Helpful Reply*SOLVED* Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2014/08/03 14:48:37 (permalink)

*SOLVED* Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends?

This is more or less "solved". I've been sticking to the direct outs but it's nice to know the aux outs are there and useable for such things. I have however learned quite a bit (and relearned a lot) about my mixer and mixers in general. Thanks, all. Cool convo.

OP below for those who are curious.

Hello, all. Hope everyone is well. I posted a similar thread like these a couple years ago but really didn't know WTF I was trying to ask so here I am again, hat in hand, looking for scraps of advice.

I will list the applicable gear I have first so everyone knows what I'm looking at.

Mixer = Mackie CR1604 (old analog American version... not the fancy new ones with the digital connectors)
Connections (that apply to this convo):

1) There are 8 direct outs for the first 8 channels. They are post Trim/EQ/Fader. There are no separate controls for the output level coming from these direct outs. The level being outputted by these direct outs is basically controlled by adjusting the fader or input trim. They also have a bunch of other features based on what type of cable is used and how far it's pushed it but that doesn't matter for what I'm doing/asking.

2) There are six Aux outputs. Each channel has 4 Aux level knobs that allow that channel to be outputted to the corresponding Aux out connector (so each channel can be sent to four different Aux outputs individually, all at once or in any combo by adjusting the corresponding level knob). There is a button that switches the 3/4 aux outputs to be sent to the 5/6 outputs instead and then the 3/4 knobs control the output level (but that't just a routing thing and doesn't matter really for this convo). There is also a switch on each channel that makes all of it's Aux outputs Pre or Post EQ/Fader.

Interface = Focusrite Scarlett 18i6
Connections: It has six 1/4" line ins on the back which are what I am using to connect the mixer to as well as the multi ins on the front panel (it also has a bunch of other stuff that don't apply here).

Things being connected: Line 6 Duoverb (I'm using the two XLR balanced outputs but it has line outs, effects send/returns, etc), Traynor TS-140 (has a single XLR balanced out and confusing old school ins/outs... it is very old and I have not tried much with it yet but the XLR out will probably be used) and the usual mics for vocals, micing the guitar speakers, acoustic guitar, whatever.

So I have tired of using the multi ins on the Scarlett. They sound good but are limited as they only have one control for each of the two channels (input trim). There is no EQ section or other goodies and if I engage phantom power it affects both inputs. Also... well there is only two XLR inputs which is limiting in itself. I also get concerned about wearing out the semi cheap feeling plastic Multi In jack (one of my very few complaints about the unit).

With the Mackie I can have Phantom Powered mics and dynamics running at the same time, the pres are nice, there is a sweet sounding eq section, it's sturdy as heck, etc. Also since I discovered my TU-2 may act as a splitter I can send the XLR outs of my Line6 (or whatever) and have a fully processed signal (including mics on the cab) while still sending a dry signal to the Scarlett's multi in (for amp sims).

So the conundrum is do I use the direct outs which have less controls or the Aux outs to feed the Scarlett? Most of the stuff I'm reading (including the manual for the mixer) is saying to use the direct outs to send to an external recording device. However I also see people saying that IF direct outs aren't available on a mixer using Aux outs is a solution.

Basically considering I can seemingly get more functionality out of the Aux outputs (because I can control the level going to the interface AND bypass the EQ if I so desire which is doubtful but it is an extra option... and I could mix channels together if I want which again seems doubtful but it is an option) the only downside seems to be that I would have two less possible outputs from the mixer which I probably won't need in my modest home setup. Even then there are many other routing options that I could use if I did need more outputs.

Is there some magical awesomeness about direct outs (which I actually bought this board for because I didn't understand Aux routing) that I am overlooking? Crosstalk between channels? Different gain considerations (this board touts a really wide gain range to cover most applications from the way the manual brags)? 

Just looking for some insights as to what the best way to proceed here is and/or things I should be aware of/look out for before proceeding with further tests. So far the direct outs do work and have for a long time but if I can have that extra level control it would be really helpful methinks.

Cheers and thanks. I'm a busy little Beep these days so I'll be back and forth.

post edited by Beepster - 2014/08/04 16:36:23
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 14:50:35 (permalink)
Cripes that was long.

tl;dr version...

