[S4 PE] Recording ends up AHEAD of the rest

Author
hellogoodbye
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1343
2005/12/09 16:45:12 (permalink)

[S4 PE] Recording ends up AHEAD of the rest

I'm noticing something strange and unexpected in Sonar 4 PE. When I record a track (MIDI) together with the metronome or already recorded tracks and listen to it afterwards, the recording seems to be AHEAD of the metronome/rest of recording...! As if I pressed ALL notes a fraction too soon! I didn't expect something like this... It seems more logical that (due to latency) a recording would be too late. When I use the quantize function, a lot of notes end up to the left of where they should be on the piano roll. Now I'm no perfect player, but I'm not THAT bad...

What could cause this? And, more important, how can I prevent this? (I could of course slide all recorded notes a little further in time, but that suoldn't be necessary, should it...?)

2 Replies Related Threads

JavaMan
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: [S4 PE] Recording ends up AHEAD of the rest 2005/12/09 17:02:09 (permalink)
    Try adjusting the value of your quantize.

http://www.josephusmusic.com
    hellogoodbye
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1343
    RE: [S4 PE] Recording ends up AHEAD of the rest 2005/12/09 17:12:23 (permalink)
    LOL, yes, well, that's not the problem of course... ;) I only mentioned the quantize function to make clear that things aren't ending up where they should be (ahead in time). I do not want to quantize everything I record at all, so... When I play a live solo I want it to stay live, so no quantizing. But I DO want everything to be in sync with the song. Sliding everything in time is a possibility, but it shouldn't be necessary, so I want a REAL solution, to get rid of this problem totally.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1