SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Big Reg
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 303
2005/02/20 12:54:18 (permalink)

SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others

Have anybody out there heard of the SAWStudio recording software? In comparing to Sonar, Protools, Cubase, ect. does it even measure up?

41 Replies Related Threads

rascalmanny
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 14:13:39 (permalink)
    As I've mentioned before I think it's the best. For a variety of reasons. But you should go to the SAW forums.

http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Ask your questions there.
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 14:19:33 (permalink)
    I've played around with it some...even though it does a lot of the same things as Cubase, Protools, Sonar, etc...., it's really not in competition with any of these. Their reputation is built around havivng the most lean, effiecient, and accurate audio engine in the world....which they probably do. But if take a look at the interface, it's really not designed for music composition...I think it's more directed towards doing strictly audio recording for broadcast and film? I think they also have a MIDI expansion package available, but it's nothing like you'd expect if you've used something like Sonar.
    Susan G
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 14:50:51 (permalink)
    Hi Big-
    ORIGINAL: Big Reg

Have anybody out there heard of the SAWStudio recording software? In comparing to Sonar, Protools, Cubase, ect. does it even measure up?

I used SAW (not SAW Studio) many years ago with Cakewalk before Cake software had audio capabilities. I'm pretty sure I used a SMPTE stripe on an AKAI 4-track way back then to sync SAW and Cakewalk.

In some ways I liked it even better than I like SONAR now for audio editing (eg., it had Nudge capabilities & lots more features I found to be extremely intuitive & useful before they showed up at all in Pro Audio and SONAR). Bob Lentini was the sole SAW developer back then, and he might still be for all I know. He was and I'm sure still is *extremely* dedicated to his work. If I had a question or problem, he'd call me back on his own dime (how often do you see that nowadays!<g>) and just keep at it with me until it was sorted out.

I went with Pro Audio when it came out since I preferred an integrated approach, but I did check back with SAW from time-to-time, and at one point several years back I thought they (Bob?) had discontinued development.

I can't compare SAW & SONAR recording quality or the interfaces nowadays, since it's been so long and prety much everything in my setup has changed, but I can certainly vouch for Bob's dedication to his product and customers!

Edited to fix Bob's name! At least I had the beginning and end and some letters in between right -- I told you it was many years ago...

-Susan
    post edited by Susan G - 2005/02/21 08:48:44

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 14:58:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rascalmanny

As I've mentioned before I think it's the best.

At $2500 I should hope so!

jb
    thunderkyss
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1207
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 15:29:25 (permalink)
    Please..........please.........when will this insanity end???????????????.................................

rascalmanny
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 16:41:53 (permalink)
    At $2500 I should hope so!

It's too bad that so many get caught up in this attitude. I use SAWbasic which is $300. The price drops if you go through a VIP dealer plus most of the time the VIPers throw in free stuff.

This debate is best dealt with at the SAW forums.

The full blown version of SAW rivals a PT HD system. Can you get a new HD system for $2500? Also you may purchase SAW through what's called the "Good Faith Agreement."
    $200 down and $100 a month until paid and it's interest free.
    thunderkyss
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 16:47:47 (permalink)
    Sonar Rivals a full blown PT HD system for $500.

As a matter of fact Sonar is up and running at 64 bits. When will SAWstudio/ProTools begin working on 64bit systems??

Master Chief [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 16:48:33 (permalink)
    SAW is written completely in assembly language. I suspect it'll be a little while before it makes it to 64 bit.
    Strryder
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 426
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/20 23:04:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Reg

I have SAWStudio (the full version), I also have the MidiWorkShop but don't do too much midi stuff, my main goal was to replace/exceed my old 16 track reel to reel and 24x8 Mackie console, as well as a rack full of budget compressor/gates and effects units. It does this job extremely well and I do not regret a single penny I spent on it, SAWStudio was a MUCH MUCH BETTER BARGAIN than the 3 grand I dropped on the Mackie 8 bus and meterbridge. Bob Lentini (SAW's creator/developer), has set the price of SS on what he believes his time and coding skills are worth, to him, each channel on SAWStudio's virtual console, and each track on the Multi-Track has a value, just as it would with analog gear, now most people will part with their money happily for great hardware, why should the software package at the very heart of a computer based studio be any different?

