[SOLVED] Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2016/01/20 19:53:26 (permalink)

[SOLVED] Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'?

Hi-

I've been struggling with Acronis True Image TS with this issue for a few weeks and thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had any insights while Acronis looks at my log files.

My ATI 2016 backups stall with the following error:

Failed to read data from the disk.
Failed to read from sector 931,752,544 of hard disk '1'. Try to repeat the
operation. If the error persists, check the disk using Check Disk utility and create a
backup of the disk. Failed to read the snapshot. (Ox1OC45A) Unknown status.
(Ox9) The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (OxFFFO)

I've run chkdsk on all available drives and none report errors.

"Hard disk 1" has no drive letter and there's no menu option for it in Windows Disk Management except "Convert to Dynamic Disk" so I haven't found a way to run chkdsk on it, even though it seems to be the culprit if ATI is to be believed.
I've gotten the ATI error trying to backup either Disk 0 or Disk 2 (both are installed hard drives in my laptop,) so I don't understand why it's even looking at Disk 1.

I "guess" I should run chkdsk on disk 1, but I haven't been able to assign it a drive letter or basically do anything with it. I know more about mountvol and diskpart than I did before, but that's about it ;)!

Any suggestions? My ultimate goal is to clone my Disk 0 drive (which is partitioned for a dual boot system) to a larger drive.

Oh, and why do they say "create a backup of the disk" when that's what I was trying to do when it failed?

TIA-

-Susan

Edit: I marked this "Solved" because it wasn't an ATI problem. The disk was actually dying. I was eventually able to restore everything I needed to a new hard drive and I'm back up & running with no apparent ill effects. I'm still confused by ATI's disk numbering scheme and why it suggests backing up the disk when the backup already failed.

I'm still getting a refund for True Image 2016 because I absolutely hate the interface, which IMO isn't nearly as intuitive as TI 2013 and it seems to be missing some options from the previous version. I have a dual-boot Win 10 system, and 2013 runs with no issues on one, whereas the other one complains about compatibility with Win 10. I'm going to reinstall 2013 on that system and see what happens. If there are any problems, I'll probably move to Macrium. The way I work, I do need the ability to backup/restore indivual files/folders.
post edited by Susan G - 2016/01/26 19:38:38

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

20 Replies Related Threads

JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 00:56:34 (permalink)
    Hi Susan,

Hm, that is an odd problem.  My first thought was that TI is somehow confusing the Disk names (ie. Disk 1 instead of Disk 0), but since it's happening with both Disc 0 and Disk 2, that notion seems unlikely.

Have you run TI successfully before with the same setup?  Are you launching this from within Windows or on bootable media?

It's been awhile since I used TI (I think it was with version 2012), but I've used other software that do the same thing -- so I'm going by a vague familiarity of how these programs usually work.  As you said, it's puzzling why it's even looking at Disk 1 if you're trying to backup Disk 0 or 2.

Have you gone through the settings to see if there's something like "Check all my disks before backup" or "Verify sector by sector before/after the backup"?  Clearly, that's what it seems to be doing.   Maybe in the deep recesses ("Advanced"?) there's a box that needs unchecking...

BTW, what is on Disk 1?  If you do somehow manage to exclude it from the backup, is that (the fact it may be corrupted) a concern later?

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    arachnaut
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1168
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 02:00:37 (permalink)
    I don't know if I can help, but it sounds to me like the error is occuring during validation of the backup to drive '1'.

Sector 931,752,544 is (@ 512 bytes / sector) at byte 477,057,302,528. If that drive is 500 GB in size it may be at the end of the disk. It's not likely that you ran out of disk space because Acronis would test that first.

I'm assuming that the backup is from drive 0 to drive 1.

The message about chkdsk is that if a drive is going bad and chkdsk fixes the errors you should back it up immediately before it might fail again.

I think it is the  target drive - the drive you are backup up onto - that is at fault somehow.