If I want the signal from my mixer to go into my interface and then to Sonar is there a any benefits to using Direct Outs vs. Aux Outs?

Details are in the novel I just posted in the OP. lol
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:10:24 (permalink)
Oh and another benefit to using Aux outs is all 16 channels have access to the 6 aux outs (4 at a time with level controls for the chosen 4 outs) whereas only the first 8 channels have the direct outs. I could have cables hooked up and channels set for specific things (vox, amps, etc) and just unhook them from the Scarlett when not in use (and mute the channel on the mixer). Might be a time saver.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:18:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/08/03 15:54:16
I would imagine the direct outs have less noise than the aux outs. Fortunately it is not an either/or situation, 4 direct and 4 aux out might be a good compromise.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:27:05 (permalink)
scook
I would imagine the direct outs have less noise than the aux outs. Fortunately it is not an either/or situation there might be a good reason to use both. 4 direct and 4 aux out would be a good compromise.

Interesting. Any idea what would be the cause of that noise? Keep in mind this is not a cheap board (supposedly). It's supposed to be suited for pro film/audio applications and Mackie goes to great lengths to claim all connections and controls are equally awesome (even the headphone output).

However that is coming from them so who knows. It is from before they moved production offshore though so this is the old Mackie. Not the newer, less desirable stuff.

Thanks.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:33:38 (permalink)
I guess another factor that I hadn't considered is for the most part all input going through the mixer for my current purposes would be the same signal (like me playing a single guitar part being recorded from multiple sources or vocals being recorded through multiple mics). So it's not like I would have different instruments/performances going through the board at the same time. So any channel bleed probably wouldn't matter BUT I will keep my ears open for that kind of thing anyway.

Cheers.

Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:40:10 (permalink)
Ah, scook... you have given me an idea to test the difference. I only have 6 direct Line Ins on the Scarlett (I'd be concerned the Multi Ins on the Scarlett might color the sound thus ruining the test). From the mixer I could use 3 direct outs and 3 aux outs on the same signal making sure the levels are matched as evenly as possible once they hit the Scarlett. I record all six and compare the two groups of three.

Thanks.

Still looking for any other thoughts on this though.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:42:30 (permalink)
aaand I guess I wouldn't need to do all six. Just two but I have snakes that can handle that many connections. It would be good to test the channels anyway.

edit: I'm guessing I could do that reverse polarity null test thing to compare the signals too. hmm...
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:47:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/08/03 15:54:08
Beepster
Interesting. Any idea what would be the cause of that noise?

The additional circuitry needed to get the signal to the aux port.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 15:53:29 (permalink)
scook
Beepster
Interesting. Any idea what would be the cause of that noise?

The additional circuitry needed to get the signal to the aux port.

Ah. Yeah, that makes sense. The polarity trick should reveal that type of thing though I'd imagine. Considering people spend good money on software console emus that type of noise might be desirable.

Thanks again.
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 17:12:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2014/08/03 17:55:30
The traditional way is direct out to the recorder - it keeps operator error at the minimum and wiring the shortest.  However, with 8 outs and 6 ins it will be confusing anyway.  I would think 4 direct outs and the stereo signal (or alt if Mackie supports it) would give you a lot of flexibility.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 17:44:46 (permalink)
Hi, AT. I certainly have a buttload of flexibility with this mixer (there are a ton of other possible output configs I didn't mention). I actually have a total of 8 direct outs (as well as mains, Alts, monitor, summed mono, hi quality stereo headphone AND the 6 Aux outs... there may be more I'm forgetting). It's a super nice board which I'm glad I picked up before I descended into extreme poverty.

If direct outs are the traditional way I'll be sure to keep that as my failsafe, especially when signal purity is needed. I'm going to try the aux method as well just to see if there is a noticeable difference because I really would like that extra level control before it hits the interface and Sonar (because there are no trim controls for those inputs on the Scarlett). Currently it'll be for crunchy guitar stuff so any noise introduced will probably be completely overpowered anyway. The signal is going to get split before the amp/mixer and one signal sent DI to the Scarlett Multi In anyway so there will be a pure signal available.

