Room Treatments

Author
Chrisofer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 35
2008/10/29 10:33:37 (permalink)

Room Treatments

Well, I finally got Sonar, Reason, and all the other programs I have working correctly. So, now I am moving on to room treatments. I have read so many posts, articles, etc about this subject that my head is swimming. I have tried to find some 703 panels locally to no avail. I had one guy tell me that using 1.5" Duct Board (which is available locally If you know an HVAC guy) might do the trick ... The question is ... has anybody used duct board wrapped in something (i.e. Burlap) for room treatment?

Dell Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 640 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, Dual 19" Wide Screens, WD 500 GB "My Book"
Sonar 7.0.2, Reason 4.0.1
PreSonus FireStudio Project, M-Audio BX8a Monitors
Korg Triton PRO-X, M-Audio Keystation 88es

11 Replies Related Threads

lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 11:30:50 (permalink)
    I'd suggest you look on the Owens-Corning Web site. They have a dealer locater. I'd also suggest if, in your research, you haven't seen anyone ELSE using duct board, well... that says something.

703 & 705 work. Rockwool works. The new recycled cotton fiber materials work. Mattress pads from Walmart don't. Packing materials don't, but are really great if you want to burn your place down! Oh, so are egg crates!

Good luck!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 11:55:31 (permalink)
    yeah - Corey's right. I couldn't find a local dealer for 703/705 either, but I went to the OC website and emailed then asking if there was someone local I could buy it from and they emailed a location back to me. it took about a week for them to respond, but they did respond.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    gcurrie
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 12:03:19 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Chrisofer

Well, I finally got Sonar, Reason, and all the other programs I have working correctly. So, now I am moving on to room treatments. I have read so many posts, articles, etc about this subject that my head is swimming. I have tried to find some 703 panels locally to no avail. I had one guy tell me that using 1.5" Duct Board (which is available locally If you know an HVAC guy) might do the trick ... The question is ... has anybody used duct board wrapped in something (i.e. Burlap) for room treatment?

Assuming you have a typical smaller size room (typical home studio), your number one problem is out of control bass.

Your focus needs to be on bass trapping. This takes mass and size, no way around it. A 1.5 inch duct board isn't going to help here.

Once you get bass under control, you can then move on to reflections. But you may never need to deal with that if you are close-field monitoring.

-Gordon
    Win 10 Pro x64, i5, 16 GB, RME FireFace UFX, Sonar Platinum 

'Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.' - Leonardo da Vinci
    Stevie B
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 299
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 12:05:43 (permalink)
    Go to realtraps.com good stuff here and not real bad on price. All about how much you need to do.
    Blades
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3246
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 12:10:16 (permalink)
    I got some panels from ATSAcoustics. They were a reasonable price and they have helped the sound of my room a lot. I don't record a lot of open mic stuff, but when I do, I have my mic situated with it's back facing one of these panels several inches away. This really helps to tame the sound I get recorded. I have one corner trap and 4 wall panels in my 12' x 13' by 8' (dropped ceiling) room. I actually like the sound of my room now for the most part. The super picky might not, but I do.

The panels were a reasonable price at something like $275 or something for the whole bunch of them. they are also well made, look nice, come with mounting hardware (which is a little tricky, but no biggie), and I haven't had any issues with fibers coming out of them or anything like that.

HTH

Blades
    www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
    garrigus
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8599
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 12:25:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stevie B

Go to realtraps.com good stuff here and not real bad on price. All about how much you need to do.

If you decide to go with RealTraps, be sure to go through the DigiFreq Deals page because you can get 10% off all RealTraps products...

http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/deals.asp

Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 13:15:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Blades
    I got some panels from ATSAcoustics. They were a reasonable price and they have helped the sound of my room a lot. I don't record a lot of open mic stuff, but when I do, I have my mic situated with it's back facing one of these panels several inches away. This really helps to tame the sound I get recorded. I have one corner trap and 4 wall panels in my 12' x 13' by 8' (dropped ceiling) room. I actually like the sound of my room now for the most part. The super picky might not, but I do.
    The panels were a reasonable price at something like $275 or something for the whole bunch of them. they are also well made, look nice, come with mounting hardware (which is a little tricky, but no biggie), and I haven't had any issues with fibers coming out of them or anything like that.
    HTH

Thanks for the info, Blades.
    I went to the site, and just an FYI to everybody (and I'm not affiliated with them in any way, nor do I have any personal experience with them):
    Currently, they're having free shipping on their traps/absorbers.

I'm sold, personally, as their prices were excellent compared to others I've been researching recently, and free shipping counts on these bulky, heavy items, IMO.

Anybody have any recommendations other than realtraps for decent/good diffusors?
    They were frankly far too expensive for my budget (as were their traps, actually).

- zevo
    gcurrie
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 13:19:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: inmazevo

Anybody have any recommendations other than realtraps for decent/good diffusors?
    They were frankly far too expensive for my budget (as were their traps, actually).

- zevo

I've used GIK Acoustics. Good quality and very cost-effective. I really like their Tri-Trap which fits into a corner easily (as it's a triangle). www.gikacoustics.com
    post edited by gcurrie - 2008/10/29 13:24:04

-Gordon
    Win 10 Pro x64, i5, 16 GB, RME FireFace UFX, Sonar Platinum 

'Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art.' - Leonardo da Vinci
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 13:33:12 (permalink)
    There are other manufacturers that offer basically the same product as the 703 insulation. I couldn’t find the 703 available around here, but other brands were available from the commercial insulation distributors in town. Just checks the specs. You won’t find the proper stuff at Home Depot etc.

I ordered a bunch of Chameleon frames from Ready Acoustics and hunted around for some good fabric and built a bunch in one day. I also made large corner traps based on the “Super Chunk” design. Everything worked out fine and they look great. Buying the frames cost a little more, but eliminated all kinds of time and labour building quality wooden frames.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 14:59:07 (permalink)
    I have tried to find some 703 panels locally to no avail.

I got mine locally, but through an insulation contractor rather than a retailer. Even then, it wasn't something they'd normally stock but they just happened to have thirty sheets of 1" 703 left over from an installation in some Microsoft millionaire's home theater. But that tells me they could have easily ordered it for me if necessary, and I expect that any home-improvement store could, too.

Duct Board is normally used to line heating and air-conditioning ducts and plenums (plena?), to reduce the noise of moving air. It's not as dense as 703, and pounds-per-square-foot is the key number when it comes to bass traps. Duct Board would probably not work well at low frequencies, even though it might be just fine for higher frequencies such as those generated by the movement of air through a heater duct.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2008/10/29 15:08:19

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Chrisofer
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Room Treatments 2008/10/29 20:24:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies and GREAT information. I just ordered a case of 703 panels. Again, thanks ... You guys in the know are an invaluable resource for newbies like me!!!

Dell Quad Core 2.4 GHz, 640 GB HDD, 4 GB RAM, Dual 19" Wide Screens, WD 500 GB "My Book"
    Sonar 7.0.2, Reason 4.0.1
    PreSonus FireStudio Project, M-Audio BX8a Monitors
    Korg Triton PRO-X, M-Audio Keystation 88es
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1