[SOLVED] X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
noynekker
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1235
2013/09/29 21:43:30 (permalink)

[SOLVED] X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ?

Never had this with previous versions, but now in X3a, when any project is saved there is a new file being saved as well as the .cwp file.
 For example when test.cwp is saved, it adds the file test.cwp.assets (2kb)

Can I turn this off ? What is it ? Anybody else have these ?
post edited by noynekker - 2014/01/01 23:45:27

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

48 Replies Related Threads

Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/09/29 21:47:33 (permalink)
    This is intentional. It's for the Gobbler integration. The .assets tells Gobbler what to sync if you upload your project. It's actually pretty cool. If you delete it SONAR is going to create it again on save, so there's no need.

Ryan Munnis
    Cakewalk
    noynekker
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/09/29 21:51:59 (permalink)
    Understood Ryan, however, it certainly does add more clutter to the directories.
    If I'm not going to use Gobbler can't I turn it off somewhere ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/09/29 21:56:12 (permalink)
    It's actually a hidden file by default, so it's probably more of an annoyance to you if you've enabled Windows to show hidden files. I'm not sure if it can be disabled, I'll have to check when in the office tomorrow, but I don't think it can. I believe it's part of the save process with X3 in general.

You don't keep your project files in their own folders? I personally always work out of folders, so all audio and extra assets are in a single folder. There's no need to worry about clutter if you're moving the global folder around.

Ryan Munnis
    Cakewalk
    noynekker
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/09/29 22:04:10 (permalink)
    Yes, I have all project files in their own folders.
    I've turned off Windows "show hidden files" . . . that helps, thanks for the tip.

Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/09/29 22:08:41 (permalink)
    If it bugs you turn off show hidden files in Windows :)

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    javahut
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 361
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/23 12:23:02 (permalink)
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    If it bugs you turn off show hidden files in Windows :)

How about if it bugs us, we get you to let us turn off the creation of it in Sonar?

I want to see hidden files in some applications. I have no intention of EVER using Gobbler for anything. I don't want to see these extraneous files created by Sonar I will never use. This needs to be an option... not just to turn off being able to see them, but to turn off the creation of them. I think there was an option in the Sonar X3 upgrade for Gobbler, and I did not select it. Yet I still get files related to Gobbler created? These are useless files to me, and I don't want to turn off viewing hidden files globally. I don't recall any other program on a PC that I've ever used, at all, that creates useless 'hidden' files in the same folder with the main application 'project' files.

Why should users who don't want to use Gobbler have to put up with these extra files that have no other purpose? Doesn't make sense. 

downtempo.dub.psychedelic.twang
    Canartic.Modulotion.out now!
    Canartic . Lossless Downloads now available.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/23 12:38:25 (permalink)
    Omg it's really bothering you to look at a few 2/3kb files?
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/23 13:53:36 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    Omg it's really bothering you to look at a few 2/3kb files?

There will probably be additional files that get added to projects as things evolve and new features get added - pick your battles, this one is really a non-issue.

Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    I personally always work out of folders, so all audio and extra assets are in a single folder. There's no need to worry about clutter if you're moving the global folder around.

Keeping your projects and in separate folders is really the only way to go. If you've ever have to move a project to a different system it will save your sanity.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/23 14:09:11 (permalink)
    Sonar keeps adding this .cwp file every time I save my project....  

Uh, Yeesh.

laudem Deo
    Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    • Total Posts : 814
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/23 14:10:25 (permalink)
    TheSteven

There will probably be additional files that get added to projects as things evolve and new features get added - pick your battles, this one is really a non-issue.

We've got a winner here 

While there may not be more files in the future, the way the asset file was designed, it allows us to leverage off it for future features.

Best Regards,
    Seth
    javahut
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 12:57:42 (permalink)
    Sorry, but this is really cheezy design.

If you must have extra files to keep track of data... why not keep all of the extraneous files in their own 'Assets' folder within the main Project folder... rather than continue to clutter up the main Project folder? It wouldn't bother me in the least to have one extra folder for storing these files within the main Project folder. However, stuffing the main Project folder, especially if you intend to come up with even more junk files to keep track of... is ugly.

And I agree with the first poster... makes it ugly to keep track of your Project files. I save projects continually as I'm working with new suffixes. I may save 100 Project files for a single Project in 1 day. Then to add, on top of that... your 100 extra Gobbler files (which is ridiculous, because I'm not EVER going to use it)... is, not only ugly, but irritating. Especially when all it would take is to store those files in their own sub folder.

Really... the only beef I have with X3. Otherwise, it's great! Who could've ever imagined you'd start automatically stuffing the Project folder with files I have absolutely no need for (at this point... unless you, indeed, start adding something actually useful to them later on). Just give them their own "Assets" sub-folder.