Really I'm just experimenting at the moment to see what I can get away with and what works the best. 

Cheers. I hope you've been well and thanks for the advice.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 18:11:11 (permalink)
Bah. I kind of spaced on what you were saying. The confusion either way should be minimal now that I understand the board a little better. Aux and Alt and other strange outputs/inputs confused the heck out of me until today but it's all very simple in retrospect. All I'd have to do is stick to the numbers. Knob 1 = Aux 1 = Scarlett in 3, Knob 2 = Aux 2 = Scarlett in 4, etc.

What gets confusing is how Sonar sees the inputs what with the "In 1" and "In 2" on the interface both being called "In 1 (left, right and Stereo)" but I'm used to that now. No biggie.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 19:01:04 (permalink)
I've got a 1604VLZ also, and used the 8 direct outs for my drums into my Delta 1010. I loved being able to control the individual toms after they were in Sonar. I used a couple 4 channel compressor/gates hooked up to the inserts to gate the drums as they were being recorded. I agree Beepster, it's a nice little board.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 19:48:31 (permalink)
Hi, Leadfoot. They are pretty slick aren't they? Unfortunately I was a little too... er... uneducated to really make full use of it until now. I kept creating loops and doing other stupid stuff when trying to use it beyond basic i/o. It was very frustrating but after not touching it for a few years and learning more about audio it's making a heckuva a lot more sense.

Yours is a little more modern than mine. I recall seeing that model when I was looking at mixers but they were being sold for at least twice as much. Mine is the original version and it is pretty huge. It also, IIRC, doesn't have some of the extra features yours does that are more geared toward digital recording (but what those features are I have no idea at this point).

I really lucked out when I got this. It was something like $300 in mint condition whereas others around that price were beat to hell and none of them came with the additional input pod. Apparently it had been sitting in a hotel board room tucked away in the podium or something and only used for speeches and stuff. It might as well have been right out of the box.

I was testing it out a bit yesterday through Sonar and man does it sound good. The EQ is particularly nice and I just learned today that Mackie designed the EQ to control things more logically in regards to music (as opposed to usual band placement on older boards... or so they claim but it does seem to make a difference). I used to use it with my old Layla 3G and Nuendo but I think it sounds much crisper through the Scarlett and Sonar. It has been a very long time since I used the old set up though so I could just be imagining it.

Either way I'm glad I kept it as opposed to liquidating it during my great poverty purge a few years ago.

Cheers.
Leadfoot
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 20:04:22 (permalink)
Man, you got a really great deal on it! How many tracks do you plan on recording at the same time? If it doesn't exceed the number of inputs on the Scarlett, I definitely vote for the direct outs as opposed to the auxes.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 20:33:14 (permalink)
Well with all the wacky stuff I want to try and a desire to get as many possible signal sources (so I cab choose/blend the best) I could see using up all 8 inputs on the Scarlett (with the multi jacks) but for most stuff I'm thinking 2-4 off the board (like two for the Line 6 dual channel outs and two for mics on the cab). Then a split clean signal going DI via the multi jack for sims.

When I start recording acoustic guitar I might go crazier but I would need some more stands... lol.
Leadfoot
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 20:37:29 (permalink)
Lol...I hear ya. I've heard one of your songs and love your playing, BTW.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/03 21:56:12 (permalink)
Thanks, man. Just wish I had more time/energy to get more stuff produced. I guess that's a common complaint though.
bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 08:44:25 (permalink)
I recently sold an old Ramsa console due to down sizing. I always used the direct outs to my Alesis HD24v XR.  It worked fantastic and left the aux outs for cue mixes and effects. I agree with Scook on the shorter signal chain of direct outs, less chances for routing and gain staging errors, etc. You may benefit from a patch bay to repatch mixer channels to your DAW as needed.

