Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio?

Author
sixgundrummer78
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/05/08 16:56:42 (permalink)

Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio?

Hello all , I posted a similar post in the Home Studio threads , but I wanted to post it here also. I have been running the old Music Creator i think its like 2003 or something..for awhile now. I have had pretty good results. I recorded my old bands demo using it and a couple of locals bands demo also. here is a sample www.myspace.com/sixgunsolution2. Now my question is should I upgrade to the newer version of MC or should I just go for HomeStudio ? I am used to the functions of MC, are HomeStudio any different. I download the trial version of Producer and the basic functions were similar to MC. I just dont want to have to learn a bunch of stuff over again. The reason I want something new is because the old MC seems alittle outdated and I have problems with it sometimes. Example( sometimes I will lay down a track and make it all the way through the song, only to find that the MC didnt record it,hahaha, sucks.

ps. I have been recording with a mixer, with a wire coming out of the mixers headphone jack going to the phone jack of my computer. does anyone recommend any good interfaces. I think i can get a better sound with one. what about M-audio products or Lexicon OMega usb?

9 Replies Related Threads

wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/08 18:23:57 (permalink)
    If the software no longer meets your needs, then yeah - it's time to upgrade. If the system has become unstable - that could be more than just the program itself - it could go fairly deep really.

I think most all of the Cakewalk family of products have a similar interface and functions - some do more than others. I think in the end you'll be right at home and the extra stuff to learn won't feel so daunting...not like it was the first time you booted MC anyway.

As far as an audio interface goes - what's the budget?
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/08 19:16:13 (permalink)
    Buy as much as you can afford, and then make much music!

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/08 19:23:24 (permalink)
    I lean toward Robos' philosophy, but I really like my toys.
    What are the specs on your base computer(CPU,RAM,etc)? The software can be demanding to varying degrees, and this could be a big factor.
    Since you have the mixer, I would be inclined to look at internal PCI cards, like the M-Audio 2496 or E-MU0404.
    The Lexicon Omega is a decent unit, but it is USB1, and you can't get much less than 10Ms latency from it.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Robomusic
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/08 19:26:21 (permalink)
    I feel HS is a far better deal if you can swing it, MC is nice but limited. I have found it a tad buggy personally.

M-Audio or Emu both are great. PCI = less hassles, USB good but not great.

Music Town
    sixgundrummer78
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/09 01:31:46 (permalink)
    thanks guys for all the help and reponses. as far as my specs robert , my computer says its got a 2.80 ghz intel celeron processor with 80 gb and 512 mb of ddr sdram. and i am running xp. hey i heard the m audio delta 44 can only send 2 seprate tracks instead of four to your hard drive at the same time. i also read that you need a seperate pre. what is a pre...i am only confused when I see that. my problem in a nutshell is , i have always used my eurorack mixer to mic all my drums , then I send the signal via the phone jack on the mixer to the phone jack on my computer recording all on one track of Music Creator. What I want is too be able to record my drums on at least four tracks at my time on different tracks on the music creator or other software. then I can go back and mess around with the sounds of each indivial track. the way that i do it now...all i get is everything on one track , so I cant really mess around or eq. I almost have to get a great sound on the mixer before I even record!!! now I cant spend alot of money...and I know that you get what you pay for ..but I would really like to find a good software like the Homestudio and a interface that will allow more fuctions. shoot I might even settle for two similtiously recording tracks...one for the bass drum and the other for the mixer with everything else(toms, snare , overhead). what do you guys think??????????
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/09 09:17:38 (permalink)
    You might want to think about a new PC, while you can still get XP; something with 2 HDs and at least 1 GB of RAM. The PC that you have will is a minimal setup for the current SONAR Home Studio and will struggle recoding multiple tracks. You might consider working with one of the DAW vendors such as ADK or Sonica to build a PC with the HW/SW that you need to do what you want.
    post edited by scook - 2007/05/09 09:18:09
    Robomusic
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/09 11:35:03 (permalink)
    Or just add a hard drive to the other IDE port and then up the ram to 1 gig. And yes the M-Audio or E-MU 0404 are stereo cards you can send two signals as mono to two tracks. For multiple tracks, get a Delta 1010 around $195 on the net. it will give 8 analog inputs, then later save up and get an 8 channel mackie mixer with inserts on each channel, you can patch the inserts into the delta and have a very nice 8 channel setup. The beauty is to buy a 16 channel board and add another delta down the road and have 16 tracks going in.

Music Town
    sixgundrummer78
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/09 12:46:41 (permalink)
    hey robo , do you think this mackie mixer would work -Mackie DFX 12 12x2 Mixer with Effects from musicainsfriend...or would I have to get something more expensive....so you just have to get some cords and put them into the inserts of each individual channel of the mixer and send them to the m-audio ?
    Robomusic
    RE: Running old MC, should I upgrade to new Music Creator or Home Studio? 2007/05/09 17:51:34 (permalink)
    That mixer would allow you to do 4 tracks, as it has 4 inserts. On most mackie boards the inserts if you plug the cables into the first click only will act as outputs only allowing you to connect directly to the sound card. If you want 4 track capability that will do it, couple that with a delta 44 card or two 24/94 cards and WaaLaa! If you plan to do more tracks at the same time, like tracking a band, a delta 1010 and a mackie board that has 8 inserts will do. Another option coupled with the delta 1010 is a Behringer ADA8000 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-ADA8000-Ultragain-Pro8-ADA-Converter?sku=182483 it will front a delta 1010 and make a decent setup for the money Of course at $249 plus the $195 for the delta, you asre getting very close to the price of some of the nice firewire interfaces, like the firepod, or many others.

Music Town
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1