Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing...

Author
Purple Rhapsody
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 469
2011/02/07 13:28:52 (permalink)

Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing...

Hi,

I love the music of Mike Oldfield and he wrote a wonderful track called The Lake that starts off and ends with echoing rippling synths that evoke the image of ripples on a lake intermingling and mixing. I decided that I wanted to see if I could emulate him... and completely failed!

Nevertheless, here is a link to what evolved from my effort at emulating a true composing genius - the only remaining part is the echoing piano... everything else has been added or removed since.

http://snd.sc/gVcW8Y

Cheers,
Terry.
PS: This track is going to be included on a compilation created by the Mike Oldfield fans on Tubular.Net (http://tubular.net). The compilation is meant as a tribute but not a 'fawning' copy... the tracks will be downloadable for free when it's finished (aiming for 15th May) :)

Purple Rhapsody - emotions without words http://purplerhapsody.co.uk/

8 Replies Related Threads

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 15:07:02 (permalink)
    Hi Terry ,the only thing you failed at, if you could call it that, is that  you didn't use a real nylon string guitar and that you didn't use any fast finger vibrato on the electric guitar solo, a Mike Oldfield trademark. Excellent composition, you obviously put a lot of effort in this one, now go and learn how to play guitar like Mike .

Greetings, Rik
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 15:27:01 (permalink)
    morenoise

Hi Terry ,the only thing you failed at, if you could call it that, is that  you didn't use a real nylon string guitar and that you didn't use any fast finger vibrato on the electric guitar solo, a Mike Oldfield trademark. Excellent composition, you obviously put a lot of effort in this one, now go and learn how to play guitar like Mike .

Greetings, Rik

Hi Rik,

Thanks for the compliments. You can probably tell that I'm not a very good guitarist, hence the reason I fall back on samples. I really do try and play the keyboard notes in the same way that the strings on a guitar would be plucked but there's no replacement for true talent on the real instrument. I'll go back and re-record the electric guitar though - I can actually manage the side-to-side vibrator that Mike Oldfield uses whereas I completely suck at the up-and-down vibrato that most guitarists use.

Cheers,
    Terry.

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 15:48:11 (permalink)
    Hi Terry, the criticism about the nylon string samples is just that, the notes you're playing sound very guitar like. Mike is using the classical side to side vibrato on electric, but really fast, makes you recognize his guitar playing every time.

Greetings , Rik
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 15:57:36 (permalink)

Pleasant captured the idea. nice.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 16:59:09 (permalink)
    "the only remaining part is the echoing piano..."

are you going to add the echoing piano?

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Purple Rhapsody
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 17:03:50 (permalink)
    rockinrobby

"the only remaining part is the echoing piano..."

are you going to add the echoing piano?

echoing piano?

paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 18:45:06 (permalink)
    Not listened to a great deal of MO other than the obvious, butl iked it on the whole and even I can hear a few nods to the man himself, so you must have got that right . Nitpick -  the section with just the guitar - doesn't quite sound right - not particularly because it's played on keys, just the sound itself or the reverb makes it seem like it was done somewhere else.
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Ripples - trying to copy Mike Oldfield and failing... 2011/02/07 18:51:25 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with the piece you were trying for, but I really like what you've done here.  Where it slows down, then comes back in at 2:06 is great!  Yeah, everything seems to sit so well.  I think you're very close with the guitar synth.  I really like what you've done (of course, I'm not a guitar player either :-)  ), and it seems to me that just a little more tweaking and you'd have it.  Of course, I wouldn't know how to do that either.  :-)  If you're serious about using a guitar in your pieces, though, Luke (dreambliss) recently got Electri6ity guitar synth and I think it's pretty convincing. 

Anyway, this is great.  I've thought of trying to emulate ripples, and snow sparkling and similar things.  It's always a challenge.  :-) 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1