I don't know what 'Acronis True Image TS' is - never heard of a TS version.

'Failed to read the snapshot' means that the 'snapshot' of the drive (which is probably written last) did not verify or could not be read due to a disk error.

Since there was a disk error, the Event Viewer might show more information about the hardware fault.

I have had issues with USB connected drives near their physical end sectors - maybe something to do with the USB drivers. But that was with 4 TB drives.

I don't know how your backup drive is connected, but maybe you can try a different physical connector (port/slot/hub/whatever).

Changing that might also change the disk drive enumeration - so it might not be drive 1 anymore.

EDIT: if your drive is formatted at 4K bytes / sector that error location is at byte 3,816,458,420,224 very near the end of a 4 TB drive.

post edited by arachnaut - 2016/01/21 02:08:30

- Jim Hurley -
    SONAR Platinum - x64  - Windows 10 Pro 
    ASUS P8P67 PRO Rev 3.0;  Core i7-2600K@4.4GHz; 16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X;
    GeForce GT 740; Saffire Pro14 MixControl 3.7; Axiom 61
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 19:41:20 (permalink)
    Hi Jon-
    JonD
    Have you run TI successfully before with the same setup? Are you launching this from within Windows or on bootable media?

I ran TI version 2013 with the same disks & laptop, but I believe the last full backup I did was when I was still on a dual-boot Windows 7/Windows 8.1 system before switching to Win 10. This is the first full backup I've tried to do with TI 2016 on a dual-boot Windows 10 system. I'm launching it from within Windows.

Have you gone through the settings to see if there's something like "Check all my disks before backup" or "Verify sector by sector before/after the backup"? Clearly, that's what it seems to be doing. Maybe in the deep recesses ("Advanced"?) there's a box that needs unchecking...

I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion.

BTW, what is on Disk 1? If you do somehow manage to exclude it from the backup, is that (the fact it may be corrupted) a concern later?

That's what's weird. I have no idea if any thing's on it and I can't come up with a way to find out. I've included an image of my Disk Management screen in the post below.

Thanks!

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 19:46:47 (permalink)
    Hi Jim-
    arachnaut
    I don't know if I can help, but it sounds to me like the error is occuring during validation of the backup to drive '1'.

Sector 931,752,544 is (@ 512 bytes / sector) at byte 477,057,302,528. If that drive is 500 GB in size it may be at the end of the disk. It's not likely that you ran out of disk space because Acronis would test that first.

I'm assuming that the backup is from drive 0 to drive 1.

This happens when I try to back up from Disk 0 to Disk 4. I was able at some point to do a full backup of Disk 2 (Drive D), IIRC. Disk 1 shouldn't be involved at all.

It sounds like you're saying when Acronis says "hard drive 1," they're not referring to my Disk 1 at all, but rather to the destination drive (assuming the source is hard drive 0.) Am I understanding you correctly?

I've run chkdsk on drives C, H, D and L and no errors were reported.

I don't know what 'Acronis True Image TS' is - never heard of a TS version.

Sorry, I just meant Tech Support ;).

Changing that might also change the disk drive enumeration - so it might not be drive 1 anymore.

This makes me think I probably misunderstood what you said before about drive one being the destination drive...

EDIT: if your drive is formatted at 4K bytes / sector that error location is at byte 3,816,458,420,224 very near the end of a 4 TB drive.

The largest drive I have is a 1 TB drive.

Here's a screenshot from Disk Management:

More background info: I got a Windows error on 1/8/2016 (detected a problem on the hard drive)and the Event Viewer showed a Critical Error 1 (a S.M.A.R.T. fault on my drive 0, the one with volumes H and C.) That's what started me down this path, since I figured I should replace that drive ASAP. I wanted to back up everything first and install a new drive. I can't clone the drive while I'm getting the error from ATI or backup the full drive. That's the one and only time I got that Windows error and as I've said, chkdsk and other diagnostics I've run aren't showing any errors on that drive. I still want to replace it, of course, and I have a new disk ready to go once I can get a good full backup.