Rocky
sock monkey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 11:54:01 (permalink)
I used one of those for years teamed up with an 8 track. First a Tascam cassette then latter the Yamaha MD8 digital. I always used the direct outs as it was a no brainier. I still have the short wiring harness ( 1/4" to RCA x 8 ) It had the pod thing on the bottom to add more XLR channels right? 
And it was cool ( If I remember ) that the direct outs were separate from the insert jacks? Right? Cause I think I had 3 channels with compressors patched in too. 
I used all the aux for cue mixes and effects. 
I was a fool for selling it but I needed the cash to buy my 01V.  
But one thing I do sort of remember was that Mackie reversed pin 2 and 3 on the main outputs so your out of phase with some gear..could be ? long time ago and I have a very small brain... need more banana coffee...

Your gunna love using a mixer, I couldn't be without one

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 13:17:22 (permalink)
As I was doing my morning wake up routine I was checking out a bunch of youtube vids showcasing various CR1604 models (many of which I watched a few years back but didn't fully understand) so I'm now seeing some of the main differences between the original (which is the one I have), the VLZ (which is the one that came out after that corrected some design complaints and is the one I think Leadfoot has) and some of the newer models.

The original (the one I'm using) is the one that only has the 6 XLR inputs built in and the rest are line in only. That was something that people didn't like for obvious reasons so they released the additional pod to allow XLR input on the last ten channels (which I have). So yeah... if you had the extension pod it was likely the original. The next model they built the extra XLR ins right into the unit. They also moved a bunch of crap around and added some stuff like tape in I think and separated the direct outs from the inserts.

Basically the direct outs (which are labeled Channel Access) on mine are a combo jack that act as inserts as well as direct outs depending on the cable and how far you have it pushed in. A T/S cable pushed halfway in is the direct out that still allows that channel to be heard through the Master output, a T/S pushed all the way in is a direct output that "interrupts" the signal going to the master (which I'm guessing means it can't be heard through the headphones, mains, etc) and a TRS cable pushed all the way in is a proper in/out insert for effects. It's a little confusing. They have their own little block of connections on the back of the unit as opposed to the models after that have the inserts right on each channel (along with the XLR/line in connections) and a separate block of connections specifically for direct outputs.

The other thing they improved after this model was the input trim. On mine they are above the channel input connections (which is kind of a pain to get at and they are those tiny little knobs instead of a full sized knob like  all the other controls). In HOWEVER they also kind of made things a little stupider and unnecessarily complex in many ways so as much as I'd like to have a tape in and trim knobs at the top of the strip and whatever they messed with the buss/aux routing making it more limiting/confusing, tied the headphone output to the Master (which are controlled independently on mine via a fader which is nice) and the really new ones do not look nearly as sturdy.

Unfortunately my model is before the introduction of the Onyx preamps which are supposedly really nice (and you would probably have them Leadfoot) but I'm finding that I'm getting some very nice sound with what I have. Perhaps it is even better suited to what I do anyway.

The one thing is I also looked around at what these boards are going for and it seems they can be had for pretty cheap. Like around $250 BUT they all seem to be beat to hell and/or don't have the pod. I saw a couple guys trying to sell their for $500 (and one guy was even trying for $800 but he ain't gonna get it) so IDK. I think there is far more functional value to the thing than monetary and honestly I'm done selling gear. I got rid of all my crap/unneeded stuff already and kept this thing for a reason and now it is definitely serving its purpose.

I spent a couple hours trying out some sounds through my Keeley MT-2 into the Line 6 into the board (with a light spicing up with the EQ which is AWESOME) and then into Sonar and I'm getting a pretty darn searing, gutsy chunk out of it all.

Now if I could just remember how the heck the guitar parts of my current project go I'll be in business. lol
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 16:19:01 (permalink)
I've just re-integrated a little Mackie mixer to my set up. At first I figured that the USB port would provide an easy solution for 2 way connectivity, but since it's USB 1.1 and 16-bit only, I had to resort to traditional cables.

In this case, because there is no Alt Out, this meant using Aux sends to send the signal to my Scarlett. Does it degrade the signal? I don't know. All I can say is that being able to use the Mackie's EQ on the way in outweigh any disadvantage - especially if I'm tracking with the POD HD. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 16:39:58 (permalink)
I often use a VLZ Mackie. I use the 3/4 Alt bus (which pressing the channel mutes directs the signal to) to record from. Using the mono channel inserts doesn't work for me because I use the stereo channels for synths and they have no insert points. Also I have a compressor occupying channel 1and 2 inserts.

