SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64

Author
simeon
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 494
2010/01/25 13:23:04 (permalink)

SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64

Just wondering if anyone is having issues loading SoundFonts in either SFZ or SFZ+ under SONAR 64 bit.
I have used the Sonic Implants Symphonic Strings Mini SoundFonts for many years under LiveSynth Pro but when trying to load some SoundFonts I get the following:

---------------------------
Insufficient Memory
There's no enough memory to load the selected SoundFont.      
OK   

Thanks for any insight.

Simeon Amburgey
Sound Creations, Inc.
www.PraiseTracks.com
***PS.89:15***

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/25 16:29:52 (permalink)
    and all is OK in x32 bit version? what about the size of the library also and your pc's memory..

do you use anything else that could use soundfonts ? or convert  them to say dimension pro etc.

I use a thing called Extreme sample converter that does such conversions. Maybe Kontakt etc can do the import, as it's pretty good with formats.

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/25 22:38:02 (permalink)
    simeon

Just wondering if anyone is having issues loading SoundFonts in either SFZ or SFZ+ under SONAR 64 bit. 

I have the same problem with SFZ+ I only downloaded this after it became free and did not persevere with it.

I am sure I had SFZ working though when I ran through my applications testing them after upgrading from 8.3 32 bit to 8.5 64 bit. It somthing I only use occasionaly, so there may be issues I missed. I am travelling now so I cant' check.
    I can unstand problems with SFZ+ under 64 bit, its pretty old software. SFZ on the other hand is still under development and a 64 bit native version was included with 8.5 an should work.
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?&m=1555013&mpage=1

Are you using 8.5?

Check and see if SFZ is running as native 64 bit or under bitbridge.

Another thing to try would be to see if SFZ+ runs under Jbridge.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/25 23:49:46 (permalink)
    With the original soundblaster and software I used to run into that error message.  In the creative software you could up the memory alloted.  With SFZ I've never had that problem, but I haven't used it in years.

Maybe René will pop in and explain where in SFZ that might be found.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Glyn Barnes
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 00:19:25 (permalink)
    AT

With the original soundblaster and software I used to run into that error message.  In the creative software you could up the memory alloted.  With SFZ I've never had that problem, but I haven't used it in years.

Maybe René will pop in and explain where in SFZ that might be found.

@

Maybe, but I think somthing else is at work with SFZ+ in 64 bit Sonar. I tried loading some very small SF2 files and got the same result.

Also didn't the Soundblaster use memory on the card? I may be wrong, its been a while since I dumped my Augegy and for a long time before that I used SFZ for soundfonts rather than creative's system

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 10:17:20 (permalink)
    Glyn,

I think the earliest Audigy cards had on board memory, but the later ones (the one I had) used computer memory.

But yea, that shouldn't have anything to do w/ SFZ+ except the error message.  I would think it would have something to do w/ an internal problem w/ 64 bit.  It is an older program, but if anyone would know, it is René.  He doesn't seem to pop by often anymore, and I don't know why Cake would invest time in an old, free program.  Except to keep good customers like us happy ;-)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 10:28:34 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes

Also didn't the Soundblaster use memory on the card? I may be wrong, its been a while since I dumped my Augegy and for a long time before that I used SFZ for soundfonts rather than creative's system

the SB AWE32 ,you could add 2 chips on.. same that the EMU esi sampler used.. to give me a whole 28 mb ram.. and 4mb was taken by the midi samples. I remember at the time it wasn't cheap and I bounced stuff out via spdif to mini disc..

then with the sb-live I used system ram.. which you could adjust how much was allocated 600+ mb..

it was nice to have ALL my samples for loops load up, BUT it also increased start up time

Glyn Barnes
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 10:37:38 (permalink)
    Fog

the SB AWE32 ,you could add 2 chips on.. same that the EMU esi sampler used.. to give me a whole 28 mb ram.. and 4mb was taken by the midi samples.

My memory is getting worse. You are correct is was the AWE32 I was thinking of. The Audegy used system ram like the live.

Glyn Barnes
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 10:48:05 (permalink)
    Thinking about this a bit more I think JBridge is really worth a try. Pretty much all the VSTis that are problematic in Bitbridge (EZDrummer, Kitcore, Proteus VX, Independence prior to the 64 bit update) involve loading samples.

Unfortunatly it will be a few weeks befor I can try it out.

fresh101
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 772
    Re:SFZ and SFZ+ insufficient memory errors in SONAR x64 2010/01/26 15:50:43 (permalink)
    Use pr32 or pr16 mode!

(1) Full SoundFont samples vs. program samples
    In an SF (SF32, SF16) mode, sfz+ can load the whole SoundFont file into memory. This mode
    was specially designed to load GM SoundFonts.
    Because all samples for all programs in the SoundFont are loaded at once, it is possible to
    perform MIDI Program Changes while notes are still playing for that channel, without interrupting
    those notes. Both old notes with old program and new notes with new program samples will play.
    This feature is unique to sfz+.
    However, attempting to load the whole SoundFont file into memory can result in an “Insufficient
    Memory” error. In this situation, you should use a PR (PR32, PR16) mode to load only the
    samples for the selected program.
    Loading a GM bank in a PR mode allows you to load only the samples for the violin (for instance),
    while not loading the rest of the samples. Depending on the SoundFont, this could represent a
    huge difference in terms of memory usage and loading time compared with the SF counterparts.
    In a PR mode, sfz+ mutes all notes playing on a Program Change event, then loads the samples
    for the new program.
    post edited by fresh101 - 2010/01/26 15:51:44
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1