Thanks so much for your help, guys!

-Susan
    Edit to add: BTW, that popup is for the disk in question, #1. It has no name and the only option is to delete it.
    post edited by Susan G - 2016/01/21 20:12:37

JonD
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 21:45:07 (permalink)
    Susan, the 8GB size of Disk 1 suggests it's the SSD caching part of a hybrid drive (also called SSHD).  If that's correct, I think your next step is determining how/if TI works with a hybrid drive (and if it's possible to bypass it).

From what I can tell, the small SSD is used solely for caching, so I would think it's not important as far as TI is concerned (Of course, I could be way off here. I'm basing my theory from about 5 min of googling).

If you can verify it is indeed a hybrid drive, then in my mind the next question becomes "Is the SSD portion necessary to clone, and if not, how do I bypass it?"

Maybe Acronis TS can answer that question more definitively.

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    arachnaut
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 22:11:04 (permalink)
    You have a problem - a dual boot system with two operating systems on a single physical drive.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 use slightly different structures for parts of the partition table - in particular the dirty bits and stuff used by chkdsk.

I ran into an issue with a friend who did this and he kept getting chkdsk errors on Windows 8 because he ran ChkDsk from Windows 7.

You should really devote an operating system to a single drive and leave off the other one for its own separate drive.

I don't know which OS you are running acronis. You could run from Win 7 and backup 8 or vice versa. 

I would recommend booting from the Acronis Rescue DVD and use that to backup the full DISK 0 with all partitions (not a partition backup, but a disk backup). Turn on verification during the backup.

That small unformatted drive looks like a flash drive, perhaps used by Readyboost.

Maybe you can remove the unnecessary drives and perform the backup. But if the disk has errors I would not back it up with the errors, it may corrupt the backup.

To minimize problems going forward I recommend you do this:

Boot into Windows 7 and run 'Chkdsk c: /f /r /b'.
    Then boot into Windows 8 and run 'Chkdsk h: /f /r /b'.
    These are from administrator command prompts. The 'C:' and 'H:' are the boot drives for the respective OSes.
    They might be different when you boot from one to another.

Do not try to run chkdsk from windows 7 on the windows 8 partition and vice versa. Both chkdsks will modify the drive partition table - it is a shared object - but they will handle it differently so there is risk here of further corruption. 

I have a system with 8 physical drives and 14 volumes so if a disk error occurs it is a nightmare to figure out what drive and partition is being mentioned because Windows uses global internal UUIDs for these.

To help discover these UUIDS I use the Sysinternal suite file called WinObj.exe:

https://technet.microsoft...sinternals/winobj.aspx

It looks like this (run as administrator):

- Jim Hurley -
    64-Bit audio, SR: 48kHz, ASIO 256 samples latency, Rec/Play I/O Buffers 512k, Total Round Trip Latency 13 ms, Pow-r 3 dither 
    Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/21 22:26:48 (permalink)
    Hi Jim-

Ok, thanks! I've been running dual-boot systems from the same (partitioned) physical drives for years and years with no problems, but I take your point.

I can't boot into Win 7 or 8 because both my dual-boot systems have been upgraded to Win 10.

Thanks-

-Susan

arachnaut
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/22 00:42:57 (permalink)
    Susan G
    Hi Jim-

Ok, thanks! I've been running dual-boot systems from the same (partitioned) physical drives for years and years with no problems, but I take your point.

I can't boot into Win 7 or 8 because both my dual-boot systems have been upgraded to Win 10.

Thanks-

-Susan

I think the partition structure changed in Win 8.

I had a web reference with details at one time but I can't find it now.

