Roland GrooveSynth not working...

Author
Jeff Irok
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 48
2007/06/20 20:49:40 (permalink)

Roland GrooveSynth not working...

Hi -

I have Sonar PE 6.2.1 running Vista on a Dual Core 2.13GB PC. I have over 200 GB of HD space and have 2 GB of RAM.

I've been running Sonar for a couple months now, with seemingly no problems. The GrooveSynth worked ok when I first loaded Sonar. And all of the other softsynths still work ok. But now when I try to use the GrooveSynth, it starts to load, but then I get an error message stating, "Unable to Patch Roland GrooveSynth. The error reported was: An unknown error occurred during processing, possibly causing an invalid parameter. It is likely that this effect is incompatable with Sonar. Would you like to remove Roland GrooveSynth from all menus in the future?"

Of course, I answer that no...

Anyway, I've tried reloading it 3 times, restarting Windows, etc. The thing is THE GROOVESYNTH USED TO WORK FINE. So something "new" (i.e. loaded since the last time it worked) must be interfering with it. However, I haven't installed anything since installing Sonar.

There is one more....fact...that I should divulge. Not realizing that the GrooveSynth was the "updated" version of the Sound Canvas (which I got with Sonar 1), I tried a few times to load the Sound Canvas, albeit unsuccessfuly. After I found that the GrooveSynth was the the Sound Canvas' replacement, I decided to stop trying. That was a few weeks ago. I doubt that I tried to use the GrooveSynth since then, so for all I know, the Sound Canvas load may be what knocked the GrooveSynth out.

Of course, I've uninstalled whatever would go with the Sonar 1 uninstall function, and once again tried to reinstall the GrooveSynth, but it still doesn't work.

I know this one is out in left field, but would anyone know if, somehow, the Sound Canvas could have left something behind, maybe in the Windows or Windows\System folder that could be interfering with the GrooveSynth? I can't fiund anything, but there MUST be something...

Thanks,
Jeff

22 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/06/21 01:54:01 (permalink)
    What sample rate is your project..???
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jeff Irok
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/06/21 19:59:21 (permalink)
    Lessee...Right now, it's set to 44100.

Another interesting development - I loaded a previous project where I had used the GrooveSynth (successfully, of course). As it loads, I get a message saying that the plug-in is missing or improperly installed. After I click "OK", the project loads up, and I can actually pull up the GrooveSynth from the track it's assigned to. But it doesn't play any sound.
    dougsyo
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/06/21 21:28:22 (permalink)
    *grumble* something at the server end trashed my attempted response, I'll enter it again.

On the Start menu click Run... and enter cmd - this opens a "DOS prompt".

Type in dir "C:\program files\cakewalk\shared dxi\p5antom"
    You should get back two files - p5antom.dll (about 4.4MB - the DXI) and p5antom-1-param.dat (about 83MB - sample data).

If these are ok, go to the next step:

Type in regsvr32 "C:\program files\cakewalk\shared dxi\p5antom\p5antom.dll"

You should get back a dialog box that says "DllRegisterServer .... p5antom.dll succeeded" - that will mean the DXI has been (re)registered with Windows.

You can also check out what Sonar Plugin Manager, AnalogX DXmanager or BlueCat DXI manager say about the plugin.

Doug

Logic is a pretty flower that smells bad.
    For a good time click http://www.belindabedekovic.com/video_fl_en.htm
    Jeff Irok
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/06/23 10:27:15 (permalink)
    Hi Doug -

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, it didn't fix it. I followed your instructions and successfully reregistered the plugin, but it still didn't work when I attempted to use it.

Also also checked it out with the Sonar Plugin Manager. It didn't tell me much (maybe I don't know how to use it well), and then I downloaded the Analog X DX Manager for a "second opinion". It, too, didn't say much. The plugin appeared to be functioning normally.

