Room Accoustic Correction Systems

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/12/08 19:30:53 (permalink)

Room Accoustic Correction Systems

Hi all

I am about to buy a set of the Mackie MR8s or a set of KRK Rokit RP8 G2 Monitors I havent decided what ones yet.

I have no way of doing any accoustic treatment to my small room I am working in so I have heard that useing room correction equipment might be the way to go ?

I have no Idea what to be loking at so though some of you could point me in the right direction ?

Thanks for all help and advice in advance :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

24 Replies Related Threads

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/08 21:05:19 (permalink)

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/08 21:19:46 (permalink)
    Follow gustabo's link and you'll see that the subject has been kicked around before, perhaps to death.

I can save you some reading time and summarize:

1. Room correction is a partial fix and best applied AFTER acoustical treatment as the finishing touch.

2. If you can only do one or the other, acoustical treatment is the bigger bang for the buck.

3. Room correction is not snake oil, but it is also NOT a substitute for acoustical treatment.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 11:17:29 (permalink)
    3. Room correction is not snake oil, but it is also NOT a substitute for acoustical treatment.

Quoted, because it's true and should be said again.

Norrie, what sort of problems are you having in your room? (besides it being small) If you don't know what problems you're having, then you can't know the best approach to solving them.

A free room analysis program (not "correction" just analysis) is Room EQ wizard. It's a bit fiddly to get going, but it can tell you all sorts of interesting stuff about the acoustics of your room.  Once you have that info, you can think about what to do with it.

Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 12:41:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replys.

Tarsier......

To begin with the problem being for my room is that it has no accoustic treatment in it at all! So I will not have a true sound

Everything is sounding so different when taken and played on a hifi or car sterio etc.....

I am unable to treat the room because its not mine and I will be moveing to a different location in  around 6 months time

Once I then move to the new location I can then put as much accoustic treatment in as I like then use a plug like the ARC to fine tune the room once I have finished treating it.

Untill then I was hopeing to find something like the ARC plugin or the KRK Ergo also I have seen the JBl MSC1   http://www.jblpro.com/MSC1/MSC1_Overview.html

I have heard good things about the ARC and the KRK Ergo but I havnet heard any one say anything about the JBL MSC1 although it is half the price of the KRK Ergo Its also not a plug in and I like that fact.

I know none of the above will give me anywhere neer as good a result as a full accoustic treatment but as I said above untill I get my new place I cant do anything about that ;(

I am trying to make the most of a bad situation

Thanks to all for any info on any of the systems

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 13:15:05 (permalink)
    but I havnet heard any one say anything about the JBL MSC1

Ah, well let me say something good about the JBL system.  I heard it at the AES convention and it impressed me. They had their speakers set up in a pretty boomy conference room and their correction system did a very good job of improving the sound there.

FWIW, I'll be setting up a small project studio in a few months and I'm planning on going with a JBL speaker setup with their dsp correction solution. Along with acoustic treatment of course.

But you still haven't said much about what in your room is bothering you. You did say "things sound different" in other places. Yes, things sound different everywhere.  But what sounds different? more boom? not enough ambience? too brittle? The room correction packages can make adjustments to some things but not others.  So unless you can narrow down your problems, you'll just be spending money blind.  Unless you can get a money back guarantee, which is entirely possible.  In that case, pick up whatever system you want and try it out.  If you love it, great. If not, send it back.
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 13:29:40 (permalink)
    I've got the JBL MSC1 and have been running it for about 6 months now.  But I've yet to run the room mode correction routines.  I'm sure I will before I mix and master my latest noodlins but just looking at the instructions gives me the willys.  I was hoping (I'm a dreamy sort, ya know) that it would just be hook up the little mic thingy...click on start...click on finished...turn the dang thing on.  Nope.  You actually have to DO STUFF and unplug and replug CABLES and such.  And it takes TIME!!  I am looking forward to actually doing it tho.  Optimist that I am.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 13:45:30 (permalink)
    just read thru the original thread... 

seems that most of the folks that actually own and use the arc system, really like it, and believe it has helped their mixes. 

and everyone else who doesn't own it, but voiced an opinion on it, had lots and lots of practical questions about it, but since they've never used it, don't offer any actual field usage information to the discussion. in other words, only opinions.

interesting, to say the least. 

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 16:51:05 (permalink)
    Achieving true sound, IMHO, is not only treatment and correction. It also takes training your ears. When I was a touring monitor engineer, it didn't happen overnight, I learned, learned and learned until I was "top of my class". Of course having flat monitors, treatment and correction helps but most people don't know what "a good/flat mix" sounds like. Listening to commercially produced music similar to yours through your mons helps to train your ears.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 16:52:06 (permalink)
    Regarding ARC, I own, use and love it. It really has helped me with my mixes!

Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 18:44:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replys guys !

Yorolpal ! How are you finding the JBL Msc1 ? I am confused you said you have been runing it for 6 months but not yet done the room correction?
    Has it another use other than Room correction that I havent seen ?

I cant get the videos on there site to load propperly to have a good look.