- Jim Hurley -
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/22 06:32:01 (permalink)
    To determine if its an Acronis bug or an actual problem, try another backup program and see if that too comes up with an error.  Macrium Reflect has a free version and you can test with that.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I mention Macrium as that is what I use (I used to use Acronis but had problems with it).  There are other free backup programs that could be used for testing too.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    JonD
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/22 14:55:01 (permalink)
    Fireberd's idea is a good one.  I've used Macrium Free plenty of times.  (I've never tried it with cloning, but for backup images, it's always done the job without issue).  Won't cost you a cent either.

I suspect Acronis has a problem with your hybrid drive (specifically, the 8GB portion).  I saw reports of earlier versions of TI having incompatibilities with hybrid drives.  Don't know if that was ever resolved.

In any case, wouldn't hurt to try Macrium Reflect.  If it works (and you don't require anything fancier than backing up and restoring images), then the free version is all you need.

Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/22 16:36:50 (permalink)
    Ok, I took fireberd's advice (thanks!) and tried the backup with Macrium Free. It also failed with: Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 - The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I tried the backup (disk image) twice with 2 different drives as the destination and got the same error, so I guess it's the source drive. Chkdsk doesn't find any errors, so does that mean it might be the controller? I don't really know what that means... 

I was able to backup both my C and H partitions with Acronis at some point; I just can't backup or image the entire disk. BTW, that 21.99GB partition on Disk 0 above is the SAMSUNG recovery partition. I wonder if that's gumming up the works somehow, but I'm nervous about just deleting it.

I want to make replacing the boot drive as painless as possible since I have zero experience with the innards of a laptop. I've only swapped drives on a desktop. I have two internal drives in the laptop now, so maybe I should try swapping them first to see if it's the controller? Open to all ideas.

Thanks again-

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/22 23:32:07 (permalink)
    Ok, I give up! I've tried everything I can think of and spent way more time than I should have on this. I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. I tried to restore a partition using Acronis' Universal Restore and that didn't work either. I have multiple rescue boot media and I'm still back to where I started.

All I want to do is install a new hard drive and have what I had before: a dual boot system with dual Win 10 installs. At this point, I'm willing to just ignore the disk errors I'm getting with Acronis and Macrium, since I can't seem to do anything about them anyway. If the disk ultimately fails, I can't see how I'm in worse shape than I am now.

Frustrated,

Susan

arachnaut
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/23 00:10:56 (permalink)
    If you have another computer you could try puttting your laptop drives in it and clone or backup from that machine.

I don't recommend having a dual boot OS (two OS's) on a single drive.

- Jim Hurley -
    Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/24 23:49:31 (permalink)
    arachnaut
    If you have another computer you could try puttting your laptop drives in it and clone or backup from that machine.

I don't recommend having a dual boot OS (two OS's) on a single drive.

Hi Jim-

The drive I'm trying to clone definitely has errors that prevent it from being cloned or imaged. I've backed up the C and H partitions separately (C is current and H is from before I got the disk error on 1/8.) I'm going to bite the bullet and see if I can restore at least the C partition to a new drive.

H is where I have pretty much all of my music apps and I hate the thought of having to reinstall all of them. All digits crossed that I can restore that partition as well and boot from it. I did do a system backup from that partition/OS. I'm in unfamiliar territory here, but once I have everything working again I'll be sure to keep current whole disk images rather than just backups.

I'd be happy to have my 2nd OS on a second drive, but I don't know how to move it at this point. I did the automatic upgrade from Win 7 on C and Win 8.1 on H to Win 10 back when MS offered it and I don't know how to reinstall the OS on either now. My priority is getting everything from the C partition on a new disk so I can get back to work.

One of the frustrations in all this is that aside from that one disk error message Windows threw back on 1/8, there's been no indication of any problem at all *except* when I try to clone or image the disk, and I'm at the computer pretty much all day every day. I'm glad to know there's a problem, I guess, and I'm sure I'll be relieved after this is all over, but what a PITN. I have bootable rescue media upon bootable rescue media

I'll post back when/if all's well again...

