SFZ files and piano samples

Author
pdarg
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2265
2012/04/20 15:42:27 (permalink)

SFZ files and piano samples

I am trying to create an SFZ file for some raw piano samples that I have. I can designate the samples, keys, velocities with no problem; however, all the notes seem to shut off rather abruptly on "note off" and when the sustain pedal is set to "0." I'd prefer a smoother end sound.

I have looked at he DimensionPro SFZ piano files, but no luck. I can't quite figure this out.

I am looking for a couple of main commands to help smooth the end sound out, etc. Once I get this down, it's just the tedious matter of composing the SFZ file text.

Anyone know?

2 Replies Related Threads

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re:SFZ files and piano samples 2012/04/20 19:50:18 (permalink)
    pdarg

I am trying to create an SFZ file for some raw piano samples that I have. I can designate the samples, keys, velocities with no problem; however, all the notes seem to shut off rather abruptly on "note off" and when the sustain pedal is set to "0." I'd prefer a smoother end sound.

I have looked at he DimensionPro SFZ piano files, but no luck. I can't quite figure this out.

I am looking for a couple of main commands to help smooth the end sound out, etc. Once I get this down, it's just the tedious matter of composing the SFZ file text.
    If you load up one of Dimension Pro's piano programs and look at the Amp Envelope, you will see that a Release portion has been included.  If you turn off the envelope and play a note, it ends abruptly.  You therefore need to use an envelope similar to the ones used in these programs.

I don't know whether it is possible to put envelope data into an SFZ file.  Maybe someone else can advise on this.  If not, then make use of DimPro's envelope feature.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    timswartz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re:SFZ files and piano samples 2012/04/21 13:19:45 (permalink)
    Pdarg,

Amplifier envelope opcodes can be inserted into the sfz file in groups or regions. There is also a really nice opcode (ampeg_vel2release) that creates a release on note off, depending on the note velocity amount. You can adjust the release amounts to get the desired result.

<group>
    lovel=0
    hivel=127
    ampeg_decay=120
    ampeg_release=1.8
    ampeg_vel2release=-1.2

And one more thing -
    If you would like a simulated pedal down effect, insert the following -
    <effect>
    type=strings
    strings_number=36
    strings_wet_oncc64=70

Adjust the strings_number and strings_wet amounts to your liking. Now when you press the sustain pedal (cc64), the effect will be applied.

Hope you have much success with your piano.

Best Regards,
    Tim
    www.DigitalSoundFactory.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1