SOLVED: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates?

Author
joden
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1263
2014/04/15 01:01:40 (permalink)

SOLVED: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates?

I have a lot of projects that are at 48k but I need to drop them down to 44k. Is there a way in Sonar, without having to export as a wav and then re-import into a new project these projects?

I have quite a few with saved effects, eq's and other settings, so it would be really annoying to have to basically go back to the start and re-do the project completely.

Thanks
post edited by joden - 2014/04/15 13:31:41

17 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 01:07:45 (permalink)
    I had to do that a couple times, and never found an easy solution. I came pretty close by opening up the clips in Sound Forge from the Utilities menu, changing the sample rate, then saving. This worked really well except for Acidized clips, which I had to convert to regular clips and then it was okay. But some files didn't seem to like the process; one issue I remember in particular was a clip that used DSP to reverse the wave.

However, the Sound Forge thing got me 90% of the way there and I think would have gotten me 100% of the way there if some of the clips hadn't used complex processes. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has found a simple way to do this.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    joden
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 01:37:59 (permalink)
    Cool, thanks Craig. None are acidized clips, so no probs there. Now, I don't have Sound Forge, but your comment made me think that I DO have Audacity, so I might give that a try.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 01:58:16 (permalink)
    Re-posting my solution from here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/2934357

"This is where a 3rd-party sample-conversion application like the free Voxengo R8Brain comes in handy. R8Brain has a batch mode that will create re-sampled copies of all the audio files in place with the original names and add a prefix/suffix to the original files (or delete them if you so choose). Then when you re-open the original project (or a copy of it) with those re-sampled files in the audio folder, SONAR will automatically set the project rate to match the audio it finds, and you're done.

Though it does involve using a 3rd-party conversion app, it's by far the fastest and least complicated way of converting a project's sample rate and/or bit depth without altering the project otherwise."

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    joden
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 02:28:18 (permalink)
    Thanks BF - I will definitely try that
    joden
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 02:38:23 (permalink)
    One word - Brilliant!  This solution should be a sticky.

Thanks again BF.
    joden
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 13:32:49 (permalink)
    Anderton
    I had to do that a couple times, and never found an easy solution. I came pretty close by opening up the clips in Sound Forge from the Utilities menu, changing the sample rate, then saving. This worked really well except for Acidized clips, which I had to convert to regular clips and then it was okay. But some files didn't seem to like the process; one issue I remember in particular was a clip that used DSP to reverse the wave.

However, the Sound Forge thing got me 90% of the way there and I think would have gotten me 100% of the way there if some of the clips hadn't used complex processes. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has found a simple way to do this.

Craig, you said in your post re any other methods - check out BF's solution above - it works and is so easy!

Dennis
    brundlefly
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 13:39:38 (permalink)
    Cool. Glad to help. I just figured this out a while ago, as I got tired of having to switch my interface to 44.1kHz from my usual 48 to play SONAR demo projects.

Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Anderton
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 16:17:48 (permalink)
    Actually now that you mention it...this was a while ago...I do remember that I also tried just changing the sample rates of all the files in the audio folder, again using Sound Forge, and then opening the Sonar project. Sonar could read most of them okay, but again, with reverse and cut up loops it didn't work. I supposed if I bounced everything to "pure" audio it would be fine, but I wanted to keep the project editable, even with the new sample rate.

I'll have to try again and get a better handle on what does and doesn't work after converting all the files in the audio folder. There may be some simple thing I'm overlooking. Or maybe just bouncing a few strategic files, or changing the position of reversed files, would do the job.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    brundlefly
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 17:25:01 (permalink)
    Yes, I could imagine things might get screwy in a project with non-destructive clip edits/FX/automation in place. I'm not sure how SONAR stores slip-edit and fade locations and such, but if it's by sample position that would be a problem. Unbounced record latency compensation could also throw things off.

Caveat emptor. 

joden
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/04/15 17:31:45 (permalink)
    All I did was bounce the tracks, do a consolidate audio and then run the R8Brain tool. Those projects with really intricate stuff as Craig describes, just have to stay at 48.
    ewb
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/11/30 05:06:59 (permalink)
    Well... after years of wondering if this was possible, I have to say that your solution was about the most painless process imaginable Brundlefly. Thank you.

I have a project that I started on a different soundcard that didn't support 88.2 (my chosen, daily sample rate). The audio was nearly all scratch takes, but there was a ridiculous amount of synth programming, automation, tempo maps, some V-Vocal clips, plenty of fades, etc etc.

It took all of 2 minutes to open R8Brain, suss out what options I needed and successfully convert the project without so much as a manual (including the actual time that R8Brain needed for conversion). The next time this process is needed in my world it will require 10 seconds of clicking and 30 seconds of a bathroom break while R8Brain does its thing.