There are different ways of audio recording/editing/mixing, and there are many good software and hardware based solutions out there, to at least some degree all of them work a little differently, the easiest way to see if SAWStudio "fits" into the way you work is to download one of the demos, they are available for all three levels of the program, the 300 dollar "basic" version has the same top notch audio engine as it's more expensive counterparts, if you can live with 24 tracks, 6 stereo aux send/return channels, and 8 stereo I/O, you'll find no number of plugins at once limitations, or any differences in the quality of the built in channel EQs, and compressors/gates, from the more expensive versions, the way the automation works in SAWStudio is unlike anything else I've ever used and I really like it. Some people are turned off by the "look" of SS, but there are many different "shades" available to change the way the GUI's appearance.

A few weeks ago I bought SAWStudio Basic to run on an older computer that I have set up at my drummers place for drum tracking, sure, since there is no copy protection on SS I could have installed my full version on it for free, but I didn't, this was partly due to the lower system requirements of SSBasic, but it was mostly out of respect for, and in support of, someone who's given away at least 15 free updates in the 14 months I've been using SS, about half of these updates added new features, and the rest were bugfixes, as soon as Bob can reproduce a bug, he is ON IT, and he fixes it, his unbelievable level of support has gotten to the point where many SS users are starting to demand that he do a paid update, (every once in a while he charges a 100 dollar update cost for users to stay on the current version), I would say that's a good indicator of how SAWStudio "measures up", the customers feel that they have gotten more than their money's worth and WANT to pay more.

SAWStudio by itself doesn't record/edit/playback midi, you can however insert a VSTi in a channel of the virtual console and play it in realtime while recording the audio to the Multi-Track, syncing Sonar or another sync capable midi sequencer to SS should be possible, but this is something I've never done, and I would think that the MidiWorkShop add on is most likely the most stable option for midi playback.

SAWStudio doesn't do DXi's, it will do DX plugins, VST plugins, it's own native plugins, and VSTi's

Some control surfaces are supported, but this is not an area where Bob devotes much of his time, his vision of SS is one of working "in the box" with a mouse and keyboard, which brings us back to this, SAWStudio is the creation of an audio engineer who ran with his ideas and vision of what a virtual studio should be, and while he will implement certain user suggestions into SS, he will only do so if it fits into his vision of SS, this is a big difference from the "let's make a program that can be all things to all people" board room development style that shoots for the absolute widest possible user base, and can create bloated, overcomplicated software that looks good on paper, but too many unnecessary features and options usually come at the expense of product usablility and stability, SS is more of a personal, streamlined, custom made audio recording/editing/mixing platform that also happens to be available for purchase, it's not for everyone, which is why there are demos available for all three levels of it, the only way to know if you'll like it, is to try it, and listen.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 00:59:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Susan G
    I went with Pro Audio when it came out since I preferred an integrated approach, but I did check back with SAW from time-to-time, and at one point several years back I thought they (Bob?) had discontinued development.

Similar story here. Own Saw+ and STILL use it for some things now and again. I was syncing audio to .avi files YEARS before the big three could with Saw+. It really is a great app, but those non-standard UI tweaks and being slow to accept standards buried it real good.

Still Bob Lentini is the man, and his video tutorials using SawStudio are very inspirational. I'd love see the app gain some momentum.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    rascalmanny
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 04:26:37 (permalink)
    "I'd love see the app gain some momentum."

Then you'll want to head over to the SAW forums and see what's been going on. I think you'll be amazed. The amount of new users in the last 6 months has been outstanding. Between word-of-mouth and the internet SAW has really taken off.
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 06:35:18 (permalink)
    I've used SAW, SAW 32 and SAW Pro (but not the studio version) for over 10 years to engineer a weekly radio program.

I hate the SAW interface, which is very different than normal windows programs. The developer is very extremely (dare I say obsesive/compulsive) devoted to his own particularly peculiar style of work, which he created specifically for on-stage theater sound effects and background music. This interface has spawned many love/hate diatribes over the years, but it is what it is, and it's not going to change. So, before you plunk down any money, make sure you try the demo first.

I love the SONAR interface, and even though I have used SONAR 2 XL, SONAR 3 PE, and now SONAR 4 PE for all my recording and mastering needs (including about 6 private-label CDs per year) I still have to use SAW once a week to create a radio program because of 3 features that I haven't been able to duplicate in SONAR. If anyone can tell me how to do these 3 things, I'll dump SAW in a heartbeat and never look back.

1. Duck --- basically a compressor with a different signal patched into the side chain --- which I use to "duck" the music under the intro and outros.

