Roland GR-20 string bend question!

Author
BreezyJamz
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 112
2006/01/03 18:22:44 (permalink)

Roland GR-20 string bend question!

I just got this thing a few days ago to use with Sonar. When I play with the GR-20's internal sounds it does string bends and whammy dives great. I can't seem to figure out how to do the same with my software synths though. Anyone know how?
Thanks, Breezy.

7 Replies Related Threads

bc100
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/03 20:01:20 (permalink)
    Breezy,

After reading your note I just had to try it. Like you I just recently purchased the GR-20. I have a GK-3 pickup on my Gibson SG and a GK-3B on my Fender Precision bass. Primarily I got the GR-20 for sequencing into Sonar which I think may need some adjustments because the notes that are recorded can be more that I expected so when I play the MIDI track back through the GR-20 it doesn't sound very good.
    Anyway I tried various Soft Synths and though my testing was not completely thorough, I found that the TTS-1 on preset voices like piano, guitar and synths did recognized the string bends I played through the GR-20 when the GR-20 setup in mono mode. Although the Pentagon I soft synth did not seem to play the bends it did sound pretty good.

Jeff
    Platano
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/03 23:03:07 (permalink)
    Yo Breezy! I also have a GR-20 since about May of 2005, but I've only recently started to use it on some tracks. My next step will be to utilize it with some of the software synths. What I did learn is that depending on the sample (just those on the GR-20), some of them are of instruments that don't have any bending capability anyway (e.g., pianos and such). I would think the soft synths however would be susceptible to bending unless they're sample based sounds (?). I'll definitely follow your thread to see what others have to say.

So far the only stuff I've done (up on my soundclick site) is using the vocal samples on The Voices Again, and a sax sample on A Day in November (which I'll probably rework with a real sax player). I feel like I haven't really made a serious dent in the learning curve with either the GR-20 or the software synths, but it keeps me motivated (salivating like a St. Bernard...). Maybe 2006 will be a breakthrough year for that.

Joe
    BreezyJamz
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/03 23:32:13 (permalink)

I would think the soft synths however would be susceptible to bending unless they're sample based sounds (?). I'll definitely follow your thread to see what others have to say.

I'm hoping that it will bud, I have steel guitar soundfonts and a couple of good bass synths and other things that really need the bends and slides. I'm sure we'll find the way, just.......gotta.........hold......on........a.....little.....loooooooongerrrrrrrr!
    axissport
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/04 01:02:14 (permalink)
    The pitch bend range on the guitar synth and software synth need to be set to the same amount.So if your guitar synth is set to a pitch bend range of 12(octave) set the soft synth to 12(octave) also.
    BreezyJamz
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/04 02:22:36 (permalink)
    Thanks, it's 24. That works too. I found the setting in Absynth 3 and it worked. I haven't found the settings for it yet in Emulator X though. I brought it up and loaded a patch and I guess, because of the new year, I had to search the basement for the cd to reactivate it. Then it gave me some trouble and puked so I restarted everything and went to load Mo Phat in it and IT wanted the cd for reactivation then IT puked. So I went back to Absynth and IT still works............... anyway I've had it for tonight, Thanks guys!!!
    ...tóbal
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 279
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/04 14:22:07 (permalink)
    I own a GR-33, a similar unit. The GR-33 can send its Bend Range setting upon patch change, using RPN messages. This feature can be globally switched off. If the soft synth supports the message, nothing needs to be done if the feature is switched on in the GR-33.

The GR-20 is a newer unit, it should have that capability.
    BreezyJamz
    RE: Roland GR-20 string bend question! 2006/01/06 10:19:23 (permalink)
    Ok, I had it working. Yesterday it didn't. Does today.
    Here's the deal, I thought the controller on the GR-20 had to be set on channel 1...mistaken!
    I started changing channels and trying the bends and it worked on channel 11. If I want to strum I go to 10, bend...back to 11.

Also, on the softsynth make sure you set bent range up to +24 but ALSO if it has a down range, set it to -24 then try a glass slide on it. COOL STUFF!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1