Luckily... I use Directory Opus, which allows me to easily save the fact that I no longer want to view files in Sonar Project folders that have a file extension of '.cwp.assets', so I don't have to look at 'em at all, and it's an immediate fix. Otherwise, this would be extremely irritating.

Can't believe there aren't more complaints about this.

Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 13:01:04 (permalink)
    Would be nice to have an option to turn off gobbler functionality completely, but I'm not pissing my pants about it right now.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    dke
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 13:26:17 (permalink)
    I agree they are an annoyance, but there are bigger annoyances that I deal with every time I'm working in Sonar, not just when I happen to be browsing my Projects folders.  An option to completely turn gobbler functionality off would be nice, but not critical by any stretch.

Dan

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
    cliffr
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 539
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:07:52 (permalink)
    Yes, it would be good to have the option.
    I can't see myself ever using it, and it is more clutter of files.

So, is it OK to delete them then ?

Cheers - Cliff

i7-950 24 GB, GTX 580, W7/64 Ultimate, Sonar Platinum, Alesis MasterControl, KRK Rokit RP8g2s
    Some Real piano, basses, and guitars, Komplete 8Ultimate, Ibanez guitars, MusicLab RG/Strat/LPC, Trilian, Omnisphere, RMX, EWQL SO Platinum, Pianos, Choirs, VOP, Gypsy, Goliath, SD2, MOR, Ra, HS, HB, too many plugs, Midi controllers, and all kinds of weird gadgets
    My Soundclick Page 
    Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:14:00 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS
    Would be nice to have an option to turn off gobbler functionality completely, but I'm not pissing my pants about it right now.

dke
    I agree they are an annoyance, but there are bigger annoyances that I deal with every time I'm working in Sonar, not just when I happen to be browsing my Projects folders.  An option to completely turn gobbler functionality off would be nice, but not critical by any stretch.

Dan

Just don't install Gobbler and it's completely disabled.

Best Regards,
    Seth
    cliffr
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:16:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Seth,

how do you uninstall it ?.

Cheers - Cliff

i7-950 24 GB, GTX 580, W7/64 Ultimate, Sonar Platinum, Alesis MasterControl, KRK Rokit RP8g2s
    Some Real piano, basses, and guitars, Komplete 8Ultimate, Ibanez guitars, MusicLab RG/Strat/LPC, Trilian, Omnisphere, RMX, EWQL SO Platinum, Pianos, Choirs, VOP, Gypsy, Goliath, SD2, MOR, Ra, HS, HB, too many plugs, Midi controllers, and all kinds of weird gadgets
    My Soundclick Page 
    Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:18:35 (permalink)
    You only have to uninstall if you've gone to their website and downloaded it. It does not install with SONAR. 

Otherwise it'll live in Control Panel > Programs and Features

Best Regards,
    Seth
    cliffr
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:22:28 (permalink)
    Ahh right, I didn't install it. But Sonar still creates the .assets files - so you can't disable that file creation can you ?

Cheers - Cliff

My Soundclick Page 
    dke
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:24:10 (permalink)
    Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    CakeAlexS

dke

Dan

Just don't install Gobbler and it's completely disabled.

Well not completely or there wouldn't be 10 .asset files in my current project. :)

Dan

Sonar Platinum ( x64),  Windows 10 x64, HP Envy i5 2.9GHZ, 8GB, Tascam 4x4 USB, BX5a Monitors.
    Seth Kellogg [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:26:10 (permalink)
    cliffr
    Ahh right, I didn't install it. But Sonar still creates the .assets files - so you can't disable that file creation can you ?

Cheers - Cliff

dke

Well not completely or there wouldn't be 10 .asset files in my current project. :)

Dan

The Assets file, while currently only used for Gobbler, will most likely be used for other features in the future. It's a SONAR feature. It's creation cannot be turned off at this time. You may delete the file and move your projects as normal. It will be re-created on save.

Best Regards,
    Seth
    cliffr
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:30:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Seth.

As someone else mentioned, it would be nice if they were saved in their own folder.

Cheers - Cliff

My Soundclick Page 
    Ryan Munnis [Cakewalk]
    Administrator
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 15:36:52 (permalink)
    They save in the same directory that the project file is located. If you were to collaborate with someone and send them your project file, they might not have the same directory as you, so having these files all save to a unique location on your computer would break functionality. It's designed this way intentionally with future enhancements in mind.

If you place the project in it's own folder (like I was mentioning above), then your project file, assets file, and audio files will always be in one easy to locate place.

Project Folder\
    Project Folder\SONAR Project File.cwp
    Project Folder\SONAR Project File.cwp.assets (hidden by default)
    Project Folder\Audio Files\*

That's my recommendation at least. Even if you keep hidden files shown, with the above project management the assets file will still be organized in the same folder as your project file.

This really isn't much different from picture cache and assets folders that other DAWs create when saving project files.

