Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know

Author
I/O
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2011/04/13 18:26:52 (permalink)

Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know

I've been really trying to study reverb lately, and learn how to use it properly.  But the more I dig in, the more I'm confused about basic concepts.  Most of the reverb plugins have many presets, which are a great starting point.  But it leads me to a dumb question.  Does it make sense to have different settings for drums, guitars, vocals, etc?  Wouldn't that make it sound like everything was recorded in different spaces, and therefor lose continuity in the song?

How do the pro's do it?  Different settings for each instrument, or one common setting for all to make it sound like everything was recorded together in the same room?

24 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/13 18:44:33 (permalink)
    Get the book Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools by Roey Izhaki.  The chapter on reverb is worth the price of the book by itself.

How do the pros do it?  Well I'm not a pro nor do I have much experience in this area, but I've seen a lot reference to the following.  Put individual reverbs on tracks as appropriate (plate reverb on a solo instrument or vocal, for example).  But put an ambiance reverb (room or hall) on the entire mix to tie it together in a coherent space.

But get the Izhaki book.  That will get you started down the right path on reverb, compression and all kinds of other essential techniques of mixing.  I know others here will resoundingly agree.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/13 21:39:59 (permalink)
    There are no rules, more like guidelines (to sorta quote " Pirates").   A lot depends upon the style of music.  You wouldn't want a bunch of different reverbs on a chamber orch, or on a jazz quartet.  Rock you can get away with a few - I don't think  " when the levee breaks"  just used the drum reverb on everything. But the more you use, the more confusing and cluttered the sound gets.  And be aware that most synths and many guitars have their own reverb.

I usually have a vox plate going as the main verb, and add a track or two inline verbs - or delays.  Try them - they work very well for adding space without cluttering up all the space.   Drums can also sometimes use a short verb on the bus.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/13 22:29:36 (permalink)
    I generally put the reverbs in the busses.

Brass might use the same reverb (dark plate medium hall) but with different settings from the strings. By having them in 2 different busses, I can easily set that up.... I solo the busses to get the overall sound right for that buss, then after adding them together in the mix I might need to turn them down to avoid the mass confusion that can result from too much reverb.

Play it by ear.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/13 22:32:10 (permalink)
    I usually use 2-3 reverbs (normally two).

A short one, and a longer one.   Usually the shorter one on things like snare and HH, longer ones on synths and vocals.

But of course, use your judgement, and experiement.   Try lots of different settings and see what you like.

For example, usually on snares, I like a shorter reverb, BUT there are a number of good songs that have a big snare sound.  See for example Born in the USA, or my other threat on snare sounds

One other thing to remember, is normally lots of reverb puts a sound further back in the mix.  So you can use reverb as well as pan for putting sounds where you want in your sound field (ie in 3d instead of 2d)

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/13 22:35:30 (permalink)
    im not sure about an answr to your question..but your thread title sure says it all..because for me its true when it comes to reverberation..ive learned the technics.but in the end my ears are what makes the motor run.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/14 05:27:39 (permalink)
    It depends so much on what sounds you use. Many synth sounds include reverb and/or delay, as do many presets in drum software and other VSTis. An added reverb can sabotage such sounds or the mix badly.
    Often a delay does what you might assume is done per instrument with a reverb. I use never more than two different reverbs in a project (usually one and some delays) and I use buses whenever possible. But I'm an amateur with modest equipment, so I try to keep things simple.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    I/O
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/14 12:29:35 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!  Great info here.  I'm going to check out that book for sure.

I should have given more background.  I play/record mostly rock instrumental guitar music.  One of the primary area's where I was confused was on my guitar tones.  I use an AxeFx for all my tones. It has an outstanding reverb, but it's obviously going to be different than my plugins for drums/bass/keys etc.  I was considering if I should record dry and use the same plug for everything post production.  But I guess from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, it's ok to mix different types of reverb as long as they're not stepping on each other.  I've been messing with using a plate on my guitar solo's and a light ambience on the whole mix, which is sounding good to me.  I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track and wasn't breaking any "rules"

Appreciate the feedback once again
    danbob
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/14 18:54:07 (permalink)
    Hey, if it's sounding good to you, it's OK by me.

