Ripple edit crashes

Author
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
2017/06/05 14:19:45 (permalink)

Ripple edit crashes

Hi all. Just wondering if others are seeing this. Trying some pretty straightforward edits on a project started in a previous version. I'm getting a crash on pretty much the most basic possible operation with ripple editing enabled - I have a stereo track, with about 3 edits along its length so far, and I want to work on one in the middle, so I'm moving that chunk to the right. This crashes the program hard. It strikes me it's hard to even come up with a more basic test of the ripple edit feature, but it's failing bigly. Does it have to do with having started the project in a previous version? Because, you know, it shouldn't... Anyone else with ripple trouble?

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...

9 Replies Related Threads

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/05 14:24:37 (permalink)
    can you repro from a fresh project?

just a sec

subtlearts
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/05 14:30:15 (permalink)
    Well strangely it seems to be working as expected now. After a couple of program (not computer) restarts. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it happens again. Not sure what happened to 'fix' it - I didn't actually change anything, or save the project, or anything - just started the project up again and hoped it would sort itself out, which is the kind of thing that computers - and software - *shouldn't* really be able to do, but somehow do sometimes. Case in point. 

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/05 15:13:15 (permalink)
    Remember if you have any tube emulation plug-ins in a project, you need to give them about three minutes to warm up. This is why sometimes errors will happen when you start a project, and then a few minutes into it, everything works 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    subtlearts
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/05 16:05:35 (permalink)
    That must be it. Either that or the tape emulation ran off the spool. Did I forget to store it tails out again? I've rewound them all now and established SMPTE sync between the decks, seems to be working. Might need to realign the heads soon though. 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    WallyG
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/05 16:09:07 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Remember if you have any tube emulation plug-ins in a project, you need to give them about three minutes to warm up. This is why sometimes errors will happen when you start a project, and then a few minutes into it, everything works 

I use a separate power supply emulation for the heaters in all my tube emulation plug-ins that is turned ON whenever the computer is turned ON. By the time the computer boots up, my tube emulators are good to go...

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/06 02:40:45 (permalink)
    If you saved any crash dumps from this we can try and analyze them...

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    thornton
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/06 03:24:50 (permalink)
    any videos yet
    subtlearts
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/06 19:32:09 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    If you saved any crash dumps from this we can try and analyze them...

I allowed the Fault Reporter to send a couple of reports. I will try to capture a crash dump if it happens again. It did happen a couple more times but has been stable since then. One of those particularly annoying Intermittent Problems...

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Ripple edit crashes 2017/06/06 20:35:43 (permalink)
    So watched the video on Youtube. This will save a lot of time in arrangements. Liked the humorous narrator too. 

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1