The mixer mains feed a pair of monitors.

Aux 1and 2 are used for delays. These are set fully wet and are used for monitoring only, not sent to the 3/4 bus and so not recorded.

If I needed to use that mixer to record e.g. a drum kit then I would use the mono inserts to split the kit up into tracks in Sonar. I only need (usually) to record one synth at a time, so a stereo pair of outputs works fine for that.

As for noise, can't say I've noticed much unless I crank a channel preamp too much. Crosstalk generally not a problem either. I usually leave the eq flat other than applying the lo-cut rolloff to channels without much bass in them.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 17:01:58 (permalink)
So after working on this most of the afternoon (well the past three days really) I've got things working quite well for my first configuration (Guit to TU-2 with one split going to the Metal Zone into the Line 6 set to split channel and then two outputs going to the board and the second split from the TU-2 going to the multi in on the interface). As much as I wanted to try out the Aux outs (mostly because I finally learned how to use them really) and having that extra level control I've read up on all devices involved and general gain staging with hardware and it's now kind of a no brainer set it and forget it situation with the direct outs (and in retrospect the extra level knob would probably be just one more thing to think about). I'm getting a LOT of sweet bite and crunch out of the board so this seems to be a success. The only crummy thing is the hum from the MT-2 but the sims do that anyway. It was a lot of work too because I had to deal with troubleshooting wonked cables and making decisions on what devices should have which levels set how (the sound wasn't quite as good if I sent the signal into the board hotter with the trim turned down so I turned the output on the Line6 down despite the L6 manual stating that it should be turned up more than anything else but whatever... I guess the board preamps like being pushed a little). All in all a successful and functional experiment. This tone will go onto my current recording.

I do think I may get better results from the Traynor. I also want to toss some mics into things but that is going to be a much more elaborate experiment and I'll have to clean up the tiny room a bit to accommodate stands and whatnot.

I also discovered ANOTHER tuner pedal I have that might act as a splitter so I'm trying to wrap my brain around maybe having both amps running while still having a direct in going to the interface. Currently it's an either or type deal. Eventually once I learn more about what works best for what I won't need these elaborate set ups (I can just make a plan for the track and hook things up the way they need to be) but for now the luxury of all these different sources should be useful.

I really do need a proper DI splitter thingie though but I have more important purchases to make at the moment.

Rain
I've just re-integrated a little Mackie mixer to my set up. At first I figured that the USB port would provide an easy solution for 2 way connectivity, but since it's USB 1.1 and 16-bit only, I had to resort to traditional cables.

In this case, because there is no Alt Out, this meant using Aux sends to send the signal to my Scarlett. Does it degrade the signal? I don't know. All I can say is that being able to use the Mackie's EQ on the way in outweigh any disadvantage - especially if I'm tracking with the POD HD. 

After messing around with this all afternoon I gotta say the best part of running through this Mackie is definitely the EQ. I barely have to touch the thing to drastically alter the sound and it pretty much ALWAYS seems to alter it in a good way as opposed to other boards I've owned where I seem to be chasing the sound I want but never quite catching it.

Very nice.
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 17:06:24 (permalink)
tlw
 I usually leave the eq flat other than applying the lo-cut rolloff to channels without much bass in them.

I wish this model had that low cut as well as the Frequency knob for the mid that the later versions have but really the basic three band is pretty impressive.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 17:17:34 (permalink)
The low cut at 100Hz is one of the reasons I picked the Mackie instead of the other mixers I was considering. In conjunction with the low shelf at 80Hz, it allows me to really clean up the POD HD.

A little notch at 2.5 takes care of the rest and the guitar just seems to sit in the mix so much better, right from the start. I got so carried away with it that I spent almost 2 hours jamming with that set up last night, just for fun. It really tightens things up.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Leadfoot
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 17:58:41 (permalink)
When you get it set the way you like it, let us hear how it sounds!
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/04 19:04:15 (permalink)
I have a CR1604-VLZ that I bought new in 1997.  In my current setup I use the direct outs either directly into my Delta 1010 or into a rack of dbx 160A compressors (which then go into the Delta 1010).  This setup works great for recording drums

The board is designed for split monitoring, or in other words, record to tape using channels 1-8 and then monitor back through the board using channels 9-16.

