Helpful Reply[SOLVED] Editing Pitch Names for BFD3 in Studio One

Author
jackson white
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
2018/01/28 20:44:27 (permalink)

[SOLVED] Editing Pitch Names for BFD3 in Studio One

Executive summary to spare interested parties the trouble of wading through the tree; 

> SO3 loads the "active" keymap in BFD3 on startup and displays the long names from the xml files for the kit pieces. They cannot be edited in SO3. 
> The work around requires two key steps. 
1. Creating a "multi-instrument" in SO3 using two instances of BFD3.
2. Setting the individual outputs in two different places. 
    2.1  In the BFD3 mixer channel as expected
    2.2  AND in the SO3 VST "wrapper" for BFD3.
> Issue resolved with timely and useful guidance once I managed to post in the Community Support Forum. 

I am able to:
- Use multiple color coded MIDI tracks
- Route individual kit pieces in BFD3 to SO3 channels for FX processing
- Save it all as a template

NB. Old dogs gotta learn new tricks if they want to eat. "Intuitive" and "obvious" are sometimes merely entrenched behaviors reinforced with years of repetition. 

Finally getting around to exploring candidates and hit a MIDI speed bump on the very first project.

Studio One Pro is unable to display custom pitch names for a BFD3 keymap. The Pitch Name Map displayed is not editable and pretty much unusable.

After putting in significant effort to RTFM, could not come up with a work around (manual appears to be out of date?). There might be one, but I can't afford to spend days figuring out basics.

Posted on the Presonus forum. After 7 days, >100 views, not a single reply or suggestion (the reply listed is my update on a related issue which I managed to figure out). The SONAR forum might have been a bit "lively" at times but generally came through with timely, informed and useful suggestions. The Presonus forum is a significant downgrade based on my experience.

The specifics in case you're interested.

1: S1 Pro will load a custom keymap defined in BFD but does not support the display of custom kit piece names. It will only display the long winded kit piece names pulled from the xml files supplied by BFD which is pretty useless as the fields in the MIDI Pitch Name map are not long enough for the full name, even with the hard coded fine print font.
2: Tried to edit the Pitch Name Map but the editor will not allow selection in the program.
3. Tried to load a custom xml file created outside of Studio One, but the editor will not allow selection.
4. Tried the full screen mode for the MIDI Editor, but unable to increase the length of the Pitch Name fields.
5. Also noting that loading a new keymap in BFD will track the samples triggered (of course note names are the same) but does not update the Pitch Names displayed. (smh)
May seem like a small thing but this is a major productivity hit and a show stopper for me. A pity, as there were features I was interested in exploring further. 

On to the next one...
post edited by jackson white - 2018/02/06 20:02:41

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/28 23:18:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby BassDaddy 2018/01/28 23:23:16
I can edit pitch names easily. Create a midi part and double click on it so it is visible down in the bottom window.

Up the top, click on the little drum icon. Click to the right on the spanner icon and the Edit Pitch List appears. Just enter a name here and OK and its done.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/28 23:34:27 (permalink)
Well - you are at 51 views and 0 replies here!  

Anyway...

I have Studio One but not BFD, but I do have some experience with editing the pitch map, since I am "The Drum Map Guy" (self-titled) around here.

I have a Pearl Mimic Pro hooked up to Studio One and I've created a pitch map for it.  While there is no "display of custom kit piece names" (not sure what that means), I haven't had any problem creating a map of kit pieces named as I want them and at the notes I expect them to be.  There are a TON of things that I think are inferior on the drum mapping side of the program, but there is a Pretty Active FR over at Presonus for improvement on this.

The application itself has a LOT of promise for me, so I'm looking past the drum mapping capabilities and accepting that the names of notes is good enough.

So, when I go to the Midi Editor screen for a track with drum assignment (and click the little drum icon at the top left), then click on the Wrench in the upper left, scroll down to a note, click once, then I can name it what I want, click OK and it stays that way.

If you are using a special plugin, do the rules change?  Not being sure, I loaded up Addictive Drums, created a midi track, and followed the same procedure as above.  Still worked the same for me.

What am I missing from your steps?

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
jackson white
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/29 03:16:09 (permalink)
Thx, appreciate the response. 

@Jeff Evans. Did you check it with BFD3 loaded in S1? I can easily do (and have done) as you suggested without BFD3 loaded. This is a very light test project with several MIDI tracks pointing to BFD3 and the MIDI Editor open. Everything plays as expected. Clicking on the spanner icon does nothing. Clicking in the Pitch Name fields does nothing. 

@Blades. I'll take 2 replies here over a week on the Presonus forum with zero replies. Big user of drum maps here as well which is why this is an unexpected problem for me. This is not crazy re-mapping of notes/controllers, just simple easy to read names so I can tell what I'm working with. 

The obvious difference is I'm using BFD3. I've checked both BFD and S1 Pro for potential setting in preferences
without any luck. It could be super obvious and I've inadvertently locked something up by accident. I'll give AD2 a shot tomorrow to see if I get different behavior. 

