Reverb..OMG STOP! :)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
chaz
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2775
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/19 21:54:34 (permalink)
I feel like I am the guilty party for suggesting reverb.

See what you started, Don. You just could not help yourself now, could you?!
den121961
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/19 22:41:54 (permalink)
CHaz, I bookmarked the page, I'll have to work my way through it and play with it. It's good to know it can be fixed a bit. Thanks for checking out my songs also, I know they're pretty rough as far as production goes. Unfortunately, I don't get enough time to work on the music, let alone the production. THis is purely a hobby for me, so although I'd be interested in knowing what the problems are I can't expect you to take that much time out of your schedule.

Den
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 00:24:43 (permalink)
since i live in an abandoned railway tunnel, i don't use reverb.
jeff
pluto
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 875
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 01:40:43 (permalink)
In regards to the comment about copying and pasting guitar
or vocal tracks a slight bit off from each other to get a verb
effect. I've been experimenting with that process for
about a year now and it does work. That's all i can tell you.
I've done that on Highway 93.

Best Regards,
pluto

kidsoncoffee
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 524
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 02:00:56 (permalink)
Tell you what. Ill stop using reverb if you stop posting 30 some reply threads about FX on the songs page. I am not without guilt however, for real though.
Theirs alot of people who post here who deserve having their stuff looked at, but get short changed because this kind of thing is pushing it off the front page to its death. Im sorry for ****ing, we should all stop being so rude including myself

joe
6stringsat100mph
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1385
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 02:12:06 (permalink)
Here here....This post has no more business being here than it does being said at all. People are learning here Mr. Zepola1....we are not without guilt in alot of areas but to come in here and **** in a blanket way is like going to a 5th grade classroom and screaming at everyone for not knowing advanced calculus. Does make me think that I would love to hear some of your perfect mixes with the absolute perfect amount of reverb and all blended in just so.....Cant wait to hear it....
Mark
pluto
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 02:16:19 (permalink)
I would like to hear some too.
kidsoncoffee
  • Total Posts : 524
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 03:07:34 (permalink)
Oh dear......... oh my..............
Now Ive gone an done it again!
But as long as Im here. I would like to ask people to not use the reply link of the bottom most post by defalt. If you are speeking to someone use the reply link in sed persons posting. Granted I am not what youd call a smart man jenny.
But Im shure this type of thing can be as confusing to outhers as it is to me.

Remember:
If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding
how can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat?
< Message edited by kidsoncoffee -- 1/20/2005 3:16:26 AM >
m11
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 417
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 07:06:49 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pluto

Be careful when you do that. You could lose mono compatibility:

Melf
< Message edited by m11 -- 1/20/2005 1:15:00 PM >
zepo1a
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 08:41:24 (permalink)
Kidsoncoffee.

Well, I believe I listened to your track and didn't mention anything about reverb.

I'm not going to go look it up but I recall saying the mix sounded good or something to that effect.

but get short changed because this kind of thing is pushing it off the front page to its death. Im sorry for ****ing,

this is one thread. What has it exactly "pushed off the page"?

Zep--
zepo1a
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 08:46:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

Here here....This post has no more business being here than it does being said at all. People are learning here Mr. Zepola1....we are not without guilt in alot of areas but to come in here and **** in a blanket way is like going to a 5th grade classroom and screaming at everyone for not knowing advanced calculus.

If you don't want an opinion, why are you posting the music? I gave an honest opinion of what I heard and relayed that to you.

I realize people are learning. And I didn't mean to single you out, that's why I started a new thread (this one) about it.

To use an effect just because you have it does not always justify it's use.

Does make me think that I would love to hear some of your perfect mixes with the absolute perfect amount of reverb and all blended in just so.....Cant wait to hear it....
Mark

Taking my musicianship out of the equation, What if I was just a casual listener?
Does that nullify my right to make a comment here?

I've praised quite a bit of songs here, and gave some constructive (in my eyes/ears) criticism too.

Now if I don't belong to the club where everybody gives rainbows and lolipop reviews of everything here...well, i'm sorry.

I've never personaly attacked or flamed anyone because of their music. If you find that is not the case, please point it out to me.

Zep--
6stringsat100mph
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 14:49:55 (permalink)
Zepola1

That is not what I said nor what I meant. I am not at all troubled by the criticizm. The type of critique you have offered is what has made me a better producer of my own music. It is this thread that I object to. You start a thread in the songs forum that should have been started in the coffee house as far as I can see. I am not at all concerned or troubled about your comments to me in my thread "Bounty Hunter" you were right. I think however this thread is a bit discouraging to new people in particular in its content and the direction it has gone in.

