Helpful Reply[SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs".

Author
WallyG
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 833
2016/06/22 11:59:46 (permalink)

[SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs".

I've had very good experiences using Melodyne for enhancing my almost perfect vocals, but I'm working on a project where there is no sound coming out when I adjust the blobs either for pitch or timing. This happened once before on a different project months ago, but I thought I might have screwed up the project when my computer keyboard jumped up to my arm and did funny things...

If I hit play when I'm in Melodyne, it plays back correctly, but not when I try to adjust notes. What's interesting is that if I move the blob with the pitch tool, the blop moves, but the red line in the middle of the blob showing pitch variations does not move!

I've looked at all the menu options and everything seems correct. Anyone else experienced this?

Walt

UPDATE: I did what I should have done in the first place and Googol'ed it. Toggled the Global Effects Button and enabled input echo and life is good! Thank you Mr. Googol. Back to music...

2nd UPDATE: Did not need to enable input echo. Just toggling it and GEB fixed the problem. Go figure...
post edited by WallyG - 2016/06/22 14:14:32

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
annifarkle
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/06/22 15:06:22 (permalink)
Great post! I've had trouble with this but never stopped long enough to research it. Thanks!

Boredom is the enemy, So says the child in me. AGF  
Sonar Platinum Subscription
Win 10 Pro
AMD A10-7850 Radeon R7, 12 Computer Cores 4C+8G 3.70 GHz
Ram- 16 GB
64-bit OS x64 processor

Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/06/22 16:31:03 (permalink)
Could you just clarify the solution please?  The Melodyne note synthesiser fell silent for me today - and I've done nothing to cause that. I hate it when something like this happens - I don't change any settings anywhere and then it legs me up like this. Clicking the track's input echo didn't help.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
WallyG
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/06/22 16:53:32 (permalink)
Skyline_UK
Could you just clarify the solution please?  The Melodyne note synthesiser fell silent for me today - and I've done nothing to cause that. I hate it when something like this happens - I don't change any settings anywhere and then it legs me up like this. Clicking the track's input echo didn't help.

After Googling this issue, I came upon the solution that worked for me. Before creating a Melodyne Region, click the Global Effects Bypass button (a rectangle button in the control bar labled FX) On then Off. I then toggled the input echo button On/Off. I created a Melodyne Region in the track I was working on and voila, the blobs sounded when I adjusted them like they should. I had tried other things before like getting out of Sonar, then back in, rebooting the computer, but this was the only thing that worked. 

Doesn't explain the root cause and I almost felt like I should rub my belly in a circular motion with one hand while the other hand rubs the top of my head in a circular motion before I clicked the buttons. 

Hope this helps.

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
Skyline_UK
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/06/22 16:58:55 (permalink)
Thanks Walt.
This is a wee bit worrying as it was working ok one or two Sonar updates ago without the need for this odd ritual...  

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
+ too many other plugins
BandLab page
WallyG
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/06/22 18:11:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Skyline_UK 2016/06/23 03:49:06
Skyline_UK
Thanks Walt.
This is a wee bit worrying as it was working ok one or two Sonar updates ago without the need for this odd ritual...  

You're welcome! I've been using Melodyne since it came on the scene on many of my songs and it only happened once before. UPDATE: For giggles I remembered what song it was while typing this. (I do a very wide range of genres. This one is with my wife singing in Norwegian.)

The problem started as I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that something happened with the keyboard, as if a cat tried to help me out by walking over the keyboard. Not sure what happened, but my effects got all screwed up. I had to go in and turn them all back ON one at a time. (Okay, I’ll admit I wasn’t up to speed on the function of the Global Effects button since I never used it, and didn’t even notice it was on at the time. Lesson learned).

I opened up the song just now and yes the Global Effects button was ON. Before I touched it, I created a Melodyne region and the blobs did not sound when I moved them. I removed the region and toggled the Global Effects Button (left it disabled), created the region again and now the blobs made sounds when moved. I must have pressed the E Key at one point without realizing it. (Have to reassign it!) Input Echo was off. 

I'm guessing that since Melodyne is a plug-in (effect?) that if you enable the Global Effects button, it will shut off all effects, including Melodyne, and if you go in and manually turn the effects back on, Melodyne will still be out of the picture until you toggle Global Effects to get everything in sync. Just my thought.

All’s well that ends…

Walt

noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/07/13 23:41:23 (permalink)
I had this happen to me today again, Melodyne blobs are silent when editing . . . so I searched and consulted the Google Oracle and found this thread . . . just wanted to say thanks for discovering this "fix" because it's surely not in any manual or documentation. Does that make it a bug ? . . . or is it really necessary to toggle the global efx button to get this to work every time we edit blobs in Melodyne ?

Anyways, thanks again Walt for posting this workaround solution for us.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

dcmg
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/07/14 00:27:38 (permalink)
Thanks for this info. Happens on occasion here too.
I have not found a pattern as to why they sometimes don't sound.

PS: Put this in the "odd things that happen when I fatfinger the wrong key and everything gets whacked" file.
Like accidentally hitting 0 on the numeric keyboard and seeing the mysterious white line and many of your key bindings not working. Later found that keystroke toggles you into some odd "keyboard navigation only" mode.
Good luck finding that one in the manual :)

CWBL/SPlat/Studio One Pro on Win10-64 Bit
Asrock H370 Pro4 w/Intel i7-8700
16GB Adata DDR4 2666 RAM
All SSD's/ On-Board Intel Graphics
Apollo 8 Quad FW/TB, AD2, Trillian, Omni, S-Gear, Waves, Soundtoys, TRacks, 
MicPres: Langevin DVC, Great River, UAD LA610Mk2. 
Dynaudio Monitors, and other stuff.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/07/14 00:48:02 (permalink)
Also remember that you need to have Input Echo on. Whenever I've had "silent blobs" (not related to "Jay and Silent Blobs Strike Back"), remembering to enable Input Echo always solved it.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
WallyG
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2016/07/14 11:24:00 (permalink)
noynekker
I had this happen to me today again, Melodyne blobs are silent when editing . . . so I searched and consulted the Google Oracle and found this thread . . . just wanted to say thanks for discovering this "fix" because it's surely not in any manual or documentation. Does that make it a bug ? . . . or is it really necessary to toggle the global efx button to get this to work every time we edit blobs in Melodyne ?

Anyways, thanks again Walt for posting this workaround solution for us.

Hi noynekker,

You're welcome! IMHO, I don't think it's a bug. When you use the Global Effects button (or accidentally hit the E key) to turn off all effects, you turn off ALL effects (including Melodyne), which is what it is supposed to do.
To turn them back on you hit the Global Effects button again to reverse the process, all the effects come back on, including Melodyne.

If you do what I did and instead manually turn on each track’s effects, all will be enabled except for Melodyne. I’m not sure if there is a way to manually turn on Melodyne, so to turn on all effects, toggle the Global Effects button. I did not have to put the Echo on.

Walt

Mr. torture
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2018/03/02 17:47:34 (permalink)
I cannot get this to work at all. I have tried everything in this thread and still they are silent. Any advice??
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: [SOLVED] Melodyne not playing sound when moving "Blobs". 2018/03/02 17:58:34 (permalink)
Mr. torture
I cannot get this to work at all. I have tried everything in this thread and still they are silent. Any advice??

Input echo ?

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1