SFZLOG.TXT file

Author
robbmiller
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 29
2009/09/28 21:50:15 (permalink)

SFZLOG.TXT file

While I've had it for a while, I just started playing with Dimension Pro.  When loading certian presets, a text file box pops up asking me to create a SFZLOG.TXT file.  On the presets this happens on, all the notes are not present for the sound.  This is especially true of the guitars. 

Any clues why this could be happening?

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/09/29 12:38:38 (permalink)
    its an error report of what is wrong with the SFZ file..

e.g. missing samples or something in there that it doesn't understand

when you say guitars? if it's the onboard sounds that come with it, then sounds like it didn't install correct.. and reinstalling would be a good idea.

you have the updates etc?

if it's a default prog.. post the patch name, bank number and I'll see if I've got the same issue.. but more likely than not , it's probably a missing sample (wav file)

robbmiller
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/09/29 21:30:16 (permalink)
    It is default programs.  For example all of the [Guitars] Les Paul programs (except the bends) and the Martin Steel programs. 

A dialog box pops  telling me the SFXLOG does not exist and opens a BLANK text file.  No error messages present in the file.

I don't usually use soft synths, but an associate was able to produce some pretty decent layers with DP so I thought I'd give it a whirl-about.   Could be something I'm not understanding.  I've been using Cakewalk since the DOS days though, and this doesn't look right.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/09/30 13:36:35 (permalink)
    Just a WAG, but have you made any DP directories read-only?  It sounds like DP is trying to create the file and failing.  I know that in Rapture, if you specify an sfz file that references missing multisample files, you get an SFZLOG.txt file that tells you exactly which files were not found.
    robbmiller
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/09/30 21:22:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!

No the folders are not set to read only, but many of the folders and files in the [multisamples] directory have an "N" bit set.  A quick serch on google seems to point to this being an index indicator of some sort.

I uninstalled DP and reinstalled it... still the same problem.

Just to clarify, the program is not saying it cannot find the samples.  It is saying it cannot find the file SFZLOG.TXT and asking if I would like to create it and opening a blank txt file.

Fog
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/09/30 22:23:16 (permalink)
    ok.. when a program is loaded into DP...

it's in 2 parts...

1.. the prog itself

2.. the sfz file that has the mapping...e.g. c1 = kick drum

so if there is an issue with the SFZ file... it'll output errors and normally autostart notepad and give it the sfzlog.txt file to display with a list of errors

e.g. can't find sample.. folder doesn't exist

in your case it's starting notepad BUT it can't find the SFZLOG.txt thats being generated..

what OS are you using , and version of DP.. might explain it , if it's 64 bit and / or vista..  what host  and also what version of D P.. might be having an effect also.

as maybe the place name it expects to find SFZLOG.txt is different.  hopefully that explains what is actually happening.. as for fixing it.. thats the next bit..

are you running the latest update of DP also?

post edited by Fog - 2009/09/30 22:24:27
    robbmiller
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/10/01 16:00:54 (permalink)
    operating Vista,  DP 1.2, hosted in Sonar (Cubase available).

Its a default setup other than that project files are located on a different drive.
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/10/01 16:16:05 (permalink)
    It would be interesting to know if the SFZLOG.txt file is actually being created, and, if so, where.  You might to a full search for that file name on all your drives.  If you find the one that actually has the diagnostics, that doesn't fix the problem, but at least we'll have a clue as to what's going on.  It'd also be a workaround until (and if) this issue gets sorted out.  After all, getting these diagnostics should be the a rare occurance under normal circumstances.
    Fog
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/10/01 17:29:52 (permalink)
    David, how vista deals with the user data is different.. errm I had that with rapture before when I was testing Muz3um for fr4ncesco and I do think it maybe in the wrong place.. so can't find the file to load up.

e.g."program data" on vista,  instead of "docs & settings" on xp

it's obviously not writing the samples.. the prog has a smaller window.. an SFZ file listed under.. if you open that up in a text editor.. then you'll see what sample it uses.. and perhaps see whats missing.

Rob , 2 things I can think of

1)reinstall, but on the setup right click "run as administrator" instead of just double clicking

2)you use cubase, where is your default VST folder? steinberg? as the system can only have one.. since you didn't say if it was vista 32 or 64 that might make a difference also..

but I'd contact tech support also. there is also an update as a stick, I think Willy from TS posted it, did u try that also?

the main thing is you shouldn't be seeing the SFZ msg IF all the samples are in the right place / present with the stock sounds.

robbmiller
    Re:SFZLOG.TXT file 2009/10/01 20:29:20 (permalink)
    FOG,

I tried #1 and that seems to have done the trick!  At least the guitars seem to be fine this time.  Let me play around and see if everything else is there.  I'll let you know.

Thanks for the help!

And thanks to you too DMBaer, I now understand more of what is under DP's hood.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1