SFZ Opcodes

Author
Annabelle
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 143
2014/08/19 11:09:29 (permalink)

SFZ Opcodes

When I create an .sfz file, I'm wondering, which parameters do I use to put in effects like Reverb and Chorus? I know that "effect1" is the opcode for reverb send level, and "effect2" is the opcode for Chorus send level. However, I'm wondering if there are any parameters that I have to put in to make these actually work with MIDI CC values. I tried "effect1=100", and "effect2=100", but it seems they won't turn on in either SFZ, Dimension Pro, Drop Zone, or even RXP. I also want to know, what parameters would I use for things like "reverb size", "chorus speed", "tremolo speed", "phaser type", "delay Time", "tremolo depth", "Celeste Detune Level", and "Phaser Depth"?
Another thing I'd like to do is incorporate keyswitch parameters, for example, C0=Ringing, C#0=Thumb Damp, D0=Martellato, D#0=Martellato Lift, etc. How would I put these parameters into my .sfz file?  I know there's sw_lokey and sw_hikey opcodes, but there's one that I'm not sure is standard. The opcode in question, which appears in some of the keyswitch instruments in Garritan Jazz and Big Band, is sw_default. Apparently, what this opcode does, is it tells the program which keyswitch to start on. Here's an example. sw_lokey=36, sw_hikey=43, sw_default=36. There's also sw_label, which allows you to name the specific instrument that the keyswitch in question will trigger, for example, for the keyswitch on key 43 (G2), sw_label=bucket mute. If I put opcodes from SFZ 2.0 into my files, is there an easy way for me to test them?
I know there's sw_lokey and sw_hikey opcodes, but there's one that I'm not sure is standard. The opcode in question, which appears in some of the keyswitch instruments in Garritan Jazz and Big Band, is sw_default. Apparently, what this opcode does, is it tells the program which keyswitch to start on. Here's an example. sw_lokey=36, sw_hikey=43, sw_default=36. There's also sw_label, which allows you to name the specific instrument that the keyswitch in question will trigger, for example, for the keyswitch on key 43 (G2), sw_label=bucket mute.

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.

3 Replies Related Threads

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: SFZ Opcodes 2014/08/19 12:11:20 (permalink)

Do you have access to a copy of “Cakewalk Synthesizers: From Presets to Power User – 2nd Edition” by Simon Cann ?

That has the most up to date sfz spec which includes the codes you mention.  My own copy is not at hand so I can't help you immediately (though I don't remember sw_default or sw_label).

I don't think Cakewalk is doing much with sfz anymore, while other companies are making proprietary changes, so who knows what codes work and don't in the various instruments.  The above book is probably now also out of date to some extent.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: SFZ Opcodes 2014/08/19 13:00:45 (permalink)
    I believe effect1 and effect2 are sfz player specific. At least this is what it says in the first edition of Cann's book and http://drealm.info/sfz/plj-sfz.xhtml.

To confirm this I edited the "Dimension Mini Piano.sfz" which ships with the sfz VST. The file is located in the plug-in; the default location in 64bit SONAR is "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins\SFZ\Dimension Mini Piano.sfz".  The file already had a value for effect1 but I bumped the value to 100 along with adding effect2 at 100. After loading the file in sfz player toggle the effects on/off with  the switch in the bottom left. The effects should sound. Now load "Dimension Mini Piano.sfz" into DimPro, the effect1 and effect2 setting do nothing.

There are also several pages of opcodes for effects in Cann's book, too many to list here. I have not worked with the sw_* opcodes; sw_default is not in my references so it was added after the first edition or is a proprietary opcode added by Garritan.
    Annabelle
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    Re: SFZ Opcodes 2014/08/19 16:38:31 (permalink)
    Is there a way that the book by Simon Cann can be put into Braille? I ask this because I'm blind and don't read print. I've talked with the publisher, and they said I have to contact one of the services for the blind that allows you to have books transcribed. However, when I talked with the American Printing House for the Blind in Kentucky, they said transcribing the book from print to Braille is going to cost almost $1000! I don't have that kind of cash. Is there a way I can get just the one section on SFZ opcodes?

I Dream of Australia, France, and Canada, three wonderful nations that represent who I really am.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1