Rough Draft - "Alexandria"

Author
variaxman
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 596
2006/12/02 08:59:02 (permalink)

Rough Draft - "Alexandria"

Hi...a friend wrote a pretty cool poem and asked me if I could put it to music....it's still in a pretty embryonic state but I was kinda looking for some feedback...I'm really not much of a singer but tried to do some backing vocals on this and wonder how they sound to fresh ears....I will be trimming it down a bit I think as well...pretty long now....annyyywayys here it is..all thoughts/critiques welcome!:

Alexandria - Streaming

Alexandria - Download

8 Replies Related Threads

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/02 10:02:44 (permalink)
    variaxman,

I think you have a good structure and feel here that fits the mood of the lyric. I think the backing vocals are complementary but could use a touch of treatment to push them back in the mix a little, to add some motion and space - maybe a very light flange/chorus and a bit of reverb or delay ? Great start, keep us posted.

Bill
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/02 10:08:47 (permalink)
    Hey Variaxman,
    I think for an embrionic stage this is excellent.
    It reminds me (particularly the backing vocals,which are perfect) of Bowie, especially the chorus.
    The vocal melody is the weak link here and needs building into something much stronger.
    Not sure if this is sung by you but the lead vocalist really needs to polish up to do this justice.
    I think there is the potential for a great track here.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/02 15:38:10 (permalink)
    Like opaque, I immediately thought of Ziggy-era Bowie, and the guitar licks supported that. This is hardly criticism, as I loved Bowie in those days. Nicely structured tune.

Not being a top notch singer myself, I wouldn't criticise the vocals. The song is in a good key for the singer. I mean, would I critique Tom Waits on his vocals?
    Mark
    post edited by mcourter - 2006/12/02 15:57:15

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/02 16:03:05 (permalink)
    Hi Variaxman,

OK - the good points; drums are great, guitars are really good. Lead guitar especially good, lovely tone and natural vibrato. Bass is spot-on, dead right for the track. Arrangement and structure is great, all points towards a good song.

Now the bad - I can either be honest or I can say the vocals are 'coming along' or 'need some work'; my honest opinion is if your voice this bad, you really shouldn't sing. Sorry, I know that sounds terrible, but a good song needs a good singer, and this really could be a good song.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/02 19:38:19 (permalink)
    ToneCarver - Interesting idea about the backing vocals...I am going to try that!I was kinda happy how the "ohhs" and "aahhs" came out...

opaque slogan - Yeah I was actually kinda making the lead vocal melody up as I read it from the paper...In my mind I already had the idea for the oohs and ahhs and actually tracked those before the lead vox....gonna take another stab at the lead vocals and see if I can get it a bit better or at least in key! I'm doing the one man band here so Im kinda stuck with my crappy vocals if I want any vocals at all...
    Thanks alot for the feedback..I really appreciate it!

mcourter - Bowie eh?Wow thats cool...I love that era of Bowie....Alladan Sane is probaly my fav album by him.Yeah the lead vocals are pretty weak right now...I probaly shoulda retracked em before I posted this....Ill try em again!Thanks for listening!

jamesg1213 - What?Are you saying i can't sing?......I really appreciate your honest feedback....like I said earlier..I was pretty happy with my oohs and ahhs and the lead vocal melody was pretty much being adlibbed as I went....I think I can do it better and will post what I come up with ....I am pretty new to singing, and really trying to get better at it....
    Thanks for the good words on the bass and guitars...I appreciate it!
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/03 05:25:46 (permalink)
    Hi again Variaxman,

I always feel bad about giving negative feedback so thanks for taking it well!

I have a terrible voice and just can't hold a tune, so I either travel 300 miles to record Tim's vocals or I do instrumentals

Here's a thought - what about a collaboration? There's plenty of good singers floating about this forum, I'm sure somebody could help. Getting a good vocal from scratch is a heck of a task to set yourself.

James

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    chasekh
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 874
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/03 07:04:06 (permalink)
    Hi Variaxman,nice song.Relaxed feel of tempo.Nice chords & rhythm.Since it is in its early stage I am sure you will develop into a beautiful song.
    R.Chandrasekhar

Q9450,DX38BT mobo,17"&15"lcd sony,8gb ram 1333MHz,(512Mb),828 mk ii audio,Win 7(64) home premium.SONAR 8.5.3 Producer
    Studio1000
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: Rough Draft - "Alexandria" 2006/12/03 09:01:20 (permalink)
    Variaxman - I didnt think the vocals were that bad. My only thought was I couldnt understand the words, although I just played two gigs in a row and my ears are probably toast. But anyway I think it sounds like older David Bowie stuff, and i think you would find an audience for your music, I remember listening to "Paris is Burning", and it was a really good track... I think you should keep singing. It's your sound. I am a vocalist and you can hear my stuff in this forum, and I'd be glad to sing it for you, but it wouldnt be your sound, so my opinion is sing your own stuff, Heck think of Lou Reed, i think his voice is not all that great, but when you hear him you know it's Lou Reed.
    What about for this song if you did a verse with the lower range and then for the second or third verse you sing up a whole octave and really give it some nads ! just an idea. Or if that wont work maybe think about singing it in a slightly higher key to give your voice little more power.
    I dont know what type of effects your putting on your lead vocals, but you have a unique voice, and that's what sells, somethng fresh and different. If you really want to hear what it would sound like with another vocalist, i'd be happy to cut a quick track for you, but my guess would be you'd want to sing it yourself.... Just some thoughts. If you want me to cut it, email me email here
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1