SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW????

Author
BMOG
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 638
2012/08/23 23:28:12 (permalink)

SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW????

I have discovered that I like the kits in SI Drum way better than Session Drummer 2 or 3 Kits. I am stuck tho, I know how to use the sequencer and assign each drum to a track in the sequencer but I am missing something because the output is still coming out of one instrument track. Some how I am not telling the track view to create the tracks I need for each drum to have an output. I tried creating the tracks manually but I can only get the entire kit for output not individual tracks I know I must be doing some wrong. Session drummer has templates that will setup multiple tracks is this possible in SI Drums if so can someone point me in the right direction?

11 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/23 23:53:07 (permalink)
    You're not doing anything wrong. Si does not support multiple outputs.
    Si was originally intended as as easy way for new users to get some stuff going, without some of the options that can inundate said users.
    With it being included in the X1 package, it sits squarely in front of people who expect more variables.
    Understand that the basic concept of SI was simplicity.
    That said, you can insert multiple instances of SI drums, and create a custom map to direct individual drums to the different instances.
    It will take some footwork on your part, but it's not terribly hard to do.
    If you want to squeeze a Ferrari out of a Ford, you're going to have to do some tuning.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 02:48:42 (permalink)
    You could use the SI kit in SD3 if you want. You just need to load the sfz files into the pads yourself and save as an SD3 kit.
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 07:12:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply this was really driving me nuts but I thought about doing that just not sure the impact it would have on the processor with a drum for each track, this helps a lot thanks  
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 07:31:46 (permalink)
    @Scook here is the location of the program but I don't know where to look for the actual wav files C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Programs. Also when you said pads does that mean the drums can't use the sounds and only the pads?  
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 07:39:42 (permalink)
    I have watched it load a kit called Beat Pusher it states that waves are coming from kit3 but not sure where to find kit3
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 07:48:47 (permalink)
    I found it thanks for your help this makes my life easier C:\Program Files (x86)\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Kits
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 07:59:54 (permalink)
    You can drop individual wav files on the pads but you really want to use the sfz files associated with the wavs. The SI-Drum kits default to c:\program files (x86)\Cakewalk\Studio Instruments\SI-Drum Kit\Kits.
    To load these files into SD3, bring up the SD3 GUI and in Mixer mode, right-click then select load instrument. Browse to the SI-Drum Kit\Kits and load the sfz file for each pad. You can then save that as an SD3 kit.
    BTW, you might want to spend some time reading the sfz files, they are plain text. These are the key to building your own kits.

edit: Glad to see you got it in your own. Took me a few minutes to fire up SONAR and check out the Studio Instruments layout. Never used SI but have used SD2 and SD3 extensively. Might have to see what I have been missing.
    post edited by scook - 2012/08/24 08:10:52
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 08:22:00 (permalink)
    @Scook I have built my own kit with the same sfz files and saved them but they sound night and day. The drums in SI-Drum are so full and deep and is SD they are light and week any suggestions on how to make the SD sound the same as SI Drum kit? 
    scook
    Forum Host
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 08:31:17 (permalink)
    I have never used the SI stuff. I will have to load it up and see what is going on. FWIW, I prefer to work with unprocessed drums and add my own compression, eq etc., so the fact that the original sound may not be very full does not bother me.
    I will take a look at SI now though.

edit: OK just took a quick glance at SI-Drums. It has reverb and compression built into it. That is what you know own using SD3. You need to process the drums yourself. The advantage (or disadvantage depending on your point of view) is that you can process each part of the kit individually. I now understand why you preferred the sound of SI-Drums over SD3. The kits in SD3 should be better than SI-Drum but you need to do more work to get the sound you are looking for. What version of SONAR are you working with?
    post edited by scook - 2012/08/24 08:39:20
    BMOG
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 09:25:40 (permalink)
    I am using Sonar 8.5.3 and X1 but I just purchased X1 and I am disappointed greatly at this point!!  I was looking for so much more than 8.5.3  but not so much.  I am using both on Windows 7 64 bit PC
    scook

I have never used the SI stuff. I will have to load it up and see what is going on. FWIW, I prefer to work with unprocessed drums and add my own compression, eq etc., so the fact that the original sound may not be very full does not bother me.
    I will take a look at SI now though.

edit: OK just took a quick glance at SI-Drums. It has reverb and compression built into it. That is what you know own using SD3. You need to process the drums yourself. The advantage (or disadvantage depending on your point of view) is that you can process each part of the kit individually. I now understand why you preferred the sound of SI-Drums over SD3. The kits in SD3 should be better than SI-Drum but you need to do more work to get the sound you are looking for. What version of SONAR are you working with?

scook
    Forum Host
    Re:SI Drum Output Setup For Each Drum Sound HOW???? 2012/08/24 09:32:08 (permalink)
    Sorry to here that you are disappointed with the future of SONAR. You have plenty tools at your disposal, check out the drum production videos http://www.cakewalk.com/C...NARU.aspx/Master-Class . These willl get you started down the road of making SD3 work for you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1