And lastly, the reason I mention your music is that anyone, I feel, that joins this forum needs to earn respect fromn his/her fellow members. This is in no way mandatory, hoiwever it does make it quite a bit more palatable when offering critique when we know that the person doing the critique has a leg to stand on. That may be an unpopular thing to say, but it is life. How can you instruct me when I dont know your credentials. Even though I will state again, you were right on about the reverb in "Bounty". This is a somewhat closeknit group. I will always heed Chaz, Michael Japan, JMarkham and many others advice without question. I know they offer good and credible advice.
So welcome to the group and I hope that you find it as productive, entertaining, and enjoyable as I do.
Thanks
Mark
< Message edited by 6stringsat100mph -- 1/20/2005 11:58:43 AM >
zepo1a
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 15:24:05 (permalink)
I fail to see how posting it at the Coffe House would be relevent to here. Maybe Techniques..or well, I dont have the whole forum list at hand, but its def not coffeehouse material.

I mean ya say I came and "****ed in a blanket way". I wasn't ****ing at all. Emotion hard to convey with keyboard I guess.

Was there not enough LOL's and smilies there for ya in the original first post or what?

The post was meant to help, not hurt. I thought I was posting it in a humorus way, guess I failed.

If you think I started this thread because of your song, I didn't. I went thru and listened to about 10 or more pages of songs here . I didn't comment on everyone, just the ones I liked (yours included). Hoping something I said would help make a difference.

There are a lot of good mixes on the forum, and a lot of washed out ones too.

And again, I'm commenting as a listener, not a musician. I don't care if your fast or slow or do ballet music , orchastra stuff or trance or whatever. How good or bad I am as a musician does not come into play as far as I'm concerned. I get the feeling you now want me to throw up some music so you can slag it. And ya know, I can throw up some real crap real quick like for it if that's what ya want. Isn't going to change anything I hear here with my ears tho.

Zep--
bhd2vek
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 15:26:44 (permalink)
But as long as Im here. I would like to ask people to not use the reply link of the bottom most post by defalt. If you are speeking to someone use the reply link in sed persons posting.

Funny how that button didn't appear in my browser until you mentioned it. Kinda lends credibility to the "Internet is God" thread over in the Coffee House. Either that, or my wifes claim of my selective hearing/reading disorder...
6stringsat100mph
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 16:07:06 (permalink)
OK...well whatever...this is going nowhere. You are entitled, as everyone is, to speak your mind. I never ever felt singled out at all, I did not feel threatened or that you made these comments in a hurtful way.
Anyway, do what you like, critique what you want in any fashion you see fit.
Again, welcome to the forum.
I hope all your communication with its members goes a little smoother than this has.
Regards,
mark
zepo1a
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 16:15:53 (permalink)
We cool then. That's good. I really meant it when I said I liked your stuff.

I'm a nice laid back old hippy, really! :)

Zep--
6stringsat100mph
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 16:29:28 (permalink)
No sweat...and never a problem with me....Conversation may be spirited, but never personal.
Regards,
Mark
chaz
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 18:48:28 (permalink)

Best Regards,
pluto

Pluto,

Though I have also use that a time or two, I have not posted comments in this thread regarding your post. You must be making reference to someone other than myself.

Thanks.
chaz
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/20 19:06:53 (permalink)
No sweat...and never a problem with me....Conversation may be spirited, but never personal.

Well Mark.... I have to admit that you do have a way with words at times. Reading them alone is entertaining enough for me.

pluto
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/21 01:21:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chaz

Best Regards,
pluto

Pluto,

Though I have also use that a time or two, I have not posted comments in this thread regarding your post. You must be making reference to someone other than myself.

Thanks.

Hi Chaz.... yes you are right. I should've quoted the post. The
copying and pasting comment i quoted was from Zepo1a's
first post in this topic.

I tried it with only a couple of lead guitar
parts in H 93. Sometimes just playing the exact lead alongside
the other lead can get the verb effect too without copying and
pasting anything if the lead is played a slight bit off, not
easy to do, need really good timing, maybe that's where
the drumming experience comes in that helps me pull it off.
I should be getting high speed soon and i plan on checking
all your mixes out Chaz as well as other music on here too.
I did check out your website and it is top notch. So hope
my answer above solved the mystery...lol.

Best Regards,
pluto

chaz
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/21 07:42:03 (permalink)
No problem, Pluto.

And glad you like the website. We are adding two more pages to it by the end of the weekend, if not by the end of the day, so stay tuned.
mancelot
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/21 09:39:09 (permalink)
Den,

I just listened to your stuff as well, and I have to say... Nice chops man. I like the recordings as well... one of the best I have heard so far in this forum. I downloaded The exodus, and now I am listening to Stacy's Romp... Great stuff man. (sorry, I know it's off topic, but I am new )

Mance - 

Music and Videos
Facebook 

RavenHawk
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/31 17:56:00 (permalink)
Thank the Guitar God in heaven Dick Dale or The Ventures didnt read about not useing Verb. ROFLMAO
clubbedtodeath
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/31 18:21:22 (permalink)

Right. It all depends on the type of music and the setting in which one wants to place it.