The nice thing about the assets files though, is that even if you delete them, you won't break your project, so there's no need to really manage them with any fear that you're going to ruin the project (like you might do if you're not careful with your audio files).

Ryan Munnis
    Cakewalk
    musec03
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 16:03:33 (permalink)
    ...gotta say this again...

It is very cool to see all the CW folks here actively involved in a good topic.
    I just learned about things I probably would have been mystified seeing for the first time.
    All of it makes sense and the architecture of "going forward" is very sound logic.

...Thanks to ALL of You

ASUS G10AJ, WIN 8.1 Home Premium 64 bit, Intel Core i73610QM, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M, Presonus Studio 192
    SuperG
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1371
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 17:44:10 (permalink)
    I get the feeling some folks tend to create all of their projects in the root cakewalk projects folder, then wonder why everything is a mess....

laudem Deo
    cliffr
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 18:48:52 (permalink)
    SuperG
    I get the feeling some folks tend to create all of their projects in the root cakewalk projects folder, then wonder why everything is a mess....

Certainly not the case here, and I can't really imagine too many people don't use "Per-Project Folders".

The line I'm thinking along is more like ... putting the 'assets' files into their own folder - so instead of;

Project Folder\
    Project Folder\SONAR Project File.cwp.assets (hidden by default)

We would have ...

Project Folder\
    Project Folder\Assets\SONAR Project File.cwp.assets (hidden by default)

IMHO it would certainly be tidier.

Cheers - Cliff

My Soundclick Page 
    noynekker
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/24 22:30:33 (permalink)
    I guess I'm surprised this thread keeps popping up again, nice to see the varied comments and opinions regarding this.

As stated early in this thread . . . if you don't like the .assets files . . . switch view Windows hidden files to off position, I did, and I know how to turn it back on again if I need to see my hidden files. If we delete them, as stated earlier, they will come back as soon as you save your project again.

Also, Cakewalk has stated here that there will be future use for these .assets files in future software enhancements, I'm okay with that, there is an apparent plan.
    So . . . If we uninstall Gobbler in Control Panel, for now, will that affect future X series software features from functioning properly ?

Not sure what the connection about all this is to "per project folders" ?
    . . . because when you save your project, it places the .assets file in the per project folder right there with the .cwp file.
    It's mostly when I go to do my backup, look at different saved versions, or copy a wavefile mix somewhere else, that the "clutter" factor of .assets files arises.
    I've turned off Windows viewing of hidden files, I'm good, for now.

post edited by noynekker - 2013/10/24 23:27:26

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/25 02:01:31 (permalink)
    My last 2 cents on this before moving on from this thread.
    • When I save a song or even a version of a song - I save it to a new folder.
      When I need to back up or archive that version I back up the whole folder, never bother messing with the contents.
      Don't have to worry about extra files, missing files or screwing up another take/version if I remove a project from my system.
    • The file sizes of the .assetts file are small - the ones found on a big project of mine are like 32KB in size. Not like their huge sizes are ruining my backup strategy.
    • If we need to move the asset file to a subfolder then shouldn't the autobackups be in a subfolder too?
      MHO is that they're both fine where they are at. I think the layout structure is pretty enough as is.
    This discussion was interesting but now I've got more important things to obsess over like did I overdo the panning of the delay at the end of that synth lead or my kids Halloween custom.

Peace out / best regards

...Steven

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/25 03:17:11 (permalink)
    If you have lots of them within a single folder you can still choose to sort by type and you won't even really need to look at them.
    javahut
    Re: X3a is adding another file with .assets file extension when saving projects ? 2013/10/25 09:39:41 (permalink)
    I would venture to say there are many more people who are NOT sharing projects than are. So putting them in the main Project folder because of a few that might share their project, while many people have absolutely no need to see them... but DO need to see the various main Project files... still makes no sense. If you know you want to share your file... then you either know or don't know that you also need to send the 'assets' file with it (along with all the audio files, which BTW are not in the same folder as the project, but have to sent). If you're sending someone your Project to work on... your already know you have to send your audio folder file. Why wouldn't it be just as easy to send an 'assets' folder with it?

Yes, it's not a huge deal... it's just a very inefficient waste of screen space, and extra files that have to be dealt with at some point... when they are, in fact, pointless to many , if not most, users. However, the Project files themselves are a main function of Sonar.

You don't have to do the right thing by giving them their own 'assets' folder. But it's damn sure not efficient, and is ugly and annoying to look at a new, additional, useless, 'assets' file for every single Project Save I do. Why not just stick all the audio and wave picture files in there to? That way they'll all be 'in one, easy to locate place'.

And on top of that... you're even saying that the files don't matter... a new one is created again every time you hit Save. If they don't matter, and we only need them for info, why even create them in the first place. If at some point they're needed by someone to share a project... just put an extra menu function to 'Save w/ Assets'.

Whomever thought this was a good design idea was... wrong.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1