S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers??

Author
chaplainbob
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
2006/11/28 20:19:04 (permalink)

S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers??

Just upgraded to S6PE and bought a new Spectral CB 1100 PC to use in studio...going for the best I could get?? The spectral is optimized for audio production, bought at Guitar center Dallas. When I loaded everything up, the only drivers I can get to work are the MME. The onboard sound card is SigmaTel. I've been back and forth dozens of times from control panel sounds to options/audio, driver setup, all I can get is the drivers not supported or in use by another program. I don't have anything running in the background. I would like to use the WDM drivers, as I've been doing before. I am interfacing with a Mackie 24/8 board, and going in through Presonus Firepods. Never had a problem before this. Any help would certainly be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance....Bob

9 Replies Related Threads

Honest_Al
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3642
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/28 21:01:59 (permalink)
    The onboard sound card is SigmaTel. I've been back and forth dozens of times from control panel sounds to options/audio, driver setup, all I can get is the drivers not supported or in use by another program. I don't have anything running in the background. I would like to use the WDM drivers

Hi Bob-

You mention the ONBOARD SigmaTel and then all the rest comes..hmm, sorry but it's really not clear if you're still talking about that Sigmatel from "control panel sounds to options/audio"
    and all the way to the driver setup , WDM and all that..

If you do talk about the Sigmatel setup the big question here is WHY do you even want to use it and WHY don't you disable it completely?
    Sonar will scan any active soundcard and many times it will have a bad effect on the rest of the cards and drivers that you have there..so i say- get rid of that sigmatel (disable it)

Then - the usual.. delete the aud.ini and let Sonar scan again the rest of the cards.
    chaplainbob
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/28 21:21:29 (permalink)
    Thanks, AL.....I didn't see the aud.ini in program files/cakewalk/sonar ??

In His service,
    Chaplain Bob
    chaplainbob
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/28 21:24:25 (permalink)
    ..Would it be the one that only says "aud configuration settings?? Thanks.

In His service,
    Chaplain Bob
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/28 21:37:11 (permalink)
    You know what? I think there is a bug with Sonar 6's Wave profiler. Check out this post. same thing happened to me and others and we are not newbies and have used Sonar before. At first I thought it was just my system but now that I see other users having the same "error", I suspect there is a bug in Sonar 6 with respect to this isssue.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    Honest_Al
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/28 23:21:35 (permalink)
    You know what? I think there is a bug with Sonar 6's Wave profiler. Check out this post. same thing happened to me and others

what's new..

rant starts here-
    It has been going on for years.. the wave profiler was always cr***y and that's one of the major reasons why to delete the aud.ini and let Sonar
    inspect all the drivers from scratch again..

The point is that nothing really changed much and Sonar has "its way" of doing things, i'm not complaining, mostly the users got it right by now -
    You need to select from the lists the drivers you want to use (Audio>Drivers) ..now, if Sonar wasn't restarted there's a good chance the lists there don't really reflect the right order/amount of available drivers on the system.. so then everyone learned that you need to restart Sonar after every change (it actually opens a screen that says so most of the time) and only at the next launch make the other changes or inspect if the audio engine works right/right I/O driver options appear..
    if not - everyone learned by now to delete the aud.ini and do all the above again..or just let Sonar run its wave profiler without any onboard cr***y "soundcard" with their cr***y drivers ... etc. etc. etc.
    True , maybe things could change at some point? a better way of detecting and setting how Sonar works with soundcards and their drivers?
    We've all seen Sonar's file "corrupted" in a way that drives you crazy..sample rates that suddenly don't work..the infamous "audio driver is not compatible with the audio format" - these days the users find this forum and ask..i'm sure that before these forums were created only a few went to the newsgroup for asking what to do..
    how many times we heard "all the other apps work well, just sonar doesn't work with my soundcard"? that wave profiler could use some good upgrades..but there are too many other things to do (thank you Cakewalk for fixing what really needs to get fixed..)
    [end of rant?]

of course i blame here also the MS Windows and the lack of a "BulletProof" standard for how (lousy?) soundcards work with the system..between all the registry keys in Window, ASIO WDM and MME for each card (or not) and all that it's easy to mess up.. I don't think that Sonar always WORKS right out of the box (multiple cards, onboard or Creative cards..soundblasters..) and the SECOND time users are trying to "set up" things (after changing selections of the Drivers lists, playback/recording master..etc.) - too many things can go wrong, many times a second (or more) re-profiling actually does more damage than good..therefore the "delete you aud.ini" to begin all over. why going out of Sonar for this? put some "reset to default" buttons in Sonar's audio options (more on that below)..it will look more "professional" for most and many new users will be able to find these instead of going outside of Sonar and messing with ini files.
    The aud.ini contains too many other "sections" so IMHO deleting it all without merging some of your older (trusted?) values can be a bad thing to do.
    I mentioned "reset" buttons because the i/o detection is one thing there.. give some more checkboxes inside Sonar for controlling all the new things since CWPA..these will set the 0 or 1 flags in the registry or that ini file.. or value boxes for setting (you guessed right) some of those new aud.ini options -
    why do everyone need to mess with the aud.ini and finding some "secret" magic lines here in the forums?
    put it all in a "super advanced- handle with care" or whatever section inside the Audio options window!!!

Yes , it's 2007 soon! ... so even include a context sensitive pop-up help/tooltips when you hover around those super duper advanced complex audio settings

post edited by Honest_Al - 2006/11/30 12:34:01
    Honest_Al
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/29 10:47:10 (permalink)
    Thanks, AL.....I didn't see the aud.ini in program files/cakewalk/sonar ??

It should be there, the only filename that starts with "aud" -

if you can't see the extension (.ini) it's because your Windows is set to hide it,
    it's a good idea to open (in any explorer window) the Tools menu>Folder options>View
    and uncheck the "hide extensions.." box.

It's a simple text file..you can view/edit it with Notepad.

BTW, Anubis - check the post above..sorry for the length
    Honest_Al
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/29 15:44:15 (permalink)
    nevermind
    post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/01/05 13:14:58
    chaplainbob
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/29 19:38:46 (permalink)
    Thanks to all....I just deleted every driver except my firepod and all is well. Thanks again.

In His service,
    Chaplain Bob
    Honest_Al
    RE: S6PE and Spectral PC..where are my drivers?? 2006/11/30 12:15:18 (permalink)
    Multiple driver installs (for multiple cards) tend to cause these things.. I'm glad the firepod works now.

post edited by Honest_Al - 2007/01/05 13:14:32
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1