Richard Thompson - Last Night

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/10/15 19:07:44 (permalink)

Richard Thompson - Last Night

Yesterday evening I took a trip up the M5 to see Richard Thompson at the Colston Hall in Bristol. It was almost exactly two years since I saw him at the same venue, that time it was the Electric Trio, this time he was solo.

No issues with my seats this time, we were five rows back from the desk and dead centre.

The show was opened by Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker who kicked off with a version of Reynardyne very reminiscent of Sandy Denny, but it was mostly original material "I have been trying to write a uplifting anthem and this is as close as I got" joked Josienne at one stage. Beautiful voice, great melodies, thoughtful lyrics, excellent guitar playing, but not the most cheerful set. She says buy the album for the nights you are home by your self with a bottle of red wine and have a good cry.

Richard was excellent, alone with an acoustic guitar for a long 100 minute set. The quality of his guitar playing is phenomenal. The set included a good mixture from his enormous back catalogue. A couple of big ones, "Meet on the Ledge" and "Vincent Black Lightning" turned up surprisingly early, leaving "Beeswing" for the encore. Its always nice when you see some one that's been around so long and a highlight is one of the most recent songs "Beatnik Walking" remains one of my favorite RT songs.

I have been coming to the Colston Hall for 49 years, says Richard, first time in 1969 wit Fairport. "They haven't changed the dressings rooms in all that time, come to think of it that haven't changed the towels."

He did a nice cover of Sandy Denny's "Who Knows Where the Time Goes"

And the was the inevitable comic song to contrast the trade mark "Doom Gloom and the Tomb" this time "Hots for the Smarts". Love the "Plutonium stains down her dress " line.

Great night all round.
post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2017/10/15 20:34:12

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

7 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/15 19:27:50 (permalink)
    Sounds great Glyn! I miss the Colston Hall, used to go there a lot. Dinner at 'Bella Italia' then walk over and see the gig. A favourite was Paul Rodgers on his 'Now' album tour, great band (Geoff Whitehorn, Jaz Lochrie, Jimmy Copley)...that was 20 years ago...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/15 21:49:09 (permalink)
    Glyn goes to more concerts in a year than I do in 20...  Oh well!

I now have clients directly across as well as right next door from the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall (the most used concert venue in the Portland Metro Area) so maybe I should see more!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/16 12:39:40 (permalink)
    Hi,

I'm still trying to find the CD version of that album "Live, More or Less" with the massive versions of "Night Come In" and "Calvary Cross". I think Craig mentioned it once, but I'm still looking to find it.

See the film about him.

http://pedrosena.com/reviews/richthompson.htm

Richard comes around Portland quite often, and I'm guessing that he always has an audience around here. I know that Vancouver, up north also has that big festival, which I keep thinking would be good for him, too!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    craigb
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/16 16:51:16 (permalink)
    "Live, More or Less" is one of the few I DON'T have...

Moshkito
    Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3765
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/17 14:19:43 (permalink)
    craigb

I think you said one time that it was on another CD ... but I have never found it. Both the long cuts that are live, are magnificent, and I would pay to see them done again. The RT of later, is a bit of less interest for me, as it seems like too much of a "song", when before, it was more about his playing and his continuity. I LOVED, his flowing out in FC and then on some of his earlier stuff ... I'm not sure there were too many guitarists that could "flow" like that so easily and make it sound ... stratospheric ... if there is such a word. Right off the bat, the only other one I remember that did that and I DID see him in concert, was Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Of all the solo albums of Richard's I have, none of them have that spectacular flow as he is capable of in a long cut.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/17 14:53:01 (permalink)
    Would love to see Richard.
    Does the Northeast US a bit, not so much in Florida.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    craigb
    Re: Richard Thompson - Last Night 2017/10/17 16:49:25 (permalink)
    Moshkito
    craigb

I think you said one time that it was on another CD ... but I have never found it. Both the long cuts that are live, are magnificent, and I would pay to see them done again. The RT of later, is a bit of less interest for me, as it seems like too much of a "song", when before, it was more about his playing and his continuity. I LOVED, his flowing out in FC and then on some of his earlier stuff ... I'm not sure there were too many guitarists that could "flow" like that so easily and make it sound ... stratospheric ... if there is such a word. Right off the bat, the only other one I remember that did that and I DID see him in concert, was Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Of all the solo albums of Richard's I have, none of them have that spectacular flow as he is capable of in a long cut.

Check your PM's.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1