Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6

Author
Lachlan18
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2016/03/25 03:30:35 (permalink)

Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6

Earlier today I plugged in my Steinberg UR22 and Presonus 44VSL and I was able to run the two at the same time. Then I restarted the computer and now I can only use the UR22 by itself or 2 of the preamps on the 44VSL at a time.

I have tried changing the driver mode and the default recording device in the Windows settings.

Could someone please help me find what I did wrong?

12 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/25 04:59:53 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!
    If you use the most recommendable driver, ASIO (NOT ASIO4ALL, which is a WDM wrapper), you can only use one interface at a time.
    WDM driver allows using several interfaces, and I think ASIO4ALL does as well. Using several interfaces often leads to synchronising/clocking problems.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/26 08:35:49 (permalink)
    Yup... and .... IIRC, MC6 is only going to let you use 2 channels in an interface regardless of how many are actually in the interface.  It's built that way.  I do believe MC7 has been changed to allow you to use more than 2. That's how all the MC series have been up until MC7.

I need to read up on this, but someone told me ASIO 2.0 is out which allows multiple devices to share it. HOWEVER, if you are using 2 interfaces that are not "stackable" you will have clocking issues with the 2 interface clocks not being properly synced together and that can result in drifting between the two.

It's always best to use ONE interface for your recording and playback.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/26 22:09:08 (permalink)
    Welcome!

Just as the audio driver may be MME or ASIO, the ASIO audio driver may be built to one of two standards, V1 or V2.  The V1 standard only allows one audio interface at a time while the V2 standard allows multiple interfaces.  The trouble is few audio driver engineers bother to tell which standard they followed so you don't know how the audio driver works until you use it.

Music Creator 6 and 6 Touch are limited to two inputs while Music Creator 7 is limited to eight mono or four stereo inputs.  The online Music Creator documentation lists inputs in a chart comparing MC7 to Sonar.  A link is provided below.

You may notice in my signature I continue to use MC6.  That is because MC6 Touch and MC7 require Windows 7 or higher and my computer is still running XP Pro.

https://www.cakewalk.com/...p;help=Comparison.html

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/27 04:35:10 (permalink)
    You just can't help getting wiser here on the forum! I did not know of the ASIO V2.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Guitarhacker
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/27 10:05:23 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    You just can't help getting wiser here on the forum! I did not know of the ASIO V2.

Yup... I just heard about it too.... and supposedly, it's been out for a few years now.

BMI/NSAI

gcolbert
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1176
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/28 18:09:24 (permalink)
    I can't find anything about an ASIO V2 standard/protocol.  This may just be ASIO4ALL V2.3 or V2.9

Glen

Platinum / VS-100 / 12 GB RAM / Win 10 Pro / AMD A8 / MP Touch Monitors
    Platinum / on-board audio / 4 GB RAM /Win 10 Pro / HP dm4 Laptop / stuff
    THpfft!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/29 09:32:50 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to disagree on the statement that ASIO v2 allows for multiple devices.  as glen said above, ASIO4ALL allows for multiple devices, but not the ASIO standard.  

*ASIO4ALL is not a true ASIO protocol - it actually uses a soundcard device's WDM drivers and wraps them into an ASIO wrapper causing the host software to be able to use the ASIO internal calls, but the native uses on the computer are actually WDM.  WDM DOES allow for multiple devices.

*ASIO does not limit the number of devices under certain circumstances.  If a soundcard manufacturer creates hardware and software which are capable of running "as one device" under their ASIO compatible software drivers, then you can use more than one.  you cannot, however, mix and match soundcards under ASIO drivers (such as the 44VSL and the UR22).

for example:  MOTU creates ASIO drivers and hardware capable of being used together.  one thing that needs to be done when doing this is one of them needs to be a slave and the other a master.  several things play into this but the most important is the clock.  one of them has to use the clock signal from the other device, so there has to be a connection between the two using the same clock signal.  this could be through a PCIe, USB or Firewire bus or through an external cable connecting the two.  each card could use its own clock independently as a stand alone unit under ASIO, but if using both together, one of them has to relinquish it's clock signal and use the clock from the other device.

If, however, you connect a MOTU soundcard and a Presonus soundcard and try to select ASIO in Sonar (or any other host), you will be forced to select either the MOTU ASIO driver or the Presonus ASIO driver - not both and both soundcards will not operate under Sonar (or any other DAW) using ASIO.

you can select WDM and use both soundcards under this scenario.  However, as I mentioned above regarding the clocks when using ASIO - it is not possible to use the same hardware clock system in two cards which are not designed to be used as "one card."  so if you select WDM drivers for a MOTU and a Presonus, you will still have to select ONE of them to be the master clock - but since they are not hardware physically using the same clock - they will drift away from each other when recording.  small recordings might not ever matter.  but a 5 minute song might very well show you that the clocks are not sync'd when using an input from each and an output set from one of them.  longer recordings than that will absolutely show drift between the input channels.

ASIO standard is a consortium and held by Steinberg.  it is a paper and a standard to which manufacturers design their software (and can design their hardware in conjunction with).  the current version is 2.3.  Software can share ASIO drivers if the software is designed to do so.  Hardware (soundcards) can only share with other hardware if the hardware AND the software ASIO drivers from that manufacturer can support it.  different manufacturers of soundcards will NOT support multiple ASIO devices.
    post edited by Beagle - 2016/03/29 13:48:13

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/29 09:35:43 (permalink)
    you can find the ASIO 2.3 standard here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/developers.html

you have to download the developers' toolkit and then extract the zip file.  the standard pdf is included.

Guitarhacker
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/30 09:11:29 (permalink)
    I was under the impression that ASIO 2.0 was a newer version of ASIO1.0 that has multiple client support and that this was a true ASIO driver and not the A4A wrapper.

See this link:  http://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

I have not attempted to DL the ASIO 2.0 driver..... so I'm not speaking from first hand knowledge. Just from what I see on the page...   6th one down under ASIO Features.

BMI/NSAI

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/03/30 13:03:56 (permalink)
    ASIO 2 has been out for years. I would guess most vendors are using the ASIO 2 SDK as it offers 64bit support. There is still a "one driver at a time" host restriction. It is possible to aggregate devices, some manufacturers provide such a driver.

Beagle
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/04/04 16:34:58 (permalink)
    Herb - there's nothing to download for ASIO 2 unless you're talking about the SDK (which I referenced above) or ASIO4ALL.

the only reason I mentioned downloading the ASIO 2.3 SDK is so that if one is curious about reading the ASIO Specification they could find it in the SDK.

SDK is not necessary to be downloaded by anyone except developers (SDK stands for Software Development Kit).

there is now and always has been a "one driver at a time" restriction for the ASIO spec.

I'll show you a screen shot of what Sonar/MC does when it sees 2 ASIO drivers if you want, but bottom line is that you can only CHECK one of them.  if I have 2 devices connected to my PC which use ASIO drivers (which I often do with my MOTU and my yamaha keyboard) - sonar will only allow me to use one of them and the other is grayed out.

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Running multiple interfaces on Music Creator 6 2016/04/05 21:17:18 (permalink)
    Here is another link that may prove useful.

https://www.steinberg.net...opic.php?f=34&t=48

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1