“Traditionally” there were two methods to output to tape using the Mackie.  Either the DIRECT OUTS or the SUB OUTS.  At that point in the history of home multitrack recording, if you wanted to maximize your routing flexibility you would use the DIRECT OUTS of channels 1-4 into channels 1-4 of your multitrack recorder and then use the 4 SUB OUTS into channels 5-8 of the multitrack recorder.  It was (is?) also possible to use splitter cables on the 4 SUB OUTS into all 8 inputs on the multitrack.

Because you are monitoring through your DAW and not back through the board you can essentially just throw “traditional” out the window and route anyway that works for your needs.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
Beepster
Re: Recording from a Mixer into the DAW: Direct Outs vs. Aux sends? 2014/08/05 12:30:03 (permalink)
@Leadfoot... I was actually thinking of creating a project to specifically to try out and document all the various input configurations I have at my disposal so I could reference it when I'm writing/recording. That way instead of trying to just "remember" what things sounded like I can actually open the bugger up and comb through the various set ups. However there are a LOT of variables and I want to test them all. I've started plotting them all out in a notepad document so I have diagrams to follow when I get around to implementing them.
After a day of making some maps I realized... well this is a BIG undertaking because there are so many variables. I have 2 amps (well one and a half... the Line 6 head and the Traynor which I use as a cab for the Line 6 as needed) with LOTS of possible output combinations (as well as two smaller practice amps with basic line outs and obviously speakers that can be mic'd). The Line 6 itself has 2 channels each with 8 distinct models (for a total of 16) which all have their uses. I have 3 guitars and a bass that need to be tested as well as my acoustic. I have about two dozen mics that are all kind of "so so" but some are really interesting and many are just workhorses that with some coaxing and skillful placement should get some interesting textures going. I have two interfaces with their own unique mic pres (Layla 3g and the Scarlett but I'll probably just stick to the Scarlett). I have two mixers (the Mackie in question and a cheapo Alto that probably isn't worth even hooking up). I have various stomp boxes (like a Dunlop Gain, Boss Yellow(s), the Keeley MT-2, a Death Metal pedal, some weird Korg multi effect pedal with a rocker pedal on it that has some crazy banks and is programmable and I probably have some other boxes I'm forgetting). I've also got TH2 (full version) and GR5 which obviously add about a million other possibilities but that's post input.

Obviously then there is mic positioning and EQ and all sorts of other physical factors.

Sooo... yeah. It started getting a little overwhelming BUT I figure I can experiment and catalog all this stuff over time and keep a master document on how I did it all. Honestly my gear is mostly crap or at the very least not "ideal" so these types of experiments will help me figure out what works and for what and what doesn't as well as be good practice for setting things up and making critical decisions.

For now I'm starting with the simplest, most logical set up for this current project and if I get a chance I'll do a quick export of the tones I'm getting. I am however hoping to get this project done sooner rather than later and post it so either way it's gonna be available.

Yes... I'm a little crazy. ;-p

@QuantumEffect... I've used the Mackie on drums and it is very nice BUT I kept screwing it up. I would always get this nasty "pinging" sound and I think I now know why. I believe that was some kind of loopback thing happening because I only had the direct out Channel Access pushed halfway in so the signal was heading to the master as well instead of just going direct out (must be pushed ALL the way into the Channel Access). I tried the split monitoring thing too for mixing and mixdown but it never worked for the same reason. Just destroyed the signal. However I cannot be sure if that is what was going on because... well I was very drunk back then and was extremely lacking in knowledge. I'm feeling much better now. lol

Also I should probably set my input pod up like you have in that pic. My "studio" is tiny and reaching around the back of the mixer to plug things in/out and just look at what's what back their is really hard on my back (which is a total mess). Not sure why I never bothered doing that before but it was probably fear of breaking the thing due to numbskullery. I'm sure it is much simpler than I've psyched myself out to believe.

Cheers, guys.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1