And every last edit / automation / midi performance etc is perfectly in place. I could believe that certain processes might not play nice and translate, but I'd like to see a definitive list of what these are. Sonar did complain that a corrupt audio region was found and padded with silence, but I examined and listened to every clip with a microscope and could find no affected regions. This warning disappears after saving the project.

I have to agree that this should be a sticky - I've found multiple posts insisting that project sample rate conversion can't be done, or that its problematic and a royal pain at best. The troubling part is that these posts span from a decade ago to very recent - lending credence to the idea that its something best left alone.

Realistically, I don't see why this feature isn't integrated into the core application. If Sonar is basing its project sample rate on the files it is loading (which it very apparently is), a Convert Sample Rate Wizard seems a minor endeavor (and very useful!).
    Anderton
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/11/30 10:33:53 (permalink)
    joden
    All I did was bounce the tracks, do a consolidate audio and then run the R8Brain tool. Those projects with really intricate stuff as Craig describes, just have to stay at 48.

Since my original response, I've used Sound Forge's batch function on the project audio folder, and it works fine. There's also a way to deal with the intricate stuff. Bouncing a clip to itself converts to a standard WAV file, but also, "saving as," specifying save with all audio with project, and checking create "one file per clip" creates a separate project folder and tidies it up by making sure the length of each clip is exactly the same as what it is in the project. Then you batch convert everything in the new project folder. If there are any issues, you still have the original files just in case. 

Anderton
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/11/30 10:38:43 (permalink)
    Instead of making this a sticky, maybe it would make sense for me to download R8Brain, provide some more details, and turn it into a tip of the week. Thanks all, great suggestions.

brundlefly
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/11/30 12:11:27 (permalink)
    ewb
    Well... after years of wondering if this was possible, I have to say that your solution was about the most painless process imaginable Brundlefly. Thank you.

You're welcome; glad to see you found your way to this post. No doubt some of the "it gets ugly; don't try it" posts of old are mine.   It can get to be a problem when searching for solutions on the forum that there's a lot of outdated or just plain wrong advice; not much to be done about that, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Dave

ewb
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/11/30 18:40:23 (permalink)
    The organization of all of the worlds forum-derived information is an active area of interest of mine. The amount of useful data on even the most niche topic is staggering, but it is dwarfed by the amount of noise that must be filtered (conversation, argument, trolls, antiquated answers, duplicate answers, troubleshooting steps, experimental solutions etc).

I like to envision that in the future there will be standard, conversational forums but also a sort of dynamic wiki/faq that is algorithmically generated and very to the point. Perhaps the underlying method would rely on the assistance of a post-voting system, moderator voting and cross referencing of other forums that support the technology. If multiple, valid solutions present themselves for a particular problem ("How do you stop a puppy from chewing your stuff?") then they should be presented with a similarly dynamically generated list of pros / cons / caveats per each solution.

Questions with subjective answers are a bit more difficult to approach, as taste and culture dont particularly march to the same beat as our logical / technical understanding of the universe. But, for each such question there is usually a pretty grounded set of answers defining the problems involved in truly answering it. For example - "What is the best preamp!??!!" Well, technically there is no such... (etc).

Were a user to attempt posting a question that is already well documented, the forum interface itself would kindly direct the user to said documentation (with an option to post the question anyway, were there still confusion).

Perhaps its all poppycock and wishful thinking, but I'd like to believe one of the data giants is working on it in secret.

Sorry to hijack / rant. My coffee is finished and I'm off!
    maltastudio
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 343
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/12/01 02:16:37 (permalink)
    Great idea thanks guys I wished i could do this for ages,without realizing  how easy it is.
    I tried it and worked great.

Peace

Maltastudio

Win 10 home 64Bit  
    Sonar Platinum Latest 64Bit  
    Pro Tools 12.. Latest
    Motu 624 AVB , Yamaha 01v96i
    www.maltastudio.com
    https://soundcloud.com/charlesmuscat
    lawp
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1154
    Re: Without exporting, is there a way to convert CWP sample rates? 2014/12/01 07:27:40 (permalink)
    ewb
    The organization of all of the worlds forum-derived information is an active area of interest of mine. The amount of useful data on even the most niche topic is staggering, but it is dwarfed by the amount of noise that must be filtered (conversation, argument, trolls, antiquated answers, duplicate answers, troubleshooting steps, experimental solutions etc).

that's the beauty of the internet - it's like real life, you have to use critical thinking :-)
    while the sheer volume can be overwhelming, i suspect the ratio of good to bad info is roughly the same

sstteerreeoo ffllllaanngge
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1