The problem looks like it occurs when it's loading the sample data. I can't imagine why it would continually bomb though, even after several re-installs...
    dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/03 18:27:26 (permalink)
    i have had the same problem with groove synth not loading error message says missing file and tells me this file may not have loaded.

I spoke to cake and they say they have not come across this problem before.

has anyone else come across this problem before inVista.

ps when Patchmix has not loaded (emu0404) it turns up!!! but no sound
    Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/10 11:08:42 (permalink)

OMG!! what a joke.. There were at least TEN cases where guys reported about this in the Sonar forum..so none of them contacted TS?

I hate to say cake's TS guys REALLY disappoint time after time They should also keep a log of problems and fixed..what are they "afraid" of ..
    post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/07/10 11:14:54
    flimflamm
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/13 00:12:24 (permalink)
    I am having the same problem with the Roland Groovesynth plug-in. When I initially installed Power Studio 5 I was able to import and successfully use the plug-in many times. I created a couple projects and reloaded them many times each. Then one day they just stopped working. I get the same "missing and/or improperly installed plug-in" error message, the project loads but I hear nothing related to the plug-ins of course. I've reinstalled Power Studio at least 3 times now. I also contacted Cakewalk tech support and the guy emailed me these instructions below to help solve the problem, but it has not. Please help me make enough noise about this so I can get back to making music.

Here's what the tech support guy sent to me:

a) Completely un-install SONAR from your computer. This is normally done from Start | Programs | Cakewalk. This will not remove any of your files or audio data.

b) Make sure nothing else is running while reinstalling SONAR in step 'e'. In Win XP, choose Start | Run and type MSCONFIG. Click OK, then click on the Startup tab at the upper right of the window that opens. Uncheck all items listed, click OK, then restart your computer. You can always recheck those items again at a later time.

c) Click the Windows Start button and select Run. At the prompt type REGEDIT and click OK.
    Backup your Registry before making edits - you do this by clicking the File menu, then Export. Make sure "all" is selected under "Export Range." Give the file a name and click Export.
    Now delete the following Registry keys
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Cakewalk Music Software

Please note that this will remove any effects presets and key bindings you may have made in Cakewalk. You can back up those registry keys separately if you like.

d) Delete the files AUD.INI and TTSSEQ.INI from the SONAR program folder.

e) Restart your computer, then reinstall SONAR along with all of its updates.

This should eliminate any software irregularities that are causing your problem, but let us know if it does not.
    post edited by flimflamm - 2007/07/13 00:19:48
    Honest_Al
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/13 11:21:56 (permalink)
    Here's what the tech support guy sent to me:

LOL ..that STANDARD email.. it's the same thing they would email you for solving about any other thing.. of course they have the right to do so - tech support always start with trying to convince the user that something "is wrong" with his system..they need to make sure that Sonar was installed right (you know, some of their own patches could break these kind of things)
    ..only then (i mean after many emails) they might dig in further to check what's REALLY making the infamous groovesynth error (can't load the sounds)..
    you're not alone there and I was surprised to see they still "didn't hear about this" ..

As I said in older threads it works here but on another computer I have it doesn't..dunno where's exactly the problem (it's not related to the "samplerate must be 44.1Khz" problem..groovesynth wants 44.1 and we know that already)

Backup your Registry before making edits - you do this by clicking the File menu, then Export. Make sure "all" is selected under "Export Range."

that's BS

I'm surprised again...they suggest to have a full backup or the registry (just in case.. not that removing Cakewalk entries would really hurt anything in Windows!)
    ..and then they tell you to simply export everything to one big almost useless file (such an export is NOT a full registry backup).. in case of a disaster it wouldn't help anyway.

Honest_Al
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/13 11:32:35 (permalink)
    Some older links to read -

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=712412&mpage=1

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=836009&mpage=1

I'm sure there are more..couldn't find them.
    Clydewinder
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 941
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/13 11:48:14 (permalink)
    that has happened to me before but only after setting sample rate to 88.2 in project 5v2. as soon as i set sample rate back to 44.1 the groovesynth started working again.