2. Time/pitch stretch --- a very simple plugin that interactively changes the length of a clip. This is very important because the radio program has to be exactly 26:30 minutes regardless of whether the speaker takes 25 minutes or 25:30 minutes. I just raise or lower the pitch by a couple of percent and nobody notices. This makes it much simpler for me because I don't have to move anything else. They did notice once when I had to raise it 6% and it sounded like the chipmunks. So now, I'm pretty conservative bout the pitch change.

3. Multi-bit-rate engine --- the SAW engine will play back sound files recorded at any bit rate. This is important to me because I used to record the voice-only program at 32k to conserve disk space (which was pretty important to me when CD-Rs on special sale with a rebate coupon were $3.00 each) and I still use those files occasionally.

I could live without the last 2, but I really like the ducking compressor, so I would love to find out how to do that in SONAR.

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    thunderkyss
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 11:09:56 (permalink)
    I did a search for sidechaining, and I found this thread. Sonitus Gate I looked at my sonitus gate in Sonar3, and I didn't see any sidechain option. but either way, I think it would be a matter of finding a pluging that accepts a sidechain.

daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 11:15:22 (permalink)
    take a look at the blue cat peak meter pro.

This can work very well.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    thunderkyss
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 11:22:11 (permalink)
    dcastle was pretty good about telling us why he uses both Sonar and SAWstudio, what about you other bronze members with 300+posts, why are yall using both.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 11:55:03 (permalink)
    The times I use my very old Saw+ still are usually when I need to work on someone else's machine. My copy (legal) of Saw+ fits on a FLOPPY... with all the plugins installed (mainly the avi reader for syncing to pic).

Prior to Sonar 1 I used to still use it a bit, now the audio features in Sonar have bumped it back for me. Still, SawStudio is quite a monster, and if he can only get over those UI issues and get some strong marketing SAW would be the great PT killer everyone wants it to be.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 12:38:02 (permalink)
    It's too bad that so many get caught up in this attitude.

?

jb
    confidence
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 16:03:05 (permalink)
    The idea of a DAW app coded in assembly language has got to be very appealing, from the point of view of efficiency and stability. However I'd have to consider that if I were to go down that route - spending significantly more money to get an ultra-stable DAW - for the cost of SAW Studio and the hardware to run it on one could get a Soundscape system, which runs on totally dedicated hardware but still uses the Windows interface, thus REALLY getting the best of both worlds. And has the best rep for stability in the business.

The main reason I haven't gone either route is because I have too much need for MIDI, and I don't do that much live tracking so my need for perfect stability is not big enough to want to mess around syncing one app to another. Sonar is pretty damn stable for me and does almost everything I need within a single interface.

I did once try the SAWStudio demo. I concur about the interface, which was pretty awful. In particular, I remember trying out some of the plugins - might have been the compressors, I think - and they didn't have ANY graphical interface at all, just boxes to enter numbers in! Not even a curve to represent immediately what you're hearing.

Was I missing something? This seemed prety primitive to me. I can't help feeling if someone's gonna charge some 3-5 times what other similar programs cost, they need to be absolutely top notch in EVERY respect. With all programs it's swings and roundabouts - you choose the one that focuses on the things that are most important to you. But for that price? There can't really be any excuses for such fundamental weaknesses.
    Bill OConnell
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 16:58:58 (permalink)
    Was I missing something?

Just the boat, my friend.

Even the pros who can't stand SAWStudio will grudgingly admit that the SAWStudio Levelizer is one of the the best-sounding master compressors in the business.

Nuendo just raised their list price to $2,500. Is it the best in every respect?

I upgraded to Nuendo 3, and it is very good, but certainly not the best in every area--for example, I'd take the Sonitus EQ and other Sonar effects to those in Nuendo any day. I like the freeze function in Sonar better. I like the dithering algorithm better. I could go on. And, of course, I could take the opposite viewpoint. For instance, I learned in this forum that Nuendo sounds better--as much as 20-40%.

So, everyone's got choices. And Sonar is a damn good one. So is Nuendo. And so is SAWStudio. Depends upon what you do, your budget, your way of working. etc.

As for SAWStudio, you really have to read experiences of users, and really explore it to "get" what Bob Lentini has done. And, it just isn't everyone's cup of tea. But for those who do take to it, it can be a musical life-changing experience.

As rascalmanny said, go to their forum if you wish. I've got no horse in this race.

rascalmanny
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 17:39:20 (permalink)
    "Nuendo just raised their list price to $2,500"

Whoa.....I didn't know that. Last time I lurked around those forums people were still complaining about bugs that have been around since version 2. But I don't have first hand knowledge about it. I actually would like to have Nuendo or at least try it out just to see about it.

