Roland Groovesynth

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2017/09/21 22:47:47 (permalink)

Roland Groovesynth

I am looking to get a copy of Roland GrooveSynth.  Is there a way to purchase this synth separately?

15 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/22 00:42:50 (permalink)
    Cakewalk does not sell it separately. The DXi is bundled with Artist/Professional and Platinum.
    spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/22 01:12:29 (permalink)
    that is such a bummer.  I used it on a song a few years ago that we are starting to perform live; my keyboardist uses Fruity Loops, and I was able to get Rapture to work with it, so we're at least able to use that - but I was able to purchase Rapture and it was easy to get it installed.  I wonder if there is a way I can copy the files over to make it work?  We tried moving the .dll over and it said it was looking for "mfc100u.dll", but there are a zillion of those on my machine.  Oh well.

aidanodr
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 11:46:00 (permalink)
    Spindlebox 

I assume you dont have SONAR? 

So why not try the 30 day demo of Sonar? I wonder does Groovesynth DXI come with the demo? At least as a one off you could load the MIDI of that song into Sonar Demo and then use the GROOVEBOX DXI there. Then FREEZE the Groovebox track to a WAV .. load wav into appropriate track in FL? Obviously set the Sonar tempo to correct track speed.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Try-SONAR

spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:22:52 (permalink)
    No I guess you didn't read my 2nd post.  I have Sonar (and have been using Cakewalk since the early 90's) and Groove synth, but my keyboardist is using another system and program for live performance.  We would have liked to load GrooveSynth on her system but unfortunately it is not available as standalone.

aidanodr
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:32:14 (permalink)
    spindlebox
    No I guess you didn't read my 2nd post.  I have Sonar (and have been using Cakewalk since the early 90's) and Groove synth, but my keyboardist is using another system and program for live performance.  We would have liked to load GrooveSynth on her system but unfortunately it is not available as standalone.

I did read your 2nd post BUT I didnt see any mention of Sonar in that post you refer too.

But my idea still stands? So you have Sonar with GrooveSynth?

So load up that song into your Sonar with Groovesynth. Then FREEZE the groovesynth tracks so you end up with WAVs OR record out the tracks using Groovesynth to individual WAV files ( via export selected tracks )  Now you end up with LOOPs which you can import / add into your keyboardists software, the appropriate tracks .. you said they use Fruity Loops? 

OK the WAVs imported are sort of backing tracks BUT at least you have them for live.
    spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:39:08 (permalink)
    Well, yes, we have thought of that.  We were actually able to make a patch (sample) from my Sonar and she imported it as an SFX file into her player, so we're able to use it.  Fortunately, it's just a simple sound that doesn't arpeggiate - as the one we're using in Rapture does!  I love Rapture so much I bought it, and she has it installed on her system and now we're able to use it live.  (winning).  The only bad thing about this is that the note changes across the spectrum and with the note we sampled we are stuck with one, but it totally works well enough for live.  So it's slightly different, but it works.

Anyway, thank you for your advice and insight.  It would have been nice to have the synth itself on her system; there are a few on there she would have loved to play with, and it is a bit cumbersome to make patches, but it is what we will do if the need arises.

I did contact Roland (per Cakewalk support), and they do not make a standalone version of the synth unfortunately.  Seems a bit silly, and like it would be easy enough to do since it's software. ;)

aidanodr
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:43:52 (permalink)
    OK,

Could she use your system live? Is it a laptop? OR could you install your Sonar on a laptop for live and she installs FL on same? Then Groovesynth should be available in FL

I dont think that contravenes licensing as you can install Cakewalk on a few systems?

spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:47:59 (permalink)
    She could but she is used to using what she is using and it works VERY well.  We're not going to do that for 1 synth.  I don't think I can install Sonar on her system because that is against the User Agreement & License?  It is not my system or machine so it is against the agreement I believe.

Sonar isn't exactly the best thing to use for live.  I know of some doing it, but it does not run very efficiently and starts bogging down if you don't have like a SUPER-MACHINE and aren't doing too much.  I actually use Reaper more because of that exact reason.

aidanodr
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 13:53:28 (permalink)
    Ok :D

Well you could buy her / or she buys a copy of Sonar Artist for $99 outright or $9.99pm ( out of gig cash :D ) .. And she gets Groovesynth BUT also a cr*p load more VSTs / Plugins that she could also use in Fruityloops / Reaper .. and also can get the hang of Sonar :D

@$9.99 per month .. after a year stop paying and she owns for ever

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions#start

Including Rapture Session  ( Rapture Pro you bought cost more than Sonar Artist @$149?? )

Just another angle :D .. 

spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 14:09:56 (permalink)
    That's a lot of cash for one mediocre synth, if it was Rapture, I would say YES!!!  But GrooveSynth ain't all that.  LOL.  Even the other VST's that come with Sonar aren't that great IMO.  They're allright, but I have standalone ones that I bought, and much better VST's I've purchased elsewhere (i.e., Slate Bundle)

Again, this is just a live performance rig.  It's all good. Thanks for your help.  

aidanodr
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 14:11:01 (permalink)
    HOWEVER - https://support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=251

I think that might be why GROOVESYNTH is not showing up in her Fruity Loops? After FL11 fruity Loops doesnt support DXi plugins
    spindlebox
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 14:12:27 (permalink)
    It might be.  But her Fruity Loops is GOD for live performance, and she's SO intimately familiar with it.  No time to learn new systems.  We're golden.  She upgraded and it actually has some enhancements for live performance that it isn't worth rolling back.

aidanodr
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 14:16:11 (permalink)
    spindlebox
    It might be.  But her Fruity Loops is GOD for live performance, and she's SO intimately familiar with it.  No time to learn new systems.  We're golden.

Yip .. well it looks like if her version of FL is greater than 10 then IT WONT see any DXis inc Roland Groovesynth ( even if you could buy it separate .. would have to be converted to a VSTi version by Roland ) .. so it looks like the only route is back to earlier and the use of samples :D

And re price .. I would argue with you that $9.99 a month for 1 year to own Cakewalk plus a load of other useful plugins for other software .. is a lot of cash :D  .. But i know, you dont need it .. yet :D

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 14:39:08 (permalink)
    If the host does not have DX support the options are limited. There is a free dx-to-vst wrapper that has been around for some time. Read about it here. IIRC, it is 32bit so will work 32bit DX plug-ins only. It would work better in 32bit VST hosts but may work in 64bit hosts using a bridge.

The best solution is look for an alternate VST synth.
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: Roland Groovesynth 2017/09/25 18:36:39 (permalink)
    If you are looking for a VST ROMpler synth, a good alternative might be the AIR Xpand!2 synth.

"Air Music Technology originally created Xpand! as part of the Creative Collection of instrument plug-ins included as part of Avid™ Pro Tools™. With the release of Pro Tools 8, this widely popular workstation was given new controls, improved features, an additional Gigabyte of sounds, and a new name: Xpand!2. As the popularity of Pro Tools grew, more and more musicians and producers came to rely on the incredible sonic firepower of this amazing workstation. Xpand!2 continued to evolve, and demand grew. Finally, Xpand!2 is now available on its own, available to anyone who hungers for the finest sounds instantly."

It has a good collection of realistic sounds with 2500+ presets and parts, and is 4 part multitimbral, so you can create quick layers and combis.  I'm sure that you could find a much better sounding patch in here to replace your Groovesynth parts with!

It is listing for $69 now at most online retailers, but occasionally goes on sale for less.

Here is a link to one source, and a trial version is available:  http://www.pluginboutique...nstrument/1560-Xpand-2

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1