The Poodle Chews It.

Honest_Al
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/13 12:13:48 (permalink)

Cakewalk should keep a log of everything reported here (and hopefull then also tested) ..then they won't say they have never came across this problem

oh..most important - put it on the site..give us a full list of the current bugs and what's going to get fixed! what are you afraid of? everyone see the problems on the forums anyway..you got nothing to lose by sharing the knowledge.
    keyofg
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/14 19:32:24 (permalink)
    I can't believe this. I've just joined this forum for the sole purpose of finding out why the heck my Roland GrooveSynth isn't working in Sonar 5 Producer any more, and the very question is right here. Obviously this is something Sonar needs to address. There's no need to repeat what flimflam has already stated. I did 1 "clean boot" reinstal and one without, and have the same problem. Looks like no one seems to have a solution. I do have a feeling it's something to do with a Windows driver or maybe Security Pack 2. So I guess it boils down to this: Does anyone have any idea at all how to get this thing to run?
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/14 19:54:42 (permalink)
    hey guys i sympathise.
    but surely there are better synths for you to use than groovesynth anyway? see it as an opportunity to expand!!! (but then i have hs6xl with dim le, sd2)
    just my two pennorth..

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Honest_Al
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/14 23:50:39 (permalink)
    Looks like no one seems to have a solution. I do have a feeling it's something to do with a Windows driver or maybe Security Pack 2. So I guess it boils down to this: Does anyone have any idea at all how to get this thing to run?

bad luck.. it's the one thing in Sonar (dll versions and/or registry stuff) I couldn't solve.. I mean it does work here but I've seen cases where it doesn't and I couldn't find why or any major differences in the OS..or anything that could explain when it does work and when it doesn't. No, it's not a "windows driver" or Service Pack 2 (I tested with SP2..it's just fine)

BTW SP2 isn't Security pack 2

I agree with mgh -it's time to consider using other synths.. i know, some are really after the specific sounds it offers ..someone mentioned the mc-303.

so..wanna nag tech support forever about this one? they MIGHT find the solution after a while..or enough calls and emails from different users.

dappa1
    Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2949
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/25 09:05:09 (permalink)
    If you have bought a product you expect it to work not a promo where you say if it soes not work Buy new. is this just a pschological game Sonar are using to grab an extra income and do it using guinea pigs in a forum. If I want Groovesynths and it says it has it on the tin then I expect it to be there!!!
    LionSound
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/07/25 23:41:22 (permalink)
    Did you guys by chance install P5 or another app that comes with GS after installing S6 and updating to 6.2.1? Maybe you have installed an older version somehow?

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    fif4lifefif
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/08/11 14:23:54 (permalink)
    Ah yes, very frustrating. I, too, have the same problem. I have two copies of S5PE installed on two DAWs: same problem on both!

And look, yes, there are better synths. But like Dappa1 said, I pay good money for Sonar and expect it to WORK.

It's especially frustrating when you're in the middle of a project for a client and you're using the GrooveSynth, and it just STOPS WORKING.

Check out my music! :]
    fif4lifefif
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/11/04 01:24:08 (permalink)
    Anybody solve this issue yet????

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/11/04 02:44:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Clydewinder

that has happened to me before but only after setting sample rate to 88.2 in project 5v2. as soon as i set sample rate back to 44.1 the groovesynth started working again.

Me too, along time ago. thats why i asked him what his rate was, but it was set to 44.1

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    fif4lifefif
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/11/22 15:10:19 (permalink)
    CAKEWALK... Get on this!!!!

fif4lifefif
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/11/29 16:32:21 (permalink)
    ...still driving me nuts.

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Roland GrooveSynth not working... 2007/11/29 16:37:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: fif4lifefif

...still driving me nuts.

And you still haven't contacted Tech Support?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1