If its as good as it says on the tin I will be going for it!
    Its half the price of the KRK ERGO so would be interesting to see how it stands agains that one.

Gustabo!
    How you doing man! You would be just the man for me to ask about the ARC system then !
    I am tempted to go with this only thing is its a plug in and I was hopeing to stay away from that.

You will be able to answer this for me then can you run it of of every buss runing to the monitors or do you have to send the bus outs to the master then just have one instance of ARC runing ?

Like I said I know this isnt the Idea solution and wont work wonders for a room wth no treatment but it has to be better than nothing ? And on the plus side I will stall have what ever I buy to use when I have the new place with full accoustic treatment!

THanks again for all the help so far guys!

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:00:14 (permalink)
    Why do you have multiple busses running to your monitors?

I run every bus to my master buss and my master buss to the speakers.

Anyways, I insert ARC as an FX it in my master buss fx bin, last thing the signal flows through before it hits my mons.

The cpu usage for ARC on my system is barely noticeable if at all!

Only thing you have to get used to is to remember to bypass or remove ARC from the master buss before you export your mix to a wav or mp3 to listen through other systems like hi-fi or car stereo.  The ARC plugin is for monitoring purposes, not for print.
    post edited by gustabo - 2010/12/09 19:01:32

Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:09:48 (permalink)
    Yeah I had noticed that in the other thread about always haveing to turn it off before bouncing down

Sometimes I like to have my drum buss Comeing out on its own and everything else out the master.

It really depends on what I am doing in the final stages.

Is that possible then to load 2 instances of the plugin ?

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:11:17 (permalink)
    Norrie

Yeah I had noticed that in the other thread about always haveing to turn it off before bouncing down

Sometimes I like to have my drum buss Comeing out on its own and everything else out the master.

It really depends on what I am doing in the final stages.

I am likeing the sound of the Arc more and more now I had just hoped not for a plug in.

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:13:53 (permalink)
    Norrie

Never had bothered to try but I don't see why not.

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:15:01 (permalink)
    Norrie

That makes no sense to me but to each their own!

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:17:02 (permalink)
    Norrie

I am likeing the sound of the Arc more and more now I had just hoped not for a plug in.

Why is that a problem? Just curious.

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:19:53 (permalink)
    BTW, on an unrelated/related note, I use foobar2000 as my all-purpose wav/mp3 player and it allows me to use ARC as a plugin in it so when I listen to music, it is running through ARC.

gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:24:14 (permalink)
    OK, just created 10 busses, sent them all to my mons, inserted ARC on all the busses and no problems and cpu barely registered.
    (Your mileage may vary)

Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:33:41 (permalink)
    Awesome man!

Thanks for checking that out for me !

With the bus out thing I guess its just a bad habbit I have fallen in to and one I should get out of I one day started leaveing my drum bus straight to the out put and it stayed with me from there and I have just mixed this way since ( prob not a good thing I know and I need to get out of it ) ;(

Thanks for checking that for me

The plugin things not a major problem its just the first one I have heard about in a plug in

DV247 Has an awesome deal on it at the momment Save 40% off with the Ik multimiedia Engineering tool kit ! Looks like an awesome deal to me it comes with C S R and T Racks 3 for only about £16 thats saveing about £300 :)
    http://www.dv247.com/comp...neering-toolkit--71878

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:44:56 (permalink)
    Another thing that I like is that it allows for multiple speaker profiles.

I have ARC'd my Alesis Monitor One's, my Prodipe Ribbon 8's and my cheap *ss computer speakers so I can select a different correction profile based on what I'm monitoring through.

I would rummage through the thread I directed you to and maybe try to contact a couple of people that bought ARC and see what their take is on it after months of using it. I DO NOT want you to purchase it because of me.

I have only been using it since July of this year.

Norrie
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:51:38 (permalink)
    That sounds like a plan from what I could see so far no one who has bought it has anything bad to say about it everyone sems to be very happy

I would be interested to hear about the JBL System aswell and see what thats like but I think finding some one who has used both the ARC and that will be a tricky one

I was in no rush to buy but with the deal on at Digital village I might get pushed to buying it sooner ;)

I will be buying the mackies first though I still dont have an exact date for moveing to the new place yet so I might even end up with a room kit first but eather way I will still be buying the ARC or the JBL I think the KRK is almost double the price and I havent heard a lot about it I think its quite new .......

Thanks again for all your help with this

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 19:58:26 (permalink)
    No problems

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/09 23:59:10 (permalink)
    ...everyone else who doesn't own it, but voiced an opinion on it, had lots and lots of practical questions about it, but since they've never used it, don't offer any actual field usage information to the discussion. in other words, only opinions.

If your doctor gave you advice for treating the clap, would you dismiss it because he's never been infected himself?

I don't have to try ARC to know that it can't compensate for resonant nulls. That's not an opinion, it's physics. That doesn't mean ARC can't address other acoustical problems, but it does mean that it can't address the most common problem in control rooms.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    gustabo
    Re:Room Accoustic Correction Systems 2010/12/10 08:37:37 (permalink)
    IMHO, coupled with proper treatment, I think it does a great job.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1