Thanks-

-Susan

JonD
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 10:13:10 (permalink)
    Susan G
    .... I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. 
    Susan

Susan, I didn't realize you were cloning.  I thought you were doing a backup image. 

The last couple times I tried to clone I had problems.  I've always resorted to backup images and never had an issue.  If you haven't tried that, it's definitely worth a shot.

arachnaut
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 11:03:52 (permalink)
    I also have had problem cloning (disk to SSD), but not from whole disk restores (Acronis HD backup to new SSD).

When you ran chkdsk, disi you use the "/f /r /b" options? That will check unused blocks and re-build the bad blocks maps. The disk copy may be sector to sector so you might be seeing bad block errors in unused file sectors.

The reason I prefer a single OS per drive is that there is only one partition table and its a good idea to have only a single OS modifying it.

For example, suppose there is the unlikely event that a Windows Update modified the partition table in some way. The other OS might not be able to boot using that info. Even if it's the same OS version, it might not yet have that Windows Update installed.

- Jim Hurley -
    arachnaut
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 11:39:07 (permalink)
    By the way, here is the reference I found that describes how the 'dirty' bit changed from Windows 7 to 8.
    That changed cause me a lot of grief on systems that had 7 and 8 on a single drive.
    I help out at the local Senior Center fixing PCs and this came up once. It was pretty hard to figure out what was happening.

https://www.raymond.cc/bl...dows-without-chkdsk/2/

- Jim Hurley -
    Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 18:40:33 (permalink)
    JonD
    Susan G
    .... I installed a different internal drive and got an error cloning to that. 
    Susan

Susan, I didn't realize you were cloning.  I thought you were doing a backup image. 

The last couple times I tried to clone I had problems.  I've always resorted to backup images and never had an issue.  If you haven't tried that, it's definitely worth a shot.

Hi Jon-

Neither a clone nor a backup image worked with Acronis or Macrium on H. I started getting more disk errors on that drive and have since managed to restore C on a different drive using the Macrium image (painlessly) and I'm attempting now to restore H using Acronis. By the time I tried Macrium, I couldn't image the H partition; otherwise I would have used it for that as well. BTW, IMO, the Acronis TI 2016 GUI is total garbage (doesn't provide nearly enough info) and I'll be getting a refund ASAP. I'll either go with the full version of Macrium or reinstall my ATI 2013, since I do need to be able to backup files & folders as well as do disk imaging and clones.

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 18:48:26 (permalink)
    arachnaut
    I also have had problem cloning (disk to SSD), but not from whole disk restores (Acronis HD backup to new SSD).

When you ran chkdsk, disi you use the "/f /r /b" options? That will check unused blocks and re-build the bad blocks maps. The disk copy may be sector to sector so you might be seeing bad block errors in unused file sectors.

The reason I prefer a single OS per drive is that there is only one partition table and its a good idea to have only a single OS modifying it.

For example, suppose there is the unlikely event that a Windows Update modified the partition table in some way. The other OS might not be able to boot using that info. Even if it's the same OS version, it might not yet have that Windows Update installed.

Hi Jim-

See above on my progress, but I couldn't backup nor clone the full disk. I got the message running chkdsk /r that there wasn't enough space to copy the bad sectors, which apparently means that reserved space was full. Just this morning I started getting multiple disk errors from Windows, so I went ahead and replaced the drive.

I'm in the process now of recovering the H partition with my second Win 10 boot. The 1st (C) boot apparently is working fine. I don't know how to transfer the OS on H to another disk. Maybe it's as simple as recovering it to a different drive? I want to at least get everything back to the way it was before I try that, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks-

-Susan

Susan G
    Re: Acronis backup error - hard disk '1'? 2016/01/25 20:40:15 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm back to where I was except without the hard disk errors. Hallelujah! Off to image my drive...

-Susan

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1