Rules shmules!

munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/15 10:53:09 (permalink)
    dmbaer

But put an ambiance reverb (room or hall) on the entire mix to tie it together in a coherent space. 

Is that one send on the master bus or individual sends on each track with varying degrees?

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/15 11:10:28 (permalink)
    Rules shmules!

Anarchist!

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/15 11:22:49 (permalink)
    Although there are no strict rules, I always make it a point to balance the mix without the reverb(s) first...and often in mono.  Then I do panning, and then the reverb.

For most contemporary productions you generally want something that is clearly the "front" part of a mix and at least one thing that is clearly the "back" part of a mix.  Just having one mix element that is 50% wet (reverb)/softer in volume/a touch darker will give a mix a sense of front to back depth.

That's just my workflow

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    dmbaer
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/16 20:39:43 (permalink)
    munmun

dmbaer

But put an ambiance reverb (room or hall) on the entire mix to tie it together in a coherent space. 

Is that one send on the master bus or individual sends on each track with varying degrees?

First, let me repeat my disclaimer that I'm not an experienced practitioner, but just someone who has read everything he can get his hands on regarding reverb.

But I think the answer to your question is "it depends" ... on a lot of things, like what you're mixing, what kind of reverbs you're working with, and what you're trying to achieve.  The coherent space notion is to simply make the contributing voices sound like they're in the same physical space.  But you may also want to present a sound of some voices being out front and some further back.  For that, early reflections play a big part, and a single shared reverb would not be able to do it all.  For many applications, this may not matter, and a single "mastering" reverb will get the job done.  In other cases, you might need to put discreet reverbs on different track groups or individual tracks, adjust the early reflections on a reverb by reverb basis, and adjust the late reflections to more or less match.

As has been said here more times than anyone could count: if it sounds right it is right.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/17 00:45:37 (permalink)
    I usually end up using one reverb as I'm typically mixing instruments as a band would record. I think it makes mixes sound cleaner and clearer not having instrumentation attempting to relate to multiple environments. Doing more specialized music such as a lot of synth or effects music can open up to a lot more opportunities to just play with effects and sound design where I might use a few.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/17 11:04:58 (permalink)
    I like this thread's title. You could make it a general statement: _________, the more I learn, the less I know. Fill in the blank with anything.

I've always maintained that the true definition of an "expert" is one who has begun to grasp the enormity of the depths of his ignorance. The greatest danger occurs during that period between total noob-ness and real expertise, when you know enough to be confident but not enough to appreciate just how dangerous you are.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/17 15:42:14 (permalink)
    In (highly artificial) modern music some of those high end mixer guys will use numerous reverbs. But each one will be typically quite short and EQ'd substantially probably. They will be applied for separation purposes, whereas mostly we'd probably think of reverb as a factor contributing to the gluing together of tracks. By using these short, almost delay-like, reverbs but quite differently processed on different instruments, they are kind of making them stand out.

I would never be so brave to (or really want to I don't think) do that, but some folks do it. At the other end of the spectrum, if you look back at something like Dark Side of the Moon, where they probably had a single real plate reverb for the whole thing, on console send, and everything shared that (other than of course pedal based reverb that Gilmour would use on his guitars.)

And it's used VERY liberally, as you can hear in Money when they turn it off and you are suddenly hearing the completely dry recording. The difference is pretty huge. But, they were also doing quite sparce and slower tempo songs, in which that kind of gorgeous, thick ambience works. You couldn't get away with that on a faster, more dense tune probably and would need to use shorter and less dense reverb.

