, the time it takes for a sound to decay by 60 dB is the RT60... reverberation is an entirely different thing, though RT60 is associated with reverberation<G>!

erh?
    What's difference between them?

reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 21:25:19 (permalink)
    or you are saying echo.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 21:46:35 (permalink)
    I wrote this easy to read article on Reverb and how it works. You may want to read this, or may not!!
    http://audio-mastering-mixing.com/FAQ___Q_A.html#28

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    BluesMeister
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 22:01:37 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

I wrote this easy to read article on Reverb and how it works. You may want to read this, or may not!!
    Ah, predelay, I often wondered what that was, now I know. I shall use this feature, thanks CJ.

BluesMeister
    5 guitars, 1 amplifier, 3 pedals
    Asus P8P67LE, i7 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB HDD
    Win7 Home Premium 64-Bit SP-1
    Sonar 8.5.3 64-Bit, RME HDSPe AIO
    Spendor BC-1 Studio Monitors
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 22:27:10 (permalink)
    Pre-delay is the first knob I touch when tweaking reverbs.

The greater you set your pre-delay will make it seem like there is more space between you and the walls.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 23:31:33 (permalink)
    BluesMeister

Ah, predelay, I often wondered what that was, now I know. I shall use this feature, thanks CJ.
    predelay? hehe, new word.
    are you saying the first echo time?(primary echo time).

CJaysMusic
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 23:39:31 (permalink)
    Pre-delay is the time it takes form the induction of the direct signal of the listener and the reverb portion of the effect to be heard
    Cj

Audio Blog
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/24 23:59:36 (permalink)
    this first echo time is a very important spec for recorder, as well the second echo and third.
    this increases space sense, but if its larger than 45ms, you will hear echo. just like shout in a large statium or a mountain.
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 00:08:55 (permalink)
    in acoustic we research the first, second and thid echo sound to affect on hearing.
    this pre may occur in midi field? oh, learn a new word.
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 00:46:22 (permalink)
    Nice site CJ, a lot of good effort there.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 14:04:06 (permalink)
    reader1

wst3

reader1

erh?
    The humor didn't make it through I guess... sorry about that!

But, as is sometimes the case, the statement stands true - reverberation time is a somewhat meaningless term that has become popular, and is generally accepted to mean RT60. The reason that's not an accurate use is that reverberation time consists of lots of measurements. For starters, in some spaces you are interested in RT30 (the time it takes for the original signal to decay 30 dB), and in some cases (many really) you really want to know RT30 or RT60 for octave or 1/3 octave bands.

As has already been described, in addition to the overall decay time - to any specific level - we also want to know how long till the first, second, or nth return, and maybe even how many returns.

A graph of energy vs time is almost never smooth, especially at the beginning of time measured.

And on top of it all I just realized there was a typo in my original, and apparently not amusing, post.

Hate it when that happens...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 16:18:18 (permalink)
    Middleman

Nice site CJ, a lot of good effort there.

Thank you Middleman

Audio Blog
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 20:53:30 (permalink)
    erh?
    The humor didn't make it through I guess... sorry about that!

But, as is sometimes the case, the statement stands true - reverberation time is a somewhat meaningless term that has become popular, and is generally accepted to mean RT60. The reason that's not an accurate use is that reverberation time consists of lots of measurements. For starters, in some spaces you are interested in RT30 (the time it takes for the original signal to decay 30 dB), and in some cases (many really) you really want to know RT30 or RT60 for octave or 1/3 octave bands.

As has already been described, in addition to the overall decay time - to any specific level - we also want to know how long till the first, second, or nth return, and maybe even how many returns.

A graph of energy vs time is almost never smooth, especially at the beginning of time measured.

And on top of it all I just realized there was a typo in my original, and apparently not amusing, post.

Hate it when that happens...

this time you are right. do remeber they are the same things.
    the early reflect will be very important, it wil define the size of object space.
    the decay curve is not ideal at first, that why acousticist endeavor to make it exponient smooth to fit audiences. especially buid a studio, theatre and studium etc. a burst signal used for it.
    and a pink noise signal for room frequency response, duo to it can be ananlysized by 1/3 oct band carefully without affected by stand eave of room. and easy find stand waves.

I believe you type wrong words at your original thread now.

just do remember it.
    take care.

post edited by reader1 - 2010/06/25 20:56:52
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 21:04:37 (permalink)
    different envirument requires different revb. for example, interpreter room, may a little reverb, 0.3-0.8s and for music, especailly for classic music, it will as loong as 1.8-2.3s
    cinema 0.8-1.2s and classroom same as dubroom.
    just for reference.
    I almost forget them all.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 22:11:45 (permalink)
    A better way is to divide 60 by the BPM and you will get the time per crotchet. Then multiply that by the number of crotchets per bar and you will get the time for one bar to pass. So for a tune at 120 BPM it is .5 secs per crotchet and 2 seconds per bar. (of 4/4)

These figures I guess can be useful but the time per crotchet is more useful when setting things like the release time for a compressor. Reverb is more about using your ears and setting the reverb time to be what sounds best in the situation.

