Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/01/28 16:24:34 (permalink)

Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo

Robbie finally knuckled under to the pressure  and allowed me to mix his masterpiece. It was quite an adventure, as we worked together to completely change the feel of the song. He asked me to let him in on some of my mixing techniques, so I took upon myself to make some notes. If you ever wanted to know how my fervid brain works when I am arranging/mixing, this is the thing for you!

Missing Person Mix Notes

Anyway, here is the tune, which I still think is the finest he has written. We took it down a notch, so as to showcase his excellent singing voice. Would like to hear what you all think.

Missing Person: A Factory Yoyo Production

62 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 16:34:41 (permalink)
    Yeah those vocals sound great!! Nice job mixing them - they sound nice and clear. Tried to read your notes, but I'm blocked so I'll try to check it out later...  I agree that it's one of Robby's best.

The drums were driving me nuts on this, though. They don't seem to be moving the song a long - no groove. Not sure what's changed or why that's bothering me, but I found it very distracting. Could just be me, who knows...
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 16:44:49 (permalink)
    Most excellent IMO.  It's a great tune, the arrangement fits perfectly, and Robby's voice(s)/harmony are to die for.  The mix and vocals sounded crystal clear on this end, James.  Congratz- you took a diamond of a song and polished it even more. 
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 17:13:29 (permalink)
    Yeah James really knows what he's doing at the console... I wish I had a fraction of his talent in that aspect. I was "amazed" at the outcome based on both the changes he made? And the job on the mix. I mean "truly" amazed... I only wish I could have afforded to pay him for this "youmans work"

Unfortunately, when he found out I was destitute? Well... It was kind of like the scene from Young Frankenstine? With Madeline Kahn and the monster? 

I'm still not walking right 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWrCf7rAytc

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 19:32:22 (permalink)
    The drums certainly change the feel of this one.  Not sure which way I like them best, since I'm so used to hearing them double time.  Glad you got a decent guitar solo out of him.  :-)  I miss the sax solo, but that's just me. 

Robby, you scored!  And prolly didn't lose too much dignity in the process either.  lol

Nice job, Jim!
    post edited by Janet - 2011/01/28 19:41:41
    rockinrobby
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 19:40:02 (permalink)
    "And prolly didn't lose too much dignity in the process either." You obviously didn't watch that youtube video... :-(

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 19:41:17 (permalink)
    Nope, and I prolly don't want to.  lol

Anyway, just read your mixing notes, Jim. That's brilliant.  I'm happy that I could understand more than half of it.  lol.  If I had all those plugs I'd maybe get more of it. Anyway, I learned a few things too.  Thanks. 
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 20:58:33 (permalink)
    Sounds great. The rhythm guitars are like silk. Pretty pictures too! LOL

String Jammer
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/28 21:18:06 (permalink)
    sounds pretty good.... I'll have to listen later on some different cans..... I'm on some older buds right now....

the drums sounds compressed way too much.

This sounds like a different version.... but again it's been a year+ since the original was recorded...

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    theguitarplayer
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3523
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 03:05:18 (permalink)
    I personally liked the original one, I guess because Robby did it, but not to say anything bad against this version either. This version is very well done also but different and very well done. The original was awesome and so is this version as well. Nice job on the mix and as always Robbies vocals always makes the song sound perfect. Great job guys! John

Sonar X3 Studio, Acid Pro 7, Sound Forge Pro 9, Sonicfire Pro 5, Kinetic 2, Cinescore, HP Pavilion dv7, CORE i7, Q-740, 8gb Ram, Windows 7- 64 bit, 4 tb mem , Audiobox USB, Digitech GNX4, Gibson SG1 & SG3, Martin J65M, Washburn Custom Cumberland, 3 Marshall Amps, Casio 365 Keyboard, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32,  Behringer Truth Monitors, Garritan Aria, EWQLCC, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, Melodyne 

http://www.soundclick.com/JohnRKennedy
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 10:14:31 (permalink)
    James Yoyo, I read your pdf-notes (filled with lush Sonar and Ozone pictures) and really must formally thank you for sympathizing and taking the time to get into this excellent song, excellent performances, excellent vox work, etc.

I ponder why you used Addictive drums for cymbals ... and I now suppose that may be because SD might not have a cymbals mic / output ... in the Avatar category.  I appreciate why you grouped the kick and snare in this genre ... EQ / compression adjustments could be made without multitracking it.

Your arrangement notes are particularly inspiring.  Thanks for adding your bass-line and guitar.  I'll be following some suggestions (subtle breaks before chorus)

But, to me, IIRC, the lead element is/was the lead vox samples (Robby) ... as this is lyrically robust ... message-centric hook (country genre).  Albeit, the groove does co-dominate as the words blend into the gentle pomp.

Your rolloff of the bking vocs at 230 is a Yoyo signature, IIRC. 