So, anyway, that was just a convoluted way of saying, whatever works. It's all a matter of taste. You listen to something like Al Green from the 70s and it was bone dry, but somehow doesn't seem empty. OTOH, some stuff from the 80s was so drenched in reverb that you could hardly hear the original sounds. A lot of it just fashion of the times, and you may be able to make your stuff stand out by being a 'reverboclast' and going the other way.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/18 14:27:38 (permalink)
    Here's one of the best reverb tutorials I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWq0SaBPlw4  He uses the Sonnox plugin, but the techniques can be applied with just about any other reverb plugin including the Sonitus.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/18 14:47:14 (permalink)
    i have come to prefer short delays with repeats over reverb.

to my ears, it's a cleaner effect.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/19 10:46:11 (permalink)
    That's one of the things I like about that video I linked. He spends a lot of time on the early reflections portion--kinda like the short delays with repeats. And you don't even have to use the 'reverb' part of the plugin at all, mute it and only use the early reflections.

Which delay do you use for this? I haven't found a delay that can quite give that subtle sense of space, over a nice early reflection plugin.
    batsbrew
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/19 11:10:03 (permalink)
    i use waves supertap, 2 tap.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/19 11:11:05 (permalink)
    the sonitus isn't a bad plug, either. very workable.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/19 20:29:34 (permalink)
    The Sonitus and Cakewalk FXReverb are both fine sounding reverbs and I continue to use them a lot.  However, one should be aware that they are not true-stereo reverb plugins, i.e., they sum the incoming signal to mono.  If your goal is to emulate the spatial characteristics of being in a real room or hall, you should try something else.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/19 21:30:48 (permalink)
    A quite nice freebie reverb is EpicVerb.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/20 11:54:24 (permalink)
    Not that I am a reverb guru but there are several steps you have to go through all of which may or may not apply depending on the effect you want to convey.

First there are the basic sonics of the reverb you use. Like microphones and preamps, certain reverbs will or won't match a vocalist. Some are are so broad range you can get away with EQing them for the range that works with the vocal. So basically, try 3 or 4 or 10 until you find one that seems to match your vocal or instrument of choice.

Next you may have to refine your chosen verb with EQ. A lot of ITB plugins are harsh or ringy on the hi end. In a lot of cases there is also too much low midrange which just clouds the mix. A high pass up to even 600Hz and a low pass down to 4k or below are not unusual. If you have a Pultec emulation plug in, drop it behind your EQ to add some rich quality back to the sound. On the artistic side, you can even automate your EQ to change throughout the song or just turn off where you want to emphasize a dry vocal line.

After you are happy with the basic sound of the reverb against the vocal and in line with the rest of the track, you can move on to (possibly) compression which controls any stray transients. This can occur before or after the Pultec but generally after the reverb. This will tend to emphasize low level reverb information and is sometimes, but not always useful.

Another common technique is a delay before or after the reverb. This to get a dreamy like quality to a sound. Also play with the predelay on the reverb itself if it has one.

Another aspect is automation of the reverb signal at strategic moments where the vocal stops and the reverb comes up right behind it to create the illusion that reverb is there all the time. In fact it's only there a few times in the song. This is primarily to prevent the mix from becoming awash in reverb while creating the impression it was there the whole time. Automation can be inline or on the printed version of the reverb.

Other considerations are true stereo vs mono placement using pan. All subject to taste.

Finally there is what I refer to as cloud control. How much of the reverb do you want down the middle of the mix and does it conflict with the primary elements of kick, snare, bass and vocal? Some middle clearing techniques are:
    - Mid/Side to move the reverb information to the sides of the mix
    - Print, copy and slip one of the prints 4-8ms.

Last step, print the reverb. Two reasons: 1. so you can have a reference baseline in case you go tweaking again you have something to compare your efforts to. 2. You can do a whole host of special effects, automation, etc, to the simple audio track of reverb and reduce your plug ins. Expensive reverbs like the Bricasti have a host of modulations they apply to the reverb which is why they sound expensive. You can experiment with some of your own modulations on the printed track.

Just some ideas I have come across and tried. Reverb is a complete subject of artistic techniques.  
    post edited by Middleman - 2011/04/20 17:05:16

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    dmbaer
    Re:Reverb - the more I learn, the less I know 2011/04/20 13:22:55 (permalink)
    Middleman

Not that I am a reverb guru ...

Well, you could have fooled me, Middleman.  That was a very informative post.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1