The PreDelay parameter is very important and many people dont understand it or use it properly. A shorter reverb on a longer predelay can create the impression of a much longer reverb.

If you are going to do calculations do the one that refers to distance and the speed of sound. Or think about 1ms per foot or approx 3 ms per yard or meter approx. This will give you a clue as to what to set the predelay to. If you are standing in the middle of a room that is say 12 x 12 meters long then the sound might have to travel a total of 12 meters before it comes back to you. (reflection) That is a pre delay of 36 ms before the reverb starts. But if you are standing 2 meters to a wall then it is only 4 meters or 12 ms of pre delay. Start thinking room dimensions and pre delay now. It will help you much more.

The early reflections are also an important paramater and how loud they need to be. Once you get pre delay set right and early reflection levels you will already be into a nice reverb sound and then the actual reverb will be easier to set on top of that. It is amazing just how good predelay and early reflections can sound on their own. Do some experimentation and find out.

Bob Katz points out in his marvelous book on mastering that panning a mono point source sound is actually hard and vague and does not really work. You need to add predelay and early reflections to any mono point source sound before it becomes believable. He says that is why many mixes are two dimensional and lack depth. The predelays and early refs create a much better sense of depth. (not so much the reverbs themselves) Many mono point source sounds can benefit from just predelay and early refs only. (no reverb at all)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 22:23:28 (permalink)
    You can analyze this to death, but in the end it's like cooking.  Season to taste.  Let your palate (ears) be the deciding factor.
    Don't be afraid to experiment with different predelay times until you hear what you like.
    Regards to all,
    Lynn

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Jimbo21
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 696
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/25 23:16:54 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

A better way is to divide 60 by the BPM and you will get the time per crotchet. Then multiply that by the number of crotchets per bar and you will get the time for one bar to pass. So for a tune at 120 BPM it is .5 secs per crotchet and 2 seconds per bar. (of 4/4)

These figures I guess can be useful but the time per crotchet is more useful when setting things like the release time for a compressor. Reverb is more about using your ears and setting the reverb time to be what sounds best in the situation.

The PreDelay parameter is very important and many people dont understand it or use it properly. A shorter reverb on a longer predelay can create the impression of a much longer reverb.

If you are going to do calculations do the one that refers to distance and the speed of sound. Or think about 1ms per foot or approx 3 ms per yard or meter approx. This will give you a clue as to what to set the predelay to. If you are standing in the middle of a room that is say 12 x 12 meters long then the sound might have to travel a total of 12 meters before it comes back to you. (reflection) That is a pre delay of 36 ms before the reverb starts. But if you are standing 2 meters to a wall then it is only 4 meters or 12 ms of pre delay. Start thinking room dimensions and pre delay now. It will help you much more.

The early reflections are also an important paramater and how loud they need to be. Once you get pre delay set right and early reflection levels you will already be into a nice reverb sound and then the actual reverb will be easier to set on top of that. It is amazing just how good predelay and early reflections can sound on their own. Do some experimentation and find out.

Bob Katz points out in his marvelous book on mastering that panning a mono point source sound is actually hard and vague and does not really work. You need to add predelay and early reflections to any mono point source sound before it becomes believable. He says that is why many mixes are two dimensional and lack depth. The predelays and early refs create a much better sense of depth. (not so much the reverbs themselves) Many mono point source sounds can benefit from just predelay and early refs only. (no reverb at all)

Excellent post Jeff! I may have learned something.

Jim

Dell XPS 8700 i7 4770 3.4GHZ, Windows 7 64bit, 8gb Ram, Focurite 18i6, Sonar Platinum

https://soundcloud.com/jimmy-james-and-the-blue
    reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/28 04:11:40 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

sound like you midi musician merges early reflectlion into predelay word.
    while explain or call ealy rfl as mere level or intensity.
    interesting.

reader1
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/06/28 04:16:27 (permalink)
    to#21,
    it seems you haven't heard of Sabine.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/07/01 16:20:14 (permalink)
    Bruce Swedien discusses the importance of pre-delay. He often stereo mic's otherwise mono-sources. The early reflections communicated through stereo mic'ing are essential to establishing a real sense of space. Pre-delay can insure that when reverb is added to the mix it doesn't smear or obscure those early reflections. I've had some luck with mixes of direct recorded instruments (guitar, keys) where a simple delay plug panned to the opposite channel was enough to emulate a real space. By adding reverb with a pre-delay longer than the delay plug a nice believable ambience was achieved where the implied early reflection implied a strong sense of space.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Reverb Time 2010/07/02 09:00:58 (permalink)
    garvolt2002

didn't read the other posts....

I've heard that, or something similar, but I think it would apply to echo so the echo's are in time with the music tempo......

I  have never done this with reverb.... I can't see why you would need to.... a reverb is a decay time... not a repeat time... so no.....

I select the reverb amount and decay by ear..... if it works it stays.... if not I make adjustments so it does work.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1