As for the SAW GUI, there are many "shades" that you can apply to it. One of them makes SAW look a lot like Nuendo. That's the one I use all the time.
    Bill OConnell
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 19:58:43 (permalink)
    If that's Yura's "Ensensor" shade, that's the one I use, too.

Actually I upgraded to Nuendo 3 to protect my investment, when I heard about the price increase. I think the street price for new users is around $2K.

For the demo, I really wish Bob could be persuaded to use one of the other shades (i.e., bitmaps or skins, for non-SAW users).
    post edited by Bill OConnell - 2005/02/21 20:07:14

rascalmanny
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2005/02/21 20:04:47 (permalink)
    "If that's Yura's "Ensensor" shade, that's the one I use, too."

Yep, that's it. Yura is something else. He has a new one now that's pretty good.

Yeah, I went to Sweetwater's site and Nuendo 3 is $2k. (Wow.)
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/22 09:17:39 (permalink)
    Wow a thread I can relate to..................
    dan le
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 03:13:43 (permalink)
    Hi Big Reg:
    It is amazing that when people ask about what the diifference between PT, even PT HD and Sonar, so many people jump in, but everytime with SAW, not too many people want to argue about it.
    .LATENCY:
    Since SAW is written in Assembly language, the execution sometimes can be faster by a hundred times as compared to a normal app, which is compiled, which means that for every instruction, it has to go thru an interpreter, thus slower.
    For instance, in a compiled app, if you want to print something, you use the command Print and let the compiler do the rest. In Assembly language, you will call up an exact numeric address in Hexadecimal, let's say numeric 64000 for example to do a Print command. And the number is what Windows has for a Print function.
    In the old days of Pentium II and III, this direct address command type was very useful, since the speed of those computers was slow, compared to today standards. When you have a few tracks played in a non SAW app, then it will not make any difference, but when you try to stack up about between 30 and 50 tracks, boy, the sounds coming out start to degrade quiclky. With a slow computer, like a PIII, I used to have to use the WDM method to slide the latency bar all the way up to like 64, to be able to play. HOWEVER, at 64, your sounds are not played at the original bit rate intended, so 24 bit for instance is no longer 24 bit. The sounds get smeared. With SAW, and with a slow computer like a PIII, 30 to 50 tracks at very low latency like 5.2 ms is no problem. Therefore the original bit rate is preserved. LOW latency is key to good sound.
    A couple weeks ago, I think that was someone asking about the difference in sounds between Pentium and Athlon, and boy, the poor guy got jolted with like 40 threads making jokes about him. I think he was moving from a slow Pentium to a fast Athlon, and therefore he heard better sounds out of the new machine, but he did not realize that was due to low latency, and thus he asked the question. You guys were mean, BTW.
    However, with faster computers nowaday, and especially with quad core and octo core coming out from AMD beginning next year, all of this FAST speed from SAW and Assembly language will, not might, but will be a thing of the past. Hell, with octo core, even PT HD will be not a major force any more. Why do you think that Digi is letting PT HD users use RTAS plug ins, which are native instead, besides TDM, which is a major shift in their marketing strategy, especially when RTAS prices are way lower than TDM. In fact, over at Digidesign, they call people using PT HD with RTAS plug ins, the poor man's PT HD rig.
    .GUI:
    If you complain about SAW with the lack of GUI, it is precisely because of the use of Assembly language. It is hell to do GUI and graphical interface with Assembly language. With Apple and Windows OS, the graphics are handled by the interpreter, so that it is very simple to design fancy GUI, since all the tools are there. You want to draw a box, you will call up a box, in Assembly, you will have to tell the computer exactly where to draw the box. And hell, if you want to move the box around, then forget it.
    I think that things are changing rapidly with multi core machines in the near future, so if anyone is still using SAW, let's be aware.
    Sincerely, my 2 cents.
    Dan Le
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 04:11:00 (permalink)
    For what it's worth ....

I've evaluated the demo, more than once.

Its greatest positive is its awesome processing capabilityt - as others have said, this comes from being coded in assembly language.

I thought the interface really daggy, more like a video game, though I could live with that. The show stopper for me was that ijust couldn't get my head around its workflow, bussing, etc. I'll cheerfully admit that this probably says more about the limitations of my brain than the limitations of the software, but either way, I couldn't figure it out, even with the Help.

Jsut my 2 cents here ...