Indeed. I feel this keenly as an electronic musician, since effects are actually part of the composition process, not just the production. It's quite possible I could spend more time getting the right chain of effects for a track, than actually writing notes.

Compression is an absolute must in electronic music. In fact, sometimes you deliberately over-compress to get a particular type of sound; particularly with basslines, and even more so if you employ cutoff filters. (I also agree with others that it can be overused, especially in the mastering process)

As to reverb, it's an essential tool to be able to create a sense of distance between instruments, to give the music a 3-dimensional feel. Definitely a tool to have in your arsenal; knowing that if you want this kind of effect in a song you know how to do it.
< Message edited by clubbedtodeath -- 1/31/2005 6:34:03 PM >
NTX
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/31 18:47:46 (permalink)
I think reverb is probably the most overused effect there is.

IIIIIII Disagreeeeeeee
< Message edited by NTX -- 1/31/2005 6:55:49 PM >

More Balls = Less Brains

NTX
http://www.soundclick.com/ntx
NTX
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/01/31 19:24:40 (permalink)
It is this thread that I object to. You start a thread in the songs forum that should have been started in the coffee house as far as I can see.

But if it was in another forum the people who primarily use the songs forum would probably miss it. And I would guess that the songs posted here are what the thread is about.

I realize that question of tehnique vs song content has become a issue on this forum lately but you cannot completely seperate the two. And this is a forum hosted by a music recording software company after all.

The cakewalk description for this 'Songs' forum is simply this:

Post links to your latest songs or projects.

That description is pretty wide open and does not in any way preclude discussions about certain aspects of the songs posted. In that light it is reasonable that this forum has become a medium for posting and critiquing songs, and specifically recordings of songs.

There are other places on the web to share lyrics, tab, notation and such but this fourm is about songs recorded on Cakewalk products. So I may be off base here but it seems unreasonable to expect users of this forum to completely refrain for making comments about technique.

Yes there is a forum dedicated to recording technique but that forum does not explicitly invite people to post links to songs and this one does. And anyone who looks at the stats is going to figure out that the techniques forum gets a lot less traffic so posting there is not exactly going generate much response.

It is reasonable to redirect someone who makes a post that doesn't quite fit to the correct forum. But it seems that lately there is a bit too much of people playing at being the forum police.

More Balls = Less Brains

NTX
http://www.soundclick.com/ntx
RockMaestro
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1245
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/02/02 00:57:09 (permalink)
Hi, I'm Peter, [you all say: "Hi Peter!"] and I'm a reverberationaholic.

I have gone WAY overboard with the reverb on some of my songs, although recently I've been learning a bit more subtlety. I love the sound of reverbs though and I really like the idea of creating a space.

A lot of what reverb means has to do with the style too. Listening to live classical in a nice big hall is great, and the reverb trails sound devine. However, a loud pop or rock song in the same environment might be out of place.

For pop music, reverb should really be a subtle effect, IMHO. However, in my most recent song posting ( http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=357506 ), I've used some pretty heavy reverb on some tracks, and the whole mix. But because I'm trying to make somewhat agressive timbres a little less obtrustive, I've opted to 'push them back' a bit with reverb. Because it's electronic music, there are no rules anyway and I think the piece is better for it. If you heard some of those sounds totally dry, you'd just go "Okay, that's a nice bonk, what now?"
Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4951
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/02/02 01:41:41 (permalink)
Most early human art has been found in caves. Sociologists
would point out that there must have been music there too ..
so reverb is a natural part of the human psycho-acoustic
model .. the lack of reverb is unnatural to us, Don't fight
your DNA :-)
jeff
MightyLeeMoon
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/02/02 07:18:21 (permalink)
Never really been bitten by the reverb bug.....

But the Cakewalk Tapesim bug? Now I was bit hard by that bug in the beginning. Now I try to avoid it like the plague....a wow effect that can be better achieved with EQ. I was also nibbled by the compression bug....but with some guidance in the Technique forum....I've learned, I think, to use appropriately.

i throw my self into the arms of that which will betray me.
i guess to see how far providence will stoop down, just to save me
http://www.myspace.com/akinderbiography
http://www.myspace.com/leeneitzel
MofineStudios
  • Total Posts : 85
RE: Reverb..OMG STOP! :) 2005/02/03 00:59:22 (permalink)
Never really been bitten by the reverb bug.....

I had the reverb bug real bad when I first started recording.I didn't realize it when I kept adding more reverb,but when I would come back the next day and listen to it,sounded like I was in a baseball stadium.Through therapy I have managed to keep it under control.

Also had the compression bug for a while also,now I only use it when mastering,and very little.I think now I'm progessing in to the tapeism stage.I think I'll just ride this one out,and see where it takes me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1