Thx again, Presonus forum up to 122 views and zero replies. Perhaps all the experts think I'm an idiot. At least they might say so on this forum. 

--------------------
Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/29 06:58:03 (permalink)
I don't have many drum type virtual instruments apart from Impact in Studio One.  I play drums and generally sequence drum machine like parts in a different way.

So I cannot test that. It maybe something between Studio One and BFD 3. Maybe some others might chime in. I might check on the Presonus forum as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/29 12:12:57 (permalink)
Have you shot an email to FXpansion? I would try them first, then PreSonus.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/30 02:45:30 (permalink)
Jackson, after reading your post here, I actually looked for your post over at studio one forum to out my comment there to stoke the flame a bit but I couldn't find it there. Being a participant in most of the forums I frequent, I hate when posts go completely unanswered.

Got a link?

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/31 03:17:32 (permalink)
jackson white
Finally getting around to exploring candidates and hit a MIDI speed bump on the very first project.

Studio One Pro is unable to display custom pitch names for a BFD3 keymap. The Pitch Name Map displayed is not editable and pretty much unusable.

After putting in significant effort to RTFM, could not come up with a work around (manual appears to be out of date?). There might be one, but I can't afford to spend days figuring out basics.

Posted on the Presonus forum. After 7 days, >100 views, not a single reply or suggestion (the reply listed is my update on a related issue which I managed to figure out). The SONAR forum might have been a bit "lively" at times but generally came through with timely, informed and useful suggestions. The Presonus forum is a significant downgrade based on my experience.

The specifics in case you're interested.

1: S1 Pro will load a custom keymap defined in BFD but does not support the display of custom kit piece names. It will only display the long winded kit piece names pulled from the xml files supplied by BFD which is pretty useless as the fields in the MIDI Pitch Name map are not long enough for the full name, even with the hard coded fine print font.
2: Tried to edit the Pitch Name Map but the editor will not allow selection in the program.
3. Tried to load a custom xml file created outside of Studio One, but the editor will not allow selection.
4. Tried the full screen mode for the MIDI Editor, but unable to increase the length of the Pitch Name fields.
5. Also noting that loading a new keymap in BFD will track the samples triggered (of course note names are the same) but does not update the Pitch Names displayed. (smh)
May seem like a small thing but this is a major productivity hit and a show stopper for me. A pity, as there were features I was interested in exploring further. 

On to the next one...

I only mention this, not so much as answer to your question . . . take it more as a general comment.
You chose Studio One . . . I chose Cubase, which I read excels at midi, and I use BFD3 in most projects.
In Cubase there is button on the BFD3 track "Create Drum Map from Instrument" one click, poof you're done.
Then, you can customize how you want it to display, Score view, PRV view . . . then save as a track template.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

jackson white
Re: Major Studio One MIDI Disappointment with BFD3 2018/01/31 20:44:00 (permalink)
Tried posting an update, apparently a victim of the forum bots.

--------------------
jackson white
Unable to edit Pitch Names for BFD3 in Studio One 2018/02/01 02:36:14 (permalink)
UPDATE (re-post after losing the first round to censor bots)

> Updated BFD3 to 3.2.2.2
> Updated Studio One Pro 3.5.5
= Unable to edit Pitch Name Maps in Studio One Pro

I can load AD2 and edit/save Pitch Name Maps as expected
= Some issue with BFD3 / Studio One Pro.
This is such a basic feature I'm assuming it must be something I missed. Trying to find out if S1 Pro has configuration options similar to AUD.ini for SONAR. BFD/Fxpansion has always been on the cutting edge of drum VSTis and thought some forward looking feature might be the issue.

I recall a post where Studio One is claiming some DNA from Cubase and noted problems with drum maps wrt earlier versions. Perhaps this "trait" has not made it down the evolutionary tree yet?
@mettelus. thx, posted on Fxpansion forum
(Link defeated by akismet filter)

@Blades. Thx. Up to 159 views without a single response (smh). I'm fine with having my ignorance called out. Perhaps I should post this to Support? (spoiled by this forum, are we?)
(Link to original post on Presonus Forum defeated by akismet filter.)

@noynekker. Appreciate the comment, but haven't chosen anything, just started exploring alternatives. I used Cubase on a few projects years ago specifically for doing arrangements in MIDI and recall it being OK but preferring DP at the time. However, SONAR has been much more productive for the bulk of what I do since then. Haven't revisited Cubase yet.

I assume you are able to edit/save/load Pitch Names (Kit Piece Names/Articulations) for BFD3 in Cubase?
post edited by jackson white - 2018/02/01 13:58:38

--------------------
jackson white
Re: Unable to edit Pitch Names for BFD3 in Studio One 2018/02/02 19:50:35 (permalink)
@Blades
Apparently my initial post was in the wrong forum ("Forum") instead of the "Community Support Forum". Re-posted and at least seeing some signs of response if not a solution. 

thx. 

--------------------
jackson white
Re: Unable to edit Pitch Names for BFD3 in Studio One 2018/02/06 20:11:22 (permalink)
[bump] to give the solution some props. 

--------------------
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1