Geoff

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    kp
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1496
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 04:17:33 (permalink)
    I'm not even going to start explaining how confused you are between interpreted languages and compiled langauges. And as for latency changing bit rate and sound quality, puh-lease - it's just so wrong it's not even funny.
    dan le
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 05:01:57 (permalink)
    Hi KP:
    We got a power shortage here in California, since it is so hot. Did not see your post until now.
    OK. You might be right. So please explain your theory.
    I just want to bring up the point that, if it is PT, LE or HD, then everyone would jump in with NULL tests, saying there is absolutely no difference, but with SAW, the jury is out.
    I don't feel bad at all by your reply, but if you understand why, and it sounds like you understand why, then please enlighten us all.
    Cheers,
    Dan Le
    p.s.: I was told by Apogee and M-Audio that latency is key in getting a good sound structure. Since I am no hardware engineer, I go by their saying. But I did program just a little bit in Assembly back in the the 70's. Just to let you know.
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 07:43:05 (permalink)
    Rock solid stability is what I value most about SAW. Coupled with a fairly quick machine (3.2 Prescott, 4 gig ram). It is pretty unstopable. Myself I also like the workflow and as far as GUI there are many different "shades" out there. There is also a "Shade" editor which allows you to doctor or create your own shades. Also SAW 4 is getting ready to come out and Letini's said we will be amazed, and he has proven to be a man of his word. Also what other DAW software can you call the developer himself and have a bug fixed that day? That is why I moved to SAW. But I still have S4P installed and working on my machine and will purchase 5 right before 6 comes out, just waiting on the sale..............................
    dcastle
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2623
    RE: SAWStudio Recording Software vs. others 2006/07/23 08:27:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dcastle

I've used SAW, SAW 32 and SAW Pro (but not the studio version) for over 10 years to engineer a weekly radio program.

I hate the SAW interface, which is very different than normal windows programs. The developer is very extremely (dare I say obsesive/compulsive) devoted to his own particularly peculiar style of work, which he created specifically for on-stage theater sound effects and background music. This interface has spawned many love/hate diatribes over the years, but it is what it is, and it's not going to change. So, before you plunk down any money, make sure you try the demo first.

I love the SONAR interface, and even though I have used SONAR 2 XL, SONAR 3 PE, and now SONAR 4 PE for all my recording and mastering needs (including about 6 private-label CDs per year) I still have to use SAW once a week to create a radio program because of 3 features that I haven't been able to duplicate in SONAR. If anyone can tell me how to do these 3 things, I'll dump SAW in a heartbeat and never look back.

1. Duck --- basically a compressor with a different signal patched into the side chain --- which I use to "duck" the music under the intro and outros.

2. Time/pitch stretch --- a very simple plugin that interactively changes the length of a clip. This is very important because the radio program has to be exactly 26:30 minutes regardless of whether the speaker takes 25 minutes or 25:30 minutes. I just raise or lower the pitch by a couple of percent and nobody notices. This makes it much simpler for me because I don't have to move anything else. They did notice once when I had to raise it 6% and it sounded like the chipmunks. So now, I'm pretty conservative bout the pitch change.

3. Multi-bit-rate engine --- the SAW engine will play back sound files recorded at any bit rate. This is important to me because I used to record the voice-only program at 32k to conserve disk space (which was pretty important to me when CD-Rs on special sale with a rebate coupon were $3.00 each) and I still use those files occasionally.

I could live without the last 2, but I really like the ducking compressor, so I would love to find out how to do that in SONAR.

Wow, it's been over a year since I wrote that and so much has changed. I now use SONAR 5 with its incredible gap-free audio engine.

All of my gripes have been fixed and I now use SONAR exclusively for the weekly radio program. It's faster, simpler, better than it ever was with SAW.
    • I use db audioware's db-D dymanics processor with ducking — works perfectly for me.
    • I use Sound Forge 8.0 time stretch to fix the source file length before importing to SONAR.
    • I used the Batch Converter in Sound Forge 8.0 to easily and conveniently change all my archived files to 44.1/16 so I don't need the multi-bit rate engine any more
    And, to top it all off, I found a way to make multiple buses and export them with a preset so all my radio station outputs are generated automatically with the press of a single button — it's awesome!

I hated the SAW interface and workflow for years, but I had to use it because there was no other game in town, and I am so grateful that my current setup has freed me from the tyranny.

Regards,
    David

ASUS M3A78 AMD 9950 Quad 2.6G 8GB
    Shure • Rhode • Audio-Technica • Allen&Heath GL2200-24
    MOTU 24i • Presonus Firepod • E-MU 1212m • Zoom H2
    SONAR 2XL-8PE • Sound Forge 1-9 • Audacity 0.1-1.3
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1