Your frugal EQ economy plus compression (and saturation) seems a great pearl ...that gives full weight to the vocs / groove interplay ... forcing out the useless noise and harmonic distortion ... in your non-messy lows.

I notice you use auto-gain compensation with the MBC module (Master).  I myself would have saved the gain for the maximizer module.  But your method doubtless leads to much more precise maximizations without full EQ spectrum squashings and clashings.

Indeed, you didn't hit the volume maximizer too hard ... yet the mix is pleasantly loud and clear.

On the Master:

Miniscule negative ponderings ...

I also observed you raised the input gain (?), applied mastering reverb (?), and added yet more harmonic saturation to the master.  Also, I would have not used Ozone's stereo-widener for this mix ... as I get a detectible hiss on the sides of my mixes.  But these ponderings are personal only ... and have no bearing on this mix ... as I'm sure your ears validated them.

In Sum:

This to my ears is top shelf in every category: 10/10.  Robby, I'd hope you consider yourself most blessed to have this much loving care applied to your excellent song.
    post edited by Philip - 2011/01/29 10:16:29

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 10:21:21 (permalink)
     Awesome tune and great sounding production, love those vocals and harmonies, great job on all instruments played.

Me

SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 10:41:58 (permalink)

James, Robby

This is just stunning gentlemen - you two guys are at the very top of your respective games

James, I read through your production notes, that's a facinating insight into the how and what and why of mixing a project like this - good to see the POD Farm 2 plug-in getting a lot of use too!

You guys should seriously consider making this a permanent partnership

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 11:33:45 (permalink)

I listen on a laptop.
    Wow, this tune sure has some legs. Nice clean mix and performances James. To tell the truth, maybe almost too clean. I went searching for Robby's mix for comparison but couldn't find it. Anyway, your mix has almost a Steely Dan tightness to it. I'd like to hear a more open mix myself with some more something around the edges.  That's just really nitpicking. The drums are wonderful. 
    The PDF was great read. Thanks for that. I noticed in the track sheet "JV bass". LOL, I thought i was looking at one of my tunes. is that for the JV1080. No mention of it.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 12:08:31 (permalink)
    very very nice.  arrangement and mixing are just excellent.  vox are top notch as always.

really good stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 13:14:16 (permalink)
    Dave:
    You didn't like the drums? You clearly have no taste!
    Seriously, I can understand the uneasiness due to the dramatic departure from the original beat/tempo. I originally had a much straighter beat, but Robbie liked the shuffle more, so that's what we went with.

Phil my fellow Islander:
    Thanks, for all his warts (and mine!), Robbie was a great sport about the open-heart surgery I performed on his tune.

Janet:
    Would have loved to keep the sax, but it was just too darn hot of a recording to get it in there; all the character of the tone was just demolished. And you can NEVER have too many plug ins!

Scotty:
    Glad you appreciated the fine photography I did!

Herb:
    Would be interested to hear what you thought over a good pair of speakers. Especially since I couldn't disagree more about the comp level of the drums. Perhaps it is the sound of them? Sure, I can always quibble with a kit selection. And the only difference in this version is the tempo, arrangement and bass. Everything else was RR's original recordings.

GP:
    Thanks for listening and commenting.

Philip:
    I got SD about three or four months ago, and have yet to figure out how to use their cymbals without getting a ton of phasing on the crash.  It is awful no matter what kit/set I use. Sounds like LZ's Kashmir. Anyone out there have some insight on Superior Drummer who can lend a hand?
    Raised the input gain? No way. I lowered it both at the bus -7.0 and in Ozone itself -2.4.
    I like the stereo widener on Ozone...it wasn't a whole lot, but the spectrograph without is all don the middle. I also like a little sizzle on the edges; gives the song some energy.And the Exciter was barely utilized.

Grant:
    Thanks. Now, onto Spockpit!

SSUK:
    The only permanent partnership I got is with my wife, and that is more than enough!

Tim:
    Steely Dan? That might be the nicest backhanded compliment I ever got! I probably went overboard in cleaning things up from the previous version. And I didn't see a JV Bass anywhere on the tracks...it was a LV1 vocal track you misread? I used my cheapo Squire Jazz Bass for this one.

Reece:

Thanks, man.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 13:31:48 (permalink)
    Really liked this mix, and the openess of the field. Picked up a little sibilance on the choruses on the "s's". Wasn't to the point of fatigue, but I'm wondering if anyone else hears it too.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 15:14:57 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 15:34:13 (permalink)
    Mix & song + + + + 1 ---- like the original tempo better      

kick needs lower EQ thump

?--- are those piano samples ???     ---- if not who is playing the piano +1

post edited by BIABDude - 2011/01/29 15:39:22
    rockinrobby
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 17:45:02 (permalink)
    That's me tickling the ivories BIAB :-) Thanks 

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 17:49:23 (permalink)
    Nice job, James.  I'm gonna have to go back and listen to the original mix.  I think I know this Robby dude.  :-) 

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    rockinrobby
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 17:56:35 (permalink)
    "Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton)"

I saw the new Narnia this afternoon with my son? (Daddy visit) they had a really cool dragon in it that fights a really cool sea monster at the end! I really enjoyed it, and so did my son.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 21:29:00 (permalink)
    OK ...I listened again, this time on my Yamaha headphones..... nice mix.... the drums sound compressed but not too badly.  The snare is the one that is most evident in displaying it.... but I like it.

I listened about 5 times, while I was reading the notes and examining the screen shots.

You sure put a lot of tender loving care into this tune and it shows in the results.

I applaud what you did... discarding the numerous tracks that were distractions or worse.  I am a firm believer in less is more and throw out something if it doesn't work...even if you spent several days working on it. I also say kudo's to enveloping out completely certain instruments in parts of the song.... loosing the drums in the last verse (?) ...excellent decision. 

Using the less is more theory really worked on this.... no wonder I made the comment that I didn't recognize this version..... adding the acoustic solo and slowing the drums to half speed, eliminating all the other crap tracks ( no disrespect intended there Robby...) really went a long ways toward cleaning this up nicely.

I am guilty of creating lots of "crap-tracks" on my music too. I have gotten into the habit of listening for several days to see what really works and what doesn't and it doesn't bother me a bit to highlight and delete a track that isn't working. My latest tune has about 14 tracks and only 6 are active.

Good job.

I think Robby owes you a beer for the job you did on this.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/01/29 22:22:35

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bub
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7196
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 22:09:00 (permalink)
    I didn't care for the song or the vocals, but from a technical standpoint it was very good. The drums sounded too loud at the beginning on my Sony headphones. Haven't listened to it on my HS-80m's yet.

Excellent job James.

"I pulled the head off Elvis, filled Fred up to his pelvis, yaba daba do, the King is gone, and so are you."
    RockingChair
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 22:58:40 (permalink)
    I'm glad you like it Robby. I liked the first version better because it was honest. When you go to polishing and mixing things it loses it's honesty IMO.  I like this new re-mix, it's cool, but I like the original better. And I'm not being an old school fogy so to speak, I'm just speaking what's on my mind. Heck, it's easy to offer opinions, it so much harder to deliver on those thoughts. I'll leave it at that. Everything you do sounds great, so does James, but there's just too much polish there and not enough "It's ME" in the sounds. JMO.

I wanna hear the mistakes, I wanna hear the REAL playing from the REAL PERSON, I don't want it perfect! If reality was perfect we'd all be GONE by now!

I enjoyed the listen, but those are my stupid thoughts. Keep on Rockin' Robby!!!!!!!! and keep on Jammin' JAMES!!!! You guys are both better than me, so who the heck am I to give an opinion either way.

I enjoyed the listen!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Bobby

ruralrocker2010
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 616
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/29 23:03:45 (permalink)
    I really thought this was quite good. I'd be proud of it!

Joshua Barnes
    Sonar Platinum / RME UCX / i5 3.2 8 GB Memory (Dell Inspiron) / Komplete 10 / Win 7 Home 64 Bit
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/30 02:59:35 (permalink)
    Hey, James and Robby,

This is absolutely fantastic!  I remember how much I enjoyed hearing all the different versions back in 2009, and this is a very pro sounding mix, uncluttered, very clean and crisp sounding.  I applaud James for the well detailed mix notes to dig deeper into how the YoYo Factory manufactures such nice production work.  I always find it interesting to see how different people use the same tools and plugins in many different ways during the mixing process.

Robby's performances, and as always, his great vocals and harmonies, really shine through on this.

Excellent job by both of you!
    Bob
    rockinrobby
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/30 03:12:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Bob :-) James is the ****ing man...

whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/30 10:36:32 (permalink)
    Wouldnt expect anything but excellence when a song has the yoyo stamp of approval.

As usual, the mix and production are very pro.

I'll admit though like David, I didn't dig the drums, not the sound a such,that bass kick is sucking the groove a little out of it IMO,like its off time slightly...I havnt heard the original,but drums do certainly suit this song.

Don't matter too much anyway, cos its a perfectly written song!

Robby,vocals are beautiful man.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Robby's "Missing Person": re-mixed and re-imagined by your friends at Factory Yoyo 2011/01/30 12:28:14 (permalink)
    Well done James... I know a lot work went into this... really enjoyed the notes too... great job with the vocals and drums...
    love the sound of the kick and snare... I'd really like to hear the bass guitar a bit more, and the acoustic solo seemed a little weak to me... I think I'd replace that with an electric solo or enhance it with a second acoustic playing in counterpoint...
    Robby never sounded better except maybe